Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Smaller grip w/o battery as ergonomic add-on

Hello everyone!

I'd like to know if anyone knows about a grip that adds some size to the camera, but not too much. The K-5 fits my hand perfectly, except for the little finger, which is sadly left to hang around. The catch? I have a Kata 144 DL I'd like to continue using, but K-5 + D-BG4 is a combo that wouldn't sit inside the way I like it. So I'm looking for a half-height replacement for the OEM grip. If I don't get an answer I'll DIY something.

04-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
If I don't get an answer I'll DIY something.
I seriously doubt that there is anything available that isn't the same dimensions as the OEM grip. You could try an L-bracket, or screw a piece of wood, or metal to the tripod socket. Not very convenient for changing batteries I suppose.
04-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
nothing available AFAIK. Some people have rigged things up for the KR and Kx though - homemade and generally fugly though
04-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
nothing available AFAIK. Some people have rigged things up for the KR and Kx though - homemade and generally fugly though
Yeah I've seen that Turkish thing for a K20D-or-something

QuoteQuote:
You could try an L-bracket, or screw a piece of wood, or metal to the tripod socket. Not very convenient for changing batteries I suppose.
I want something that stands up to the camera's ergonomics. The batteries aren't that much of a problem. My plan was to buy a OEM-clone (the "type 2"), gut out the top metal plate & connectors and stick something below that would continue the camera lines. + add extra tripod holes to the bottom.

04-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #5

WR

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Hello everyone!

I'd like to know if anyone knows about a grip that adds some size to the camera, but not too much. The K-5 fits my hand perfectly, except for the little finger, which is sadly left to hang around. The catch? I have a Kata 144 DL I'd like to continue using, but K-5 + D-BG4 is a combo that wouldn't sit inside the way I like it. So I'm looking for a half-height replacement for the OEM grip. If I don't get an answer I'll DIY something.
You may want to consider WR in your DIY to prevent any moisture from coming in contact with the connectors on the bottom of the K5.

JC
04-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jessecad Quote
You may want to consider WR in your DIY to prevent any moisture from coming in contact with the connectors on the bottom of the K5.

JC
Already thought of that https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/180849-crazy-idea-re-d-b...r-sealing.html
04-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, if your pockets are pretty deep, there are rapid prototyping services available. We had something made by Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM) process. It turned out fantastic and only cost couple thousand.

04-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Well, if your pockets are pretty deep, there are rapid prototyping services available. We had something made by Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM) process. It turned out fantastic and only cost couple thousand.
Heck, maybe someday a do-it-yourselfer could run down to their local electronics store and buy their own 3D printer. There are kits now, but low resolution. There are also durability concerns....
05-01-2012, 05:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, AFAIK the cheapest 3D printer is the Makerbot, which could cost ~1500€. Not budget friendly. And the durability bugs me too. The photo club I'm in is based in a technical school centre, and a primary school also has a sort of hobby club, using the school's tech class equipment.
05-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
Forum Member

get some styrofoam and bondo kind of like making a surfboard.
05-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you can make a 3-d model you can send it out for 3-d printing. You can search for websites that do it. It is not horrendously expensive, but it depends on what material(s) you want ot use. You can even buy a cheap knock-off of the OEM grip to get the dimensions. You can probably even get that scanned and modify the model to get the shape that you want. Depending on how industrious you want to get, you can probably sell them.
05-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually, I thought about buying a knock-off just for the top plate, with connectors and sealing ridges. But that scanning is one heck of an idea.