Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #16

The people I have heard of who dropped Canons have all finished up with broken cameras. The people I've heard of who got Canons wet have all finished up with non functioning cameras. Don't know many with Nikons so don't have any anecdotal info to share about them. Strangely though they tell me my Pentaxes are 'junk' and they'd never buy Pentax because Canons are 'better'. Everyone to their own thing I guess.

Maybe someday I should do a search on the net for a thread about the toughness of Canons and Nikons? A search to find disatisfied Canon and Nikon buyers might be revealing too - I know there are at least some out there in the world. A fellow Pentax user shared his thought that Pentax users are a small subset of humanity who tend to be individualistic and open to honest sharing. Unhappy Canon and Nikon users are maybe embarassed/brainwashed and hesitate to say negative things about their brand!

05-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #17

Original Poster
canajuneh , I feel that's a bit like Apple users like my stepson. He loves Apple (but of course he doesn't want to cough up for their products) , and is a REAL fanboy. I love building pc's and overclocking the heck out of them. I don't care for Apple's proprietary requirements or their inflated cost. I got back into photography a few years ago. I used to use a Minolta X700 back in the days of film, and when looking at cameras was leaning towards a Canon or Nikon because I didn't see any Pentax's being offered in the stores around DC. A friend I made on a pc forum who taught me how to overclock suggested I look into the K7 which I did and purchased. I now find Pentax's products to be excellent pieces of equipment. When I held the other two brands I found what most do, they feel plasticy and cheap. Not so with the K7. That's really what brought me to the fold. I didn't know anything about digital photography a few years back but the FEEL of the Pentax fit my hand like a glove, and now I find that they can take a beating although I don't recomend it. I'm willing to bet that you would find exactly what you described about the toughness of C and N products.
05-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by canajuneh Quote
Don't know many with Nikons so don't have any anecdotal info to share about them.
My Nikon D3 with the 70-200 VR fell about six feet and the top of the camera, above the prism, hit the corner of a concrete step and the metal body actually cracked open:

It was my busy time of year, so I didn't want to send it in if I didn't have to. I shot two sessions with it the following day, and kept shooting for a few weeks before finally sending it in.

To the OP, not to make you uneasy, but I had another accident with my D3 the year before this one. I T-boned a deer at high speed on the interstate, and the camera, with the 85/1.4 D mounted, was in the front seat. It smashed against the dashboard as the airbags deployed, and wound up on the passenger seat floor among broken glass. I checked the functionality of the camera before I called my wife for a ride, LOL. It seemed fine, and I shot with it for several months. But I started to worry because I felt like I was getting fewer perfectly-focused shots at f/1.4, so I sent it in. The camera's lens mount had been cocked a little, and so had the bayonet on the lens. Nikon replaced them both. If you like shooting with wide apertures, this might be a good time to shoot some focus targets, just to convince yourself everything is still OK.
05-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks Todd. I'm still concerned, don't get me wrong. I didn't have a focus gizmo so I just shot our license plate from different distances and different focal lengths with my Sigma 10-20mm and at differing F stops and checked "her out" on my software and still working fine (with fingers crossed). I'll run up to the camera shop later and get one of those focusing kits to check it out but, I think it's going to be fine. It only fell half the distance yours did and like I said it landed on the hood of my Sigma 30mm prime which I shot at a bunch of apertures the day of the mishap. I know 3 feet doesn't sound like much compared to your accident but it is a precision instrument. Also you said you had two mishaps and I also checked airbag deploymeny speeds and 8-14 mph is the typical deployment speed in a frontal impact. no way did it reach 8 mph (which I highly doubt you were going at when you hit the deer or I think you would have just used the brakes). And the other thing is it was a Nikon, JUST KIDDING. I've watched Youtube demonstrations of tablets getting dropped to see what height the screen broke. Was very interesting. Seems 5' and above was the limit. Not saying this is anything like that but that I'm pretty confident the plastic hood acted as a shock absorber as it was cocked. Even the hood did not get scratched, mishaped, nothing. I think for a while I will be shooting with this in the back of my mind but I have decided to keep my K7 as a backup should this develop into an issue.

05-02-2012, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

I've always been a huge advocate of lens hoods for this reason. The somewhat bendy hood could easily have absorbed the bulk of the shock.
05-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #21

Original Poster
Yes, I figure that I paid for it, it came with the lens and I'm going to use it!