Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #1

dropped and lived

Has anyone ever dropped their K-5 and had it live?

04-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nope dropped my K20D, twice, once from about 5 foot onto grass (survived but lens didn't- focus knackered) once from 4 foot onto concrete (still works but large hole in upper casing resulting in loss of WR; DA16-45 fine)That's why Ive got a K5 now. Trying not to drop it although annoyingly did scratch the real LCD on a concrete fence post.
04-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, my screen protector is cracked from a drop. Not a big drop, but enough to do that... No apparent problems.
04-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

No, thankfully.

04-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
Nope dropped my K20D, twice, once from about 5 foot onto grass (survived but lens didn't- focus knackered) once from 4 foot onto concrete (still works but large hole in upper casing resulting in loss of WR; DA16-45 fine)That's why Ive got a K5 now. Trying not to drop it although annoyingly did scratch the real LCD on a concrete fence post.
Wow; I would not wish to be your insurer!
04-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #6

Original Poster
Wow, I never thought of insurance. I might look into that, but the reason I posted this (as I cross myself looking skyward) is I had an incident today with my 5 day old K-5. It took a plunge off the dining room table onto a tile floor. I was scared to death as I picked it up anticipating at least some kind of damage. I saw that it landed I presume first on the lens hood of my Sigma prime 30mm and the hood was cocked. I turned it on and had an error reading the SD card. No broken glass or plastic was evident. I removed the card, the battery and the lens and put them back and turned it on and all was fine except for a speck of dust showing through the viewfinder so I did a shake and blew off the sensor and the dust was gone. Still not trusting what I saw I took it out and shot about 50 images through several lenses and all was good.I'm still claiming divine intervention as I can hardly believe how lucky, or blessed I was. I suspect that the Sigma lens hood took the brunt of the impact, Thank you Lord and Sigma! Since I have not gotten a favorable reply, I think both are responsible for my good fortune. I had just retired here to the Vegas area one year ago and pulled my K-7 out to shoot the beautiful scenery we have and was disappointed with the images I was getting hence the move to the K-5. I was going to sell th K-7 but I'm thinkong I will hang on to it just in case.I must admit I saw a world of improvement with IQ using the K-5' I really was starving for something to get me out of the house more often and since I don't gamble the awesome desert and mountains were begging me to photograph them. I can't reccomend anyone else try to duplicate what I have done. From now on I will be doing my viewing in the second floor CARPETED office!!
04-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thought I would post some evidence of my "blessing".

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

04-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It has only been a couple of weeks since I posted this.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/183101-k-5-toughness.html
04-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #9

Original Poster
James, thank you for your reply. You are the first person to post a positive incident and I appreciate it. That is exactly what I thought after my heart stopped racing but I had to prove to myself by doing some quick shooting. One tough rig. I was starting to think that the K-5's might be a questionable expenditure from reading the posts of all the issues people have had with these cameras. You and I are proof that they can take a licking and keep on ticking!!
04-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rludwic Quote
Has anyone ever dropped their K-5 and had it live?
On the first couple of months after purchase, i was going to work (i was late, so i was in a rush...), grabbed my backpack, a NatGeo small earth explorer, swang it quickly to my back when i heard a "bok", strong and behind me. I turned and, horrorified, i saw my camera on the floor, standing like it had been put there, (i mean, flash upwards).
As i said, i was in a rush. Pick it up, put it on the backpack and got out. In the way, i took some pictures to see what was the status and got relified that the camera was always as it meant to be. The lens in the camera were the 18-135, that just got the zoom jammed a bit, but i just forced it a little to get like nothing ever happened.

The only signal that it crashed on the floor is a small dent mark close to the mode dial.

Ever since, i always check if my bags are well closed before anything else.
04-30-2012, 11:22 PM   #11

Original Poster
The ironic thing is I was getting up to get some scissors to trim a display protector for the rear LCD .As I said, I will be doing my viewing and editing in the 2nd floor office I've created that has my rediculously, incredibly fast yet expensive desktop pc that I should be using for editing instead of at the dining room table.
05-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #12

I dropped my K5 onto concrete while walking across a parking lot. Bent the rim of the lens - everything worked fine!
05-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #13

I too had my K5 drop from kitchen counter onto a tile floor. The lens hood took the brunt of the fall as it actually broke the lens hood off my tamron 17-50. I was really concerned that their was internal damage. Turned the camera on, took some pics. Everything was fine except for the broken lens hood and some marks on body of lens. Oh, I had my camera on my tripod at the time. The tripod wasn't extended as I had just come in from taking some night pictures. This is one tough camera!
05-02-2012, 03:29 AM   #14

Wearing my K10 around the neck & felling rather warm, I removed my 'pullover' carefully making sure that the K10 was safe - to my horror it fell to the ground with my jumper.

It landed on the grass verge beside my feet onto the jumper & thankfully suffered no visible/mechanical damage.
05-02-2012, 05:42 AM   #15
Inactive Account

I was on a local beach a few weeks ago and slipped on some wet rocks. Landed about as hard as I could possibly could, with all my weight on my right hand that was holding my K5, so it had a good 80 kilos of body weight plus inertia landing on it on top of a rock. Under water. Salt water. I pulled it up dripping with slime and seaweed, gave it a rinse, dried off the front element and carried on shooting. The only damage is a small chip of paint under the onboard flash, a few of the knurls on the mode dial are squashed, and there's a scuff on the lens hood (18-55 kit lens). I can't emphasise how hard I landed on the camera; I could barely move my right hand for a week after and had a huge bruise to match the grip. These things are seriously tough.

As an aside, the KX is pretty sturdy too. The strap on mine gave way a year or so ago and it landed on a cobbled lane from nearly 2m up - the old Vivitar flash on there exploded and I dented the filter thread on my SMC 24mm, but there wasn't a scratch on the body itself and it's still working perfectly today, though that's the last time I use a velcro closure wrist strap, that's for sure.

Not knocking any other brands, but when I pick up my friends' Canons and Nikons they just feel flimsy and cheap in comparison; they creak when squeezed gently. Sonys feel nice 'n' sturdy to me, but not like Pentax - they feel like a precision instrument manufactured from high quality materials and with tight tolerances. Not surprisingly as that's exactly what they are...