Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #1

The Pentax after shock !!

Hi there,

I got a K5 with the DA* 16-50, I love this combination and I will shoot no matter the weather, it hardly fails on me, except that it hangs occasionally after 100+ shots, must remove battery to reset, this is nothing really bad as this also happen on other middle top class models as far as I have heard of.

Unfortunately the day finally came the set got a real challenge, I carelessly dropped my unpadded backpack with the K5 and lens in it, to the concrete floor about 1.5 ft below !! the first thing I saw when I pick up the camera was the top LCD display, the plastic cover popped out, and the digits keep jumping non stop, all controls failed to respond, I remove and put back the battery and restart the camera few times, then the display came back normally. I then try a few shots and it seemed to work normally, but later I discovered that the lens failed to lock focus at the wide end at about 10 ft. away, but it works fine at 35mm and up.

I unmounted the lens and see no damage, I remounted the lens and it properly locked in place, the operation is still smooth like before without noise. The camera also looks good, no noticeable damage, but the AF assist light did not come one. I then reset to default setting and then the AF light came back, but the focus still off at the wide end. I then sent the set for repair, hopefully it is just bad contacts on the electronics, or readjustment of the sensor....etc., but I still have to prepare to pay for the repair, although it is still under warranty, this kind of service undoubtedly not covered !! may be Ricoh Pentax has to add shock resistance on their next K, may be a K3 ?

05-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
thing is for these type of accidents it's all in how it lands. the mount is a particularly susceptible spot, and the damage may not be apparent. I was reading a comment from a repair guy that replacing lens mounts is one of the most common jobs they do (this was on a dpreview thread about Nikon no longer shipping parts to independent repair shops)
05-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #3

Original Poster
I suppose the focusing problem will be more obvious at the long end of the lens, if the lens mount shifted or deformed, but it is still needle sharp over there, but who knows !
05-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure that "shock resistance" can be added on any piece of photo equipment, it would make them unnecessarily bulky for 99% of the time. I know it happens, but I don't think the K-5 could be put at fault.

05-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a bunch of shock-resistant P&S cameras, for which I'm grateful. DSLRs, though, I don't know - the big moving parts will be vulnerable as will the lens mount and lens. They could learn some lessons from their own tough line for protecting electronics. I'm sure.
05-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
but I still have to prepare to pay for the repair, although it is still under warranty, this kind of service undoubtedly not covered
FWIW...Some home insurance policies may cover this type of damage...

JC
05-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #7

Original Poster
Ok I got back the set after 10 days of service, actually it doesn't take that long to repair, but I must wait at least a week for answer from the local service center, and now the set works again like new, I find that some other problem I did not mention has been fixed too ! I got a 50-200WR and it always over exposed by a stop or so, since I don't have any problem with other lenses so I blame it to the lens, but now it has been fixed too, it's the camera's fault, I did not bring along the lens for repair !! and I asked the technician about the weather sealing of the pop up flash, can I use it in the rain, he said it should be fine to use it, and he has never serviced a K5 due to rain water got in, the set would survive in most situation, as long as we use it 'sensibly' ! that's good enough for me, I know even Goretex fails some time !

One problem remains unsolved, the camera will freeze after about every 100 shots, can't even power off must remove battery to reset, and I already have the latest firmware, so hopefully it is not a h/w fault and can be fixed via future FW update, I believe I'm not alone on this.