Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2012, 12:09 AM   #1

Manual lens and exposure

Hi All,

What is the easiest way to properly expose your manual lenses? (any modes you prefer: M, SV, AV, TV or TAV)

What I do is set to M mode, choose the preferred aperture, set iso to lowest possible setting 80-100, then press the green button
- shutter speed will be set according to this set-up (if shutter is too high, i can still lower the iso if on higher setting) until i reach min 1/125 and max 1/FL or 1/20 (worst case scenario)

Any other ways you are currently using?

Thanks in advance...

05-03-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Everything you need is right here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html
05-03-2012, 01:34 AM   #3

Original Poster
Got it Chaos nice thread thanks,

How about SV and TAV options?
05-03-2012, 02:02 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HoBykoYan Quote
Got it Chaos nice thread thanks,

How about SV and TAV options?
As far as I am aware, you can only use Av and M modes with manual lenses at least on a K-7 anyway.

05-03-2012, 03:58 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
As far as I am aware, you can only use Av and M modes with manual lenses at least on a K-7 anyway.
Look in the back of the manual, there is a chart describing functions available with lenses.

In short, for M42 Av and M, for K mounts, M only as Av mode fires only with the aperture wide open, with KA and later lenses , all exposure modes
05-03-2012, 04:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Look in the back of the manual, there is a chart describing functions available with lenses.

In short, for M42 Av and M, for K mounts, M only as Av mode fires only with the aperture wide open, with KA and later lenses , all exposure modes
Yeah I haven't got that far in my reading of the manual yet.. still about half way after 15 months of having the camera
05-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

With any non-A / non-AF lens, any camera Auto mode will default to Av. With screwmount and other adapted lenses, Av is useful -- just spin the aperture ring to set the f-stop (although f/8 or tighter may be hard to see TTL). With K- and M-type lenses, in Av they only shoot wide-open, while M mode allows Green-button stop-down metering and exposure.

With K- and M-type lenses on my K20D, I'll leave the Mode dial at TAv, right next to M, and I'll set the lens to a convenient aperture like f/5.6 or whatever. Yes, TAv defaults to Av. So I can shoot wide-open, and if I need that tighter aperture, a quick twitch of the dial to M gives me Green button action. This save time from fiddling with the aperture, when time is important.

And as Marc suggests, M is useful even with A-type and AF lenses, especially for shooting in stable lighting conditions. If time allows, I use M; if time is critical, I'll use Av.
05-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
And as Marc suggests, M is useful even with A-type and AF lenses, especially for shooting in stable lighting conditions. If time allows, I use M; if time is critical, I'll use Av.
Just to expand on this point, there are many instances when you don't necessairly want the camera to change metering or settings between frames. This can be as simple as doing a sequence, where it is important to have stable exposure, to doing a stitched image where if you meter as you move, then you have hard stitch lines because the scene lighting changes as you move.

Even when I had fully auto lenses, I would many times meter off something like a tree trunk or paved road (my own perspective of a 18% grey card) and leave the camera with those settings so that everything had the tonal range relative to that setting. It worked on film, and it works on digital too. You do not need to meter on each exposure, it is just with automatic modes, it does it, but in reality it is totally unnecessary, unless the lighting conditions have changed.