Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-5 Purchase 05/12 ???

I have a dilemma. I own the K-r but want to upgrade. The K-5 is an awesome camera and as stands, at a great price currently with the cash back offers Pentax have running. I don't know if i should wait until later this year to see what Pentax release in terms of a replacement, bearing in mind i probably won't be able to afford the RRP on release and so it may well be this time next year until i can upgrade.

Do i wait or just go for the Pentax K-5, knowing it's a great camera at a great price and just accepting the inevitable upgrade later this year?
I know only i can make the decision on this but was wondering what your opinions are?

Thanks for your time.

05-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-5 is a pretty big upgrade over the K-r. I'm sure you'll be happy even if a successor is released- and you're right, it'll be much more expensive (probably 2x the cost).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I would still buy now, it's not like the sensor has been outclassed yet. It's an awesome camera but I guess you have to ask whether you will get $200 or $300 worth of enjoyment out of it over the next 12 months? I know I would
05-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I acquired my K5 in January. Upgraded from a K20 and felt a bit guilty doing it, since the K20 was still going strong after 3 years. I acquired it also at the end of its model run and the timing was perfect. Yes the K7 came out and then the K5, but it still took great pictures. The only reason why I upgraded was the ISO 80, the dynamic range along with its ability in the shadows and ambient low light. When I got the K20 I knew it was going to be superseded, but it did not matter. It was a tremendous step up from my K100 - the dual wheels with the extra controls made photography sooooo much more enjoyable. I think you will find the same. Also, I really did not want to pay the price of the newly introduced model.

For me the deal sealer was the pricing I ran across - tremendous price so I pulled the trigger. Now, that was back in January and the prices have bounced up a bit. However, regardless of what Pentax comes out with - I am set. I really don't care what the new model does (other than make me an Ansel Adams, which is very doubtful), as the K5 essentially does everything, I need and want. Its a real joy to use.

... just my 2 cents....

05-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SJBRDLL Quote
Do i wait or just go for the Pentax K-5, knowing it's a great camera at a great price and just accepting the inevitable upgrade later this year?
I know only i can make the decision on this but was wondering what your opinions are?
Don't bother trying to time the pricing. If the price is good to you now, go ahead and get it. You'll get the satisfaction of using it now, versus the anticipation of wanting it and trying to get it for a lower price.

Just know that once a new model is announced, the old model is already on the way out, and inventory will start deceasing rapidly. In addition, typically once a model is set at discontinued, the sales price goes up to full MSRP, no more deals.
05-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Don't bother trying to time the pricing. If the price is good to you now, go ahead and get it. You'll get the satisfaction of using it now, versus the anticipation of wanting it and trying to get it for a lower price.

Just know that once a new model is announced, the old model is already on the way out, and inventory will start deceasing rapidly. In addition, typically once a model is set at discontinued, the sales price goes up to full MSRP, no more deals.
This was my thought when I ordered my K-5. It arrived a couple of days ago and it is a huge upgrade to my K20. No remorse here.

Good luck with your decision.
05-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #7

just buy the camera you desire, enjoy it and dont bother with marketing games

05-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #8

I have both the K-r and the K-5. I'm enjoying both and I think you would to.

Go and get it.

05-07-2012, 04:58 AM   #9

Original Poster
Okay, thank you very much for your input guys. You have backed up what i was thinking and sealed it for me. I shall purchase later this afternoon!
05-07-2012, 06:20 AM   #10
Forum Member

Nice . . . No doubt with the K-5 being so inexpensive, it's the best camera for the money . . . so much that several people in here have more than 3 of them.
05-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by GreenMachine Quote
it's the best camera for the money
I agree...
You may have your top 10 photos in your bag with K5 before the upgrade....so why wait!
Enjoy it!
05-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #12

Original Poster
I have not long come back from my purchase. At £675 with the WR 18-55 (including cashback offer) there is little to fault on first impression. I am indeed a very happy chap. (Y)
05-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Just go ahead and get it, the new ones will be high priced and will most likely have issues that need to be ironed out and that may take at least a year, plus you should wait out all the firmware upgrades. The K-5 has a long life to it still and should fulfill allyour photographic needs without the worry of whether or not you should have waited for the next "biggest" thing. If you want the next awesome thing in photography start with the ten inches of space behind the viewfinder(you)
I am a firm believer that I should buy the camera that is on its way to being replaced(K-5) because of the prices and that it is in a moment in time where Pentax has ironed out many issues at that time.
Once you open your box and hold your new K-5 in your hands you will never look back.
05-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

To put things into perspective: people are still happily snapping away with the K20D, which came out in 2008 and is pretty sluggish in comparison to the K-5. So, the K-5 will likely be considered a "good" camera for another 3 years or so, at least

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #15
Forum Member

I just did this upgrade. I have only tested it against defects so far, but K-5 sure feels much better in my hand than K-r. I owned a K110D, then a K-r and now K-5. K110D felt more solid than K-r, but K-r had better image quality. K-5 feels more solid than both and we'll see about the image quality.