Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The new Nikon Cameras!! But with issues too?....

So Nikon came out with a couple of new high end cameras. I have been considering switching brands for a while because the AF issue on my K-5 makes me furious. So I considered the Canon 5D, but I don't feel like I need full frame. But perhaps if that is what it takes to not have these AF issues along with a great sensor, I may consider it. Now as I am watching what people are saying about the new Nikons, I am starting to feel like flaky AF is part of having a DLSR these days. Check this out:
Nikon acknowledges D4 and D800 freezing issues, is currently working on a fix | The Verge
Nikon confirms woes with D4 and D800, joins Canon in high-end doghouse -- Engadget
And the Nikon D800 autofocus saga continues (with some comments on specific lens performance) ? Ming Thein | Photographer
I would hate to go to a wedding as a pro, only to have my brand new camera lock up.

I am actually quite happy with my K-5 (except for the AF issues under low light, that drives me nuts). I bought a 70mm limited where the first one was defective, but my replacement works well, and even better now that I used a rocket air blaster to blow out any dust that may have be collecting inside. Now I am even considering getting the 15, 21, and 40mm to complete my limited lens series.

I could only wish for a K-5 with proper working AF. Can anyone tell me if Pentax made any slight changes to the AF module in later productions? I know they made subtle changes to the K10D after it initially came out, and changed the IR-cut filter in later productions.

In a nut shell, the grass is suddenly not as green on the other side...

05-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Seavey Quote
In a nut shell, the grass is suddenly not as green on the other side...
Never is. For every thread complaining about a Pentax issue there are dozens complaining about the same thing on Canikon. (more owners to complain of course).

Not sure how new / old my k-5 is, I bought it in December '11 but I am extremely satisfied with the AF. It seems to be as good as anything I have ever used. I use center point and focus on the point I want to be in focus then re-compose. I don't do a lot of shallow focus shots though so maybe it is just my style.
05-07-2012, 01:04 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
But Pentax has always been noted for its greens.
05-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

the more automated and technical our gear gets the more there is to complain about. there is a lot to be said for the old MF cameras (lots of guys shot weddings with MF medium format until well into the digital age BTW. lots are starting to again for the look (but now they have a second shooter machine gunning away with a dslr to capture candids)

05-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There will always be problems with new cameras that are released. It is sad though. We shouldn't be doing "beta testing" on 3000+ dollar cameras. They should work well from the get go.

At the same time, there will always be some lemons -- impossible to completely root those out, without probably doubling the cost of the camera.

Last edited by Rondec; 05-08-2012 at 02:47 PM.
05-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
Pentaxian

All new camera's will have problems. And we the customers are partly to blame. We demand a new and better camera, hours after the latest has seen the light. And if we don't get it now, we will switch brands. That, and that they have to keep up with the competition just means they have to bring out camera's quicker than they can test.
05-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
All new camera's will have problems. And we the customers are partly to blame. We demand a new and better camera, hours after the latest has seen the light. And if we don't get it now, we will switch brands. That, and that they have to keep up with the competition just means they have to bring out camera's quicker than they can test.
At this point I would be quite happy with an improved version of the k-5 (call it K-5 super), where the low light AF as been fixed, AF in video mode has been added, perhaps more advanced metering options (which is mainly firmware), flash PTTL metering fixed , and tethering has been added. Perhaps a couple of additional options through firmware would be nice too. The ISO performance of the sensor is fine, as well as the resolution. The rest of the camera is also very capable for tomorrow's standards. Would that require an whole new camera model? I hope not, and I hope manufacturers are done pushing megapixels and ISO.

Just my opinion....
05-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
Banned

Photos: Albums
Owned the Pentax K-01 for since the first week it came out; and have over 2k pics - zero major issues, all of the minor ones easily worked around. Cost of camera body = less than 1k

Owned less than two weeks; the Nikon D4, less than one hundred pics - freezes up three times. and then having to wait for a real fix - unbelievable. Cost of camera body, plus two batteries exceeds 6k. The Nikon won't be ready for true professional use anytime soon

05-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Seavey Quote
At this point I would be quite happy with an improved version of the k-5 (call it K-5 super), where the low light AF as been fixed

What are 'the AF issues under low light' you are seeing? What's it doing that's driving you nuts?

Last edited by jmg257; 05-07-2012 at 02:28 PM.
05-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
What exactly are 'the AF issues under low light' you are seeing?
I described a 5 minute test that shows conditions of the low light front focusing problem. I don't want to dwell on this because it has been discussed 100s of times, but here it is again:
- Turn off AF assist light
-Set Aperture to f/2, shutter time 1/25s and sensitivity ISO3200 (in manual mode) (use 25-50mm lens)
-Take a photo in a dimly tungsten light lit room (use a dimmer or put the light further away) with contrasty objects (such as a book case)
-it is nice to have some objects closer at the bottom edge of the picture to see if that ends up being sharp due to the FF

Shoot away! (and look which AF spots are in focus) and when your shots look slightly underexposed, it should be around the 2EV.

With the narrow DOF, you will be able to tell FF, BF or correct focus quite easily.

But basically I was trying to say in my original post that I am surprised about pro cameras having critical issues.
05-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Cool - thanks for the info...I'll check it out. Its just that I hear all this low light stuff but haven't experienced it - 'cause I haven't shot pictures under those conditions. Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything!
05-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
But Pentax has always been noted for its greens.
<Sounds of joke whooshing over heads>
Waits for applause: not a sausage!
05-07-2012, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
<Sounds of joke whooshing over heads>
Waits for applause: not a sausage!
clap, clap, clap.

Those who understood smiled sagely, those who didn't, well I guess they didn't......
05-08-2012, 01:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I got it but just didn't think it was that funny. Maybe a smile but no applause. Sorry.
05-08-2012, 02:32 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought Col's joke was pretty good, and he got a like from me.
As for Eric: test less and go out and shoot the K-5. It has performed admirably for me in difficult low light concert work for the last year or so. Great camera.
Off to Kimbra tonight