Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #16
Pentaxian

As I said, stuff happens. If you read the forums dedicated to other camera makers, you will find stories from all of them regarding the occasional problem camera. I'm not saying it is right, wrong or anything at all, but it is reality, and being professionally offended isn't a constructive way to face the facts.

If something like this really pisses you off, you should probably not every buy anything, since everything you buy will have the same potential to really piss you off.
I feel kind of sorry for you, you must have a miserable life.

05-08-2012, 11:55 PM   #17
Forum Member

This is interesting. I've had my K-5 for about 3 months and so far my best shots have all been MF. AF always seems to be slightly off. Maybe I'll send mine in when school is up next week.

edit: Although I do remember reading about the focus sensors not being as small as advertised through the viewfinder, which is a serious bummer.
05-09-2012, 12:27 AM   #18

Original Poster
thanks

Thanks for all you help it is appreciated , i will return this k-5 tommorow and have them send me a new one. as one forum member said shit happens, well i got a bad one, but i am sure the next one will be fine. its fortunate we have so many knowledgeable people out there.
05-09-2012, 12:28 AM   #19

Original Poster
no, my life is great

05-09-2012, 12:28 AM   #20

Original Poster
pissed off is propabley wrong it should have been strong disapointment.
05-09-2012, 12:34 AM   #21

Original Poster
yur right i meant very disapointed illsend this back and have agood one in a week or two, i am not a very patient person also.
05-09-2012, 02:11 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Think positive. At least you didn't drop $3000 (body only) on a Nikon D800.

It's also been having focus problems, amongst other bugs.
05-09-2012, 06:00 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Think positive. At least you didn't drop $3000 (body only) on a Nikon D800.

It's also been having focus problems, amongst other bugs.
Perspective is everything.

05-11-2012, 12:20 AM   #24

Original Poster
talked to a pentax service rep, he said the prism was out of alighnment and that some times these things happen, ( nice young man ) and the response from my email to pentax was super quick. anyway I will have my replacement k-5 soon.
05-11-2012, 12:24 AM   #25

Original Poster
will not relevent to my problem i did try one of my old manual focus primes on the k-5 and with the large viewfinder manually focusing was super easy, much better than my kx wich i have found manually focusing to be hard for me.
05-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Does your K-5 *always* mis the focusing when autofocusing, or only occasionally?

I just got a K-5 too, and noticed quickly it doesn't lock the focus on the correct spot under certain light types. It can focus perfectly fine under different lighting conditions, even if they are dimmer.
05-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #27
Forum Member

For the record, I just tested my D FA 100mm with the macro chart from

PENTAX DSLRs: Front or Back Focusing Problems? Free test (Lens Alignment) charts for Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus.

and it was so back-focused even a full +10 fine AF adjustment can't bring it perfectly back, although granted it is much closer now. It's possible I didn't set up the test right, but everything was level and I shot multiple times, and even did one manual focus shot (which obviously was perfect as it was manual focus).

It's getting late, so I'll test my DA 18-55 tomorrow and see what the results are. I believe I read a thread around here where a member stated all his glass was back-focused and it turned out to be the camera.

Like I said it's possible I set up the test wrong, but I'm not too pleased tonight.
05-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It is too bad that newer K-5 are turning up with these problems so late into the product cycle. All cameras seem to have some glitches upon release. I suspect that the D800's will be addressed by Nikon post haste. The D800 is being adopted by professional photographers, and is often being chosen over the D4. Nikon has to respond or risk losing sales to Canon. If you see used D800 bodies for sale, turn and go in the other direction, since the fix is only now making its way to repair facilities.