Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
high speed shooting fps...not working

i must have a setting not turned on. i'm not getting rapid fire in "hi-continuous" mode. any ideas? i'm getting 2 fps at best

05-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IS AF-C turned on? And check the autofocus options in the custom menu. Make sure both are in release priority.
05-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the camera is in af-c.
the custom menu for af-c is fps priority
and the custom menu for af-s is release.

i'm confused. 2-3 fps at best.
05-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
now it works fine in af-s.
perhaps the af-c is limiting the speed. i just read that in another thread.

i should be able to use a higher fps in af-c though shouldn;'t I?

05-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Have you turned off all the in-camera processing? (Highlight + shadow correction, etc.)

EDIT:
Oh, OK - if af-s works... not sure, of the top of my head.
05-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
Have you turned off all the in-camera processing? (Highlight + shadow correction, etc.)
I'm shooting raw. is there highlight correction? i realize the raw fps might be a little slower and i realize that af-c might be a little slower it should be faster than 2 fps.

worth noting....i've never had this issue before so i'm thinking i pushed a button somewhere.

and the sd card is 45mbs....if that helps
05-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The card speed shouldn't matter for short bursts - it's going to the buffer. I set up a user-mode for high speed, I turned off everything like highlights etc, and turned off the shake reduction, default shutter speed is 500 and aperture f/8, so I shouldn't need it. It's giving me 6ish with center-focus. What mode are you shooting in? I based mine on TAv.

05-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yeah I've been playing with my K-5, shooting in AF-C with FPS priority and AF on goes fairly slowly, even if the subject is stationary.

Very odd...
05-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Make sure you disable lens correction and shadow/highlight correction.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Shooting in Manual with everything turned off in RAW it's still slightly slower if you hold the AF button down whilst shooting in AF-C, even when it's set to FPS priority.

The focus indicator dot shows though, so I'm assuming it does a basic check between frames to make sure things are still there, and to prepare to move the focus point if the shutter stops firing. That quick check between frames seems to slow it down somewhat. It's still fast, just not as fast as it is when using MF or without pressing the AF button.
05-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

What was the shutter speed you were trying to shoot at?
05-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
its sports so i'm above 500.

is it normal that its that much faster in af-s rather than af-c? if so...its all good.
05-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Yarr I find AF-S is absolutely fine, but AF-C suffers just a little during autofocus. I've been shooting the church outside, so around 1/200.
05-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #14

should be the af priority... dig the menu and find the afs and afc settings... set for fps and release priority.
but if you do that, you risk some pics to be out of focus....

irrelevant with the thread... i tried to fine adjust the focus today... and while testing it, i found that the default settings/tolerances were spot on!
i mean not even 1mm off! it was perfect.... sunlight, tungsten and fluorescent, in every situation it was spot on.. i'm impressed !
in one real life situation i found that the red light is the af enemy... when in red, it was always soft, first time i had to use manual focus.

oops you already said it was in fps and release priority ... sorry
could this be the battery ? is it full or near empty ?

i tried with afs and afc and i get the same fps... no matter if its stationary or moving.

Last edited by obscura; 05-09-2012 at 01:11 PM.
05-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The most important thing to do is confirm that you have the latest firmware - you may recall that firmware v1.00 didn't make full use of the K-5's buffer. This was fixed by firmware v1.01, which significantly boosted the buffer capacity of the K-5 under continuous RAW shooting from maximum approx. 8 frames to approx. 20 frames.

Other than that, in general the more work you ask the camera's systems to do, the slower it's image processing and hence fps will be.

So some of the variables in RAW fps may include, as others have mentioned:

- using in-camera corrections (even when shooting RAW, perhaps, as the preview JPG in the RAW file still has to be generated in camera...);

- the write speed of the SD card, and the condition of it's file system (ie fragmented writes may be slower, so freshly formatted SD cards should be faster);

- the ISO level used in the shot (higher ISO generates larger files - hence all fps tests are usually shot using 100 ISO);

- the AF setting - if applicable (eg centre-spot, 11 point, manual focus etc). The more calculations the AF needs to make before getting a lock, the slower the achievable fps;

- the shutter speed used (faster shutter works better than slow);

- the flash setting - if applicable. No flash would probably be faster than using flash at any setting.

Of course the battery level, available power, and quality of the power feed (eg bad contacts or dud batteries) will also play a role in how nimbly and reliably the camera performs.