Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-10-2012, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Has anyone Received a K-5 Silver Special Edition from a US supplier?

I am just wondering what is going on with this release. I had to get mine from a dealer in Japan after having my order first cancelled by B&H and then by the Pentax webstore. Both places just indicated that they were not getting them, not that they got them and sold out or anything like that. I also saw at the time that Adorama stopped offering this special edition camera and lens. Pentax Canada were never getting the camera (what a surprise), so they were not even an option from the start.

The camera and lens both are great btw! My first K-5, moving up from the K-7.

05-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Maplebuddy Quote
I am just wondering what is going on with this release. I had to get mine from a dealer in Japan after having my order first cancelled by B&H and then by the Pentax webstore. Both places just indicated that they were not getting them, not that they got them and sold out or anything like that. I also saw at the time that Adorama stopped offering this special edition camera and lens

Well, it was pre-order, if the retailers and the pentax webstore noted they have cancelled pre-order's, that means they didn't get enough orders (or pre-orders) to justify releasing it over here.
05-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I did not realize that "pre-order" was an interest gauge. I always believed that "pre-ordering" was done prior to a release, forming a "queue" for future delivery. If what you say is true then the announcement of the camera and lens was simply a publicity stunt, and misleading advertising. Nowhere did I see any comment indicating that "we will bring them in if we get enough interest".

Needless to say I am thrilled with mine and glad I was able to get it. In fact, it was only six days delivery from Japan to Canada, including going through Customs. Certainly can't complain about the delivery time.

Thanks for your information.
05-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery
There are at least two stores overhere wich have this combo in storage for direct order at the time. So I guess it is Pentax America's that isn't taking it's chances.

05-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Maplebuddy Quote
Needless to say I am thrilled with mine and glad I was able to get it. In fact, it was only six days delivery from Japan to Canada, including going through Customs. Certainly can't complain about the delivery time.
Awesome - if it was a special edition and not just a color and strap change then I would have tried to preorder one myself.

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
So I guess it is Pentax America's that isn't taking it's chances.
Probably - it costs quite a bit to get product over here from overseas, inventory it and then sell it, maybe that costs just outweighs the reward...
05-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I can't believe they did not know the costs involved prior to the announcements made in March. Pentax USA is not that inept are they? It is, after all, their full-time business selling cameras and lenses is it not? It seems very puzzling to me. Pentax Canada knew the costs involved, and the quotas required, and chose not to participate. So, I am still not at all sure of what the story on this is.
05-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Costs involved also correlate to units sold just as it is with any other retail product.

If only 10 people pre-ordered the thing and they were figuring on 250 pre-orders; well, I guess you can figure it from there.

Oh, we are not sure this is the case, this is really only a theory and a theory that I am thinking seeing that when they announced it, it got pretty much shrugged off here in the forums. Again, this is only a theory - have you emailed pentax usa and asked them?

05-11-2012, 04:23 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
I called the Customer Service at both B&H and Pentax but they did not know or indicate that they knew any more than they were told. I do not know anyone else to ask. However, I have one now so I do not need to pursue it. I was more curious than anything about whether anyone else had received one of these from a US source.
05-30-2012, 11:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

they still have it on amazon.com