Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
Inactive Account

CIRCULAR POLARIZER for K5

I'm trying to select a circular polarizer to use with the DA WR lenses with my K5.
There are so many to chose from it is driving me up the wall. I don't want to go too cheap
and reduce IQ but at the same time don't want to break the bank with ultra costly filters.
So far I have the field basically down to two different filter choices. The HOYA EVO or the
B+W XS-PRO series. Both are supposed to be way above average and and have threads down to
49mm. They are in the middle of the price range and I'm thinking they will be upward compatible
when i finally get around to buying high end glass.

I'm curios to know peoples experiences using polarizers from a cost basis perspective. Are the higher
priced filters really worth it or is it just marketing hype. is a $80.00 filter really twice as good as a $40.00 filter?

Plus...has anybody had any trouble using the pentax lens caps on these low profile filters?

05-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With Hoya at least, the more expensive filters are simply thinner. Optically, they're just as good as their regular filters (which are in fact quite good).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You need the thinner one if you use a super wide angle lens
05-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One thing to keep in mind is that when you use a circular polarizing filter on a lens wider than around 24mm, especially where there is a lot of sky in the shot, the image will have the polarizing effect not evenly applied. This is just a matter of physics, in that the intensity of the polarizing effect is directly related to the sun angle. On very wide angle lenses, the lens' field of view is too wide to have the polarizing effect to be uniformly applied.Also, cost is directly related to the physical size of the filter (larger is more expensive) along with the thickness (thinner is more expensive).

05-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #5

The Marumi DHG Super Circular Polarizer CPL PL.D is low profile, cost effective & has good reviews including Lenstip test from 2009: Polarizing filters test - Results and summary - Lenstip.com

No problem using the stock Pentax lens caps on my Marumi thin 58mm CPL.
05-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BillH Quote
The Marumi DHG Super Circular Polarizer CPL PL.D is low profile, cost effective & has good reviews including Lenstip test from 2009: Polarizing filters test - Results and summary - Lenstip.com

No problem using the stock Pentax lens caps on my Marumi thin 58mm CPL.
i bought a couple of these in various sizes and find them to be a good quality filter.
05-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I have found the Nicna filters to be a fine choice. They imply it's made from the same glass as the Hoya pro, and the ring is really thin which is nice for wide-angle lenses. I've seen nothing on any images to suggest problems, but I'm not rigorous about excruciatingly fine details so who knows

05-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I have a hoya cpl for my lenses, no vignetting on 17mm, does the job, I think its the one up from the cheapest.
05-11-2012, 11:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Since CPLs aren't K5-specific, shouldn't this thread be in another forum?
05-12-2012, 02:04 AM   #10

i bought the marumi after reading the lenstip test, havent regret it, excellent quality.
05-12-2012, 04:23 AM   #11
Inactive Account

+1 on marumi. have one on all lenses.