Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #1

does the K5 support interchangeable focus screens

hi guys

if the k5 support interchangeable focus screens can you guys recommend one that can be used equally well for manual focus and also AF with the default i find it bit hard to manual forcus

thankz

05-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, it does. Get a katz-eye split-screen if you do a lot of manual focusing.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yep...the best rated is the katz-eye thingy, but its EXPENSIVE!
05-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #4

The Canon ee-S screen from focusingscreen.com is highly recommended. Many claims that it's cheaper and better than Katz Eye (I don't have the Katz Eye to compare with).

05-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nirVaan Quote
does the K5 support interchangeable focus screens
The back of the K-5 manual lists the 4 available Pentax focussing screens for the K-5.
As others have also mentioned, there are many 3rd party focussing screens too.

To make manual focussing easier, rather than swapping focus screens, another option to consider is using the Pentax magnifying eyecup O-ME53.
05-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The Katz-eye is expensive and over-rated. Basically it is exactly the same thing as the focus screens from these guys (Taiwan) except these are a lot cheaper and they probably have a wider choice. They also provide better tools for the insertion free of charge. I loved the screen I bought from them (at that time around 1/3 price of the Katz-eye equivalent.

Focusing Screen

Excellent service too.
05-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
The Katz-eye is expensive and over-rated. Basically it is exactly the same thing as the focus screens from these guys (Taiwan) except these are a lot cheaper and they probably have a wider choice. They also provide better tools for the insertion free of charge. I loved the screen I bought from them (at that time around 1/3 price of the Katz-eye equivalent. Focusing Screen Excellent service too.
there are many screen types over there. i have no real knowledge about these. so which one would you recommend.
05-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter

hi guys

if the k5 support interchangeable focus screens can you guys recommend one that can be used equally well for manual focus and also AF with the default i find it bit hard to manual forcus

thankz
I do a lot of macro and I have this type in my K20d (Li-80)

This one (MI-60) is for the K-7 and I think but not certain it will also work in the K-5

Pentax Focusing Screen MI-60 AF Scale Matte for K7 DSLR 38580

05-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
Pentaxian

What lenses do you use? The ee-s screen from focussingscreens.com is excellent for faster glass but darkens with smaller apertures.

You may wish to check whether your existing screen is accurately set up.
05-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

there are many screen types over there. i have no real knowledge about these. so which one would you recommend.
If you can get the Canon ee-S screen from focusingscreen.com (cut for your camera !) then that is very highly rated but I haven't been able to get hold of one from them yet. I bought the K-7 Ec-B Focusing Screen (AF Frame/Grid) and then switched this over to my K5 when I sold my K7. It is a fraction darker than the stock screen but to me the benefit of the split prism is immense when using MF.
05-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The ee-S screen is superb, I'm able to focus my K50/1.2 accurately with it. However it's darker than the stock screen for lenses >=f/2.8. So with lenses faster than f/2.8 it's a joy (this is most of my shooting), f/2.8 it's still good, f/4 is OK but now it's hard to see shadow details at all, f/4+ and it's just acceptable in a pinch.

VF brightness is a real issue for getting “the decisive moment”. An example, I returned home from shooting my sons hockey game with a K-5 with e-SS screen & DA55-300 to find I had a burst of 10 shots I’d taken of my son in 1 action sequence, only it wasn’t my son just someone who looked like him. LOL.

Last edited by twitch; 05-13-2012 at 05:57 PM.
05-14-2012, 01:21 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Canon S type screens requires that your focusing eye must be good.
I prefer split screen.

Some of these screen need to calibrate. It's not difficult, but a bit time consumming. Best is to get a shim/washer-set from pentax for this job.

K5: katzeye, K20: jinfinance, canon dslr: eby screen
05-14-2012, 01:26 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The ee-S screen is superb, I'm able to focus my K50/1.2 accurately with it. However it's darker than the stock screen for lenses >=f/2.8. So with lenses faster than f/2.8 it's a joy (this is most of my shooting), f/2.8 it's still good, f/4 is OK but now it's hard to see shadow details at all, f/4+ and it's just acceptable in a pinch.
Split screen is better choice for low light manual focus. Very low light may challenge any screen type, and photographers as well
12-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Are K-5 focusing screens the same size as K20D focusing screens?
12-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Are K-5 focusing screens the same size as K20D focusing screens?
Pretty similar, but no, they are not interchangeable. The protruding tab is on the opposite side, for one thing.

I think the K-5/7 focus screen is slightly larger than the K10d/20d screen.