Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #1

K5 internal battery

Hi Folks: Per my 1st post yesterday, I'm experiencing a problem with my new K5 retaining the correct date and time. As was mentioned to me, it is most likely the internal battery. I cannot seem to find out where the internal battery is located. Also, is the internal battery something that I can change myself. Any help will be much appreciated.
All the best.......Mike

05-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can't change the battery yourself unless you open your camera up, and that will probably void the warranty. Given how new the K-5 is, this is surprising- is your camera time resetting itself every time you take your battery out?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Adam

Thank You very much for the fast reply. The date and time resets itself if I leave the camera off over night. Not taking out the battery during this time period. I'm not sure what the default parameters were. So I'm not sure if the numbers are random or default. The MFG date of the camera is 3/16/12. Not to say that the internal battery couldn't have been weak to start with.
All the best.......Mike
05-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

There is no internal battery;it's a so-called supercap that supplies power for a while when the battery is out. Having said that, there is something wrong if you loose time while the normal battery is not out. Return it for a new one.

05-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Sterretje

I didn't really want to do that. But if I must I will.
All the Best.......Mike
05-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
There is no internal battery;it's a so-called supercap that supplies power for a while when the battery is out. Having said that, there is something wrong if you loose time while the normal battery is not out. Return it for a new one.
Agree. I searched the manual yesterday for any mention of an internal battery on the k-5 in order to reply to your other thread but could not find it. In fact the manual states that the date/time will be lost if the battery is removed for a length of time. I agree with sterretje, this should not be happening. You could email Pentax support in whatever country you are in to see if they have a simple solution. But I think in the end you will either need to return it or send it in for service.

Depending on where you bought it, I would think just return it as defective and get a new one. Not something you should accept on a brand new camera.
05-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanhs jatrax

I just requested an RMA from B&H.
All the best.......Mike
05-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #8

Original Poster
one more note

The odd thing about this, is that this issue is occuring without the battery being removed. All the more that it should be returned I guess. Thank You to everyone who replied.
All the best.......Mike

05-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Hard to send it back when you just got it. I know, I sent my first k-5 back and I really debated with myself. I knew the right thing long term was to send it back but short term I really, really wanted to just ignore the issue and keep it.

Glad I returned it, totally happy with the second one.
05-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #10

Original Poster
Returning gear

Overall, as much as I don't want to return the camera, I account my status as a blessing. In the 37 years that I've been making photographs, I've had numerous cameras and lenses. Believe it or not, this is the first piece of gear that I've ever had to return. To B&H or any other retailer for that matter. Color me fortunate I guess. Thank You again
All the best.......Mike