Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2012, 03:10 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
Too bad Pentax didn't make the K5 have a 4 AA battery option. I'd luv to buy 2 or 3 of them.
It does. Read the specs...

Pentax D-BG4 Battery Grip for Pentax K-7 & K-5 39846 B&H

Cheers...

05-15-2012, 04:19 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Seems like you KNOW what to come, Adam.

Could you just send me a PM?
I promise not post your PM in this forum
It might just be the confidence that befits the founder of Pentaxforums
(Between us, however, I do think he knows something. Please forward me that email you got from Adam; I won't make it public.)
05-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #18

I hope nobody really do not think that D800 is not better camera than K5...cos D800 is better for sure, same with 5D but they are both FF and cost few times more than K5...
05-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #19
Site Supporter

The consensus seems to be that the K-5 no longer warrants its "83" rating .... too bad for me/us.

Hmm, I wonder if the 7D really deserves it's "84" rating, especially since that one is an even older review.

05-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I have tried the D800 and the D800E and it is just leagues ahead of the K-5 in everything except size, so such comparisons based on percentages is meaningless.
05-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I have tried the D800 and the D800E and it is just leagues ahead of the K-5 in everything except size, so such comparisons based on percentages is meaningless.
Nope. Camera handling and control over it is still better in K-5
05-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What is really ironic, is that the D800 is having QC issues with the left side auto focus points and with the camera randomly freezing. Nikon seems to be on the ball and not stone-walling on acknowledging the problems though. From what I've read on the Nikonians' forum, many folks are holding off on ordering one until the QC issues are dealt with. I have been surprised by how long it is taking used K-5 to sell in the Marketplace. I think it is the downside of early QC issues. Buyers are cautious because they don't have any way to assure that the needed repairs or replacements have been carried out. I think the D800 could travel the same road, but Nikon has been more responsive than Pentax was when the problems surfaced. Other than no longer being the newest thing, both the Pentax K-7 and the Nikon D700 have been very reliable cameras.
05-16-2012, 03:44 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
What is really ironic, is that the D800 is having QC issues with the left side auto focus points and with the camera randomly freezing. Nikon seems to be on the ball and not stone-walling on acknowledging the problems though. From what I've read on the Nikonians' forum, many folks are holding off on ordering one until the QC issues are dealt with. I have been surprised by how long it is taking used K-5 to sell in the Marketplace. I think it is the downside of early QC issues. Buyers are cautious because they don't have any way to assure that the needed repairs or replacements have been carried out. I think the D800 could travel the same road, but Nikon has been more responsive than Pentax was when the problems surfaced. Other than no longer being the newest thing, both the Pentax K-7 and the Nikon D700 have been very reliable cameras.
I think K5s are moving slowly because there are quite a few of them selling right now and it is getting near the end of the cycle with it. It has been around for a year and a half now and people want something new and hot.

05-16-2012, 04:06 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If anyone can explain me the meaning of this rating in such a way that 83 > 82 would become not just comparison of numbers but rather sensible human readable text, I'd be happy. So far I take these numbers as, how to put it, LMUs (least meaningful units).
05-16-2012, 04:07 AM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
Other than no longer being the newest thing, both the Pentax K-7 and the Nikon D700 have been very reliable cameras.
Very true indeed. Especially about Pentax K-7.
05-16-2012, 04:15 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Have you seen it yet?? The new D800 gets a total score of 82% over at dpreview. The K-5 is at 83%. Of course it's not much higher, but what's interesting is to do a comparison of the different things... Like, the K-5 gets better marks at low light/high iso, as well as viewfinder.

I knew I loved my K-5 for a reason...
By the "numbers" yes, but by performance they're pretty different in the first place... so, definitely a no. The 82% for the D800 is comparing it against the likes of say, Canon 5D Mk2. The K-5 was pitted against, say, Nikon D300s and the Canon 7D.

I'm pretty sure the D800 will outperform the K-5 in many aspects, even in IQ. Handling, maybe not but that's personal taste only. Only someone with both a K-5 and a D800 can attest to their differences and rate.
05-16-2012, 05:39 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

The D800 is basically a K5 with a bigger sensor and not quite as good ergonomics (and a lot higher price tag). Dynamic range is equivalent, high iso is a stop better. If you need these things, don't mind a little bigger form factor and slower frame rate, D800 can't be beat.

The DP Review numbers are meaningless when compared between different generation cameras. Obviously 18 month old cameras were scored against cameras available then (D7000, 7D, D300S) and not against cameras that have come on line since then. Just the way it is (and will always be).
05-16-2012, 05:49 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Comparing camera is like comparing wine. Do a wine rated 83 versus 82 is important ? No, personal taste is the premier factor and understanding wine. Do you like a deep color and strong one with a lot of wood or you like better an easy drinking wine with subtle flavor?

Well camera are the same. the D800 is like a strong heavy wine and the K-5 is more light and subtle. My personal taste is for that one. But I do not discredit people who like the other one
05-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The D800 is basically a K5 with a bigger sensor and not quite as good ergonomics (and a lot higher price tag). Dynamic range is equivalent, high iso is a stop better. If you need these things, don't mind a little bigger form factor and slower frame rate, D800 can't be beat.
You forgot to mention much better AF and video.
05-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Maybe it's the shooting I do (note: very causal), but there's nothing about my old K-5 that seemed so much better in the handling/ergonomics department compared to my D800. But, again, it's personal preference. Also, the AF is definitely much better as Edvinas stated.