Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2012, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
Arca-Swiss camera plates for Pentax K-5

I've compiled a list of Arca-Swiss tripod quick release plates for the K-5 with notes about the presence or absence of features like holes for mounting hand straps, a threaded 1/4-20 hole to attach a monopod without removing the plate, a hollow bottom to accommodate a safety detent pin in the tripod head's clamp, and Kirk-style safety screws.

I hope this is a useful resource for anyone looking for a plate for their K-5. And, since I haven't actually purchased one of these yet: if you have used one of these let us know what you think of it, and if you know of any others I've missed please share that too!

The bottom edge of the screen on the K-5 is pretty close to the bottom of the camera, so I'm particularly interested in confirming that the anti-rotation flanges on these plates won't touch the screen at all (all but one of these plates are sold for other cameras as well).

Mestos PD-K5 ($39)

Country of origin: Korea?
43x70x12mm
Has hand strap holes.
Based on bottom-view photos of other models, guessing it has monopod hole and hollow bottom for safety detent pin, but no safety screw holes.
Based on measuring images it looks like anti-rotation flange is about 48mm long.

Mounting screw hole is a slot, but unlike other plates the slot allows plate to be adjusted side-to-side on camera, not front-to-back to adjust fit of anti-rotation flange on back edge of camera. Is this a disadvantage? On the other hand, this is the only plate I can find that is specific to the K-5 (rather than the K-5 plus other cameras) so maybe fore-aft adjustability is not needed for this one.
Mestos also has L-brackets for the K-5 (model: PD-K5L) and the K-5 with grip (model: PD-K5HL).

Acratech 2138 ($40)
Country of origin: USA
Generic example photo of Acratech plates (not this particular model) shows hollow bottom for detent pin, no monopod hole, no safety screw holes, no hand strap holes.
Acratech doesn't use captive mounting screws because they claim non-captive screws are stronger. I don't know if the others use captive screws or not.

Kirk PZ-134 ($55)
Country of origin: USA
Listed for K-7 (Kirk's plate finder doesn't have K-5) but I think K-5 and K-7 have identical size/shape
Hollow bottom, safety screws, hand strap, monopod.

Markins PG-34N ($50)
Country of origin: Korea?
52 46 13 mm
Presumably has hollow bottom (no photo, but Markins ballheads have safety pin).
Has hand strap and monopod holes.

Has anti-rotation “ears” on each end rather than a continuous flange.
This is the only one here with a bi-directional dovetail that can be mounted either way on quick release clamp.
Note: table of plate fitment for Pentax cameras seems inconsistent, so this may not be the correct plate for the K-5.

Last edited by baj; 05-15-2012 at 06:07 PM.
05-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I have the Wimberley arca swiss camera plate:
Wimberley Professional Photo Gear - Camera Body Plate::

It's not the cheapest, but you can't go wrong with Wimberley gear.
05-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
Col
Veteran Member

Well I've got various Really Right Stuff plates including their K-5 L Plate.

I use the following reference:
http://www.afximages.com/stuff/arca-plates-xref.html
05-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
baj

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I have the Wimberley arca swiss camera plate:
Wimberley Professional Photo Gear - Camera Body Plate::

It's not the cheapest, but you can't go wrong with Wimberley gear.
The one concern I have with that plate (which is a universal one with no anti-rotation flange) is that it's curved with the outer edges applying most of the pressure on the camera. I realize the K-5 is pretty robust, but the plate is essentially trying to bend the bottom of the camera. This is why I'd prefer a K-5-specific plate that doesn't rely only on the tightness of the screw to prevent rotation.

05-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
baj

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
Well I've got various Really Right Stuff plates including their K-5 L Plate.

I use the following reference:
http://www.afximages.com/stuff/arca-plates-xref.html
That is a very useful reference that I haven't seen before, thank you. I had looked for a K-5 specific plate from RRS (which I didn't find), and I forgot that they made an L-bracket for the camera.
05-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by baj Quote
Mestos PD-K5 ($39)

Country of origin: Korea?[/COLOR]
43x70x12mm
Has hand strap holes.
Based on bottom-view photos of other models, guessing it has monopod hole and hollow bottom for safety detent pin, but no safety screw holes.
Based on measuring images it looks like anti-rotation flange is about 48mm long.
Mounting screw hole is a slot, but unlike other plates the slot allows plate to be adjusted side-to-side on camera, not front-to-back to adjust fit of anti-rotation flange on back edge of camera. Is this a disadvantage? On the other hand, this is the only plate I can find that is specific to the K-5 (rather than the K-5 plus other cameras) so maybe fore-aft adjustability is not needed for this one.
I have this plate. Not the cheapest, and can be hard to find, but works well. Here are some answers:
  • Flange does not touch the rear LCD screen (maybe 2mm off).
  • Yes, it has a monopod hole and a hollow bottom.
  • No, there is no safety-screw hole, specifically.
  • Yes, the flange fits my K-5 perfectly, so no front-back adjustment of the mounting screw is needed. This will also fit the K-7, of course, as their bodies are identical in bottom dimensions.

Note: I bought the Mestos specifically because it is wide (70mm, but doesn't interfere with battery door) and has the dual hand-strap holes, which I use for my Camdapter strap and shoulder strap. It was also being sold by my friend in Korea, dhsummer!

I also have a Markins plate like this one (but the PG-33, which is on my K-x):
QuoteOriginally posted by baj Quote
Markins PG-34N ($50)
Presumably has hollow bottom (no photo, but Markins ballheads have safety pin).
Has hand strap and monopod holes.
Has anti-rotation “ears” on each end rather than a continuous flange.
This is the only one here with a bi-directional dovetail that can be mounted either way on quick release clamp.
They have not-so-hollow bottoms, and dual hand strap holes, and dual screw holes. I found that the bi-directional dovetail didn't make much of a difference to my work (which involves lots of on/off the QR platform), but it did make the plate very narrow and uncomfortable to hold when not attached.

Also, the Markins plates are shiny black (when new), while the Mestos are matte black finish. Small thing, but I prefer the matte.

EDIT: and here is a photo of the two plates, side by side (sorry for the quality - taken with my W90)...

Last edited by panoguy; 05-15-2012 at 05:40 PM.
05-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Great write-up Baj. I ended up making my own L-Braket. Don't forget that these are all compatable with the K7

By the way (and other) I have put a suggestion to Adam to add a subsection in the accessories/tripods to be able to add reviews on various Arca-Swiss stuff, but it needs more support for it to be added.... see post and add your comments please.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/forum-suggestions-news-help/185155-sugges...essory-db.html
05-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #8

Just noticed that dhsummer now have the Mestos L bracket for the DB-4 grip back in stock.

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r

07-05-2012, 05:38 AM   #9

Does anyone know of an arca-swiss compatible plate for the K5 with the battery grip?
07-05-2012, 05:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aboudd Quote
Does anyone know of an arca-swiss compatible plate for the K5 with the battery grip?
MESTOS PD-K5HL L Plate for Pentax K5,K7 Vertical Grip

This one is on Ebay

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r
07-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aboudd Quote
See my thread here

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/187763-me...available.html