Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I suspect a lot of that is true, but I also suspect a twist: people who were contemplating switching recognize now as a good time to jump because their used lenses just became more valuable.
Good point!

05-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I'll post as only one person who is selling their K-5 in the market place.

The last wedding I did was extremely frustrating for me. My main problems were with the speed of autofocus. I had the 540FGZ set up to help with AF, and most times it did help. However, when the bridal party and later the bride and groom were introduced, they all came dancing into the reception and right onto the dance floor. It was dimly lit, and they were moving quick from the door to the dance floor. I got a few shots here and there with my K-5 / 50-135, but the AF hunt in low light with moving subjects was too much for me to overcome. I missed more than I got. Given enough time, I was able to lock focus. The problem arose when I wasn't given enough time. I was lucky that I shoot with a partner (Canon), and he got the shots that I missed!

These were brutal conditions. The lighting seemed dimmer than ANY other event I'd ever done and the couple was dark skinned. It made for a disastrous situation with my AF. I even went so far as asking the lighting guys to turn up their lights a little during the reception so I wouldn't be so in the weeds for the whole night. I also turned off autofocus, stopped down to 5.6 or higher and manual focused most of the rest of the evening. I was able to manual focus in harsh conditions, and even if I was off slightly, I was compensated by a wide DOF.

In the end, the conditions were just right for me to have a miserable time shooting the wedding. However, that is no excuse to a bride and groom who have paid money for a professional to come take pictures.

In the months between then (February) and now, I tested Canon and Nikon fairly extensively, and narrowed in on what was critical to me..... AF. In the end, Canon (5D2) produced some great colors right out of the camera, but was a little harder to lock focus in dim conditions compared to Nikon (D700). I figured I can fix colors in post, but not focus. I'm now building up my Nikon kit, and renting some glass along the way to see what suits my needs best.

All in all, I was extremely pleased with the look of the pictures that came out of my K-5 (and K20D for that matter), but that only mattered when I got the shots. I couldn't risk going to another event and potentially miss shots because my equipment didn't perform the way I needed it to.

I do hope to come back to Pentax some day, when and if they make bodies that can perform at the level I just described. I think they need to make some cameras that can really take advantage and unleash all the FA* glass that's out in people's hands. I have faith that Pentax can do this, but I just couldn't wait around for this to happen.
05-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Asking any camera to AF in near dark is asking a lot. One of my teachers uses cameras from all three brands and basically he says they all have their limitations in that respect. Moving to a Canon or Nikon might not help you out as much as you might think. Bottom line, in order to AF you need an extremely fast lens, steady hands, and a certain amount of light. If you're not in possession of any of those things you're not going to do all that well. Particularly the last one. No camera sensor is made to work in near dark. It's a physical fact of photography, not enough light usually equals crappy photographs. A fast lens helps some but there's only so much you can do when you're trying to shoot in a dark room.

I'm actually pretty impressed with the way my K-x handles situations like that. Bump up the iso a bit, use the fastest lens in my kit, help the AF search with a flashlight a bit sometimes and I get some pretty nice shots compared to what I used to get with any camera I had before this one. I've actually managed to take shots of people in candlelight and they looked pretty darned good considering. I had to help out the AF a couple of times with the old flashlight trick, but still once the camera locked on it did very well indeed. I'm told the K5 is even better so I honestly can't imagine what low level of light there must have been for it to fail that badly. But whatever, I'm not one to hold people back when they want to switch out. I just wish I could afford to buy what they're so eager to get rid of, laugh...
05-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Some people definitely have good reasons to jump ship but there are also decent number of Pentaxians who don't seem very secured with being the minority too. It's good time to pick up some gear without paying at the newer price that is going to stay whether we like it or not imo.

05-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I sold my K-5 only with great reluctance and I personally will reacquire one as soon as the next-model-price-drop gets really good The K-5, to my mind, is the perfect DSLR. However I was finding the size of *any* DSLR, even such a small one as the K-5, was preventing me from carrying a camera as often as I wanted to (i.e. every minute of the day :P). So I jumped ship for a smaller form factor (initially an M8 but it was too heavy, then to the Fuji X100 which is just fantastic).

If I'd had the money, I would have *both* cameras without a doubt. Of course....having used the X100 I'm now dreaming of the X-Pro-1, dayum!

Ha - if I had the money, I'd have them alllll :P But buying & reselling is the only way I can afford to play with lots of options. Hopefully I'll settle down one day!

ETA: And yes, my awareness that the K-5 will soon drop in value as the K-3 arrives on the scene did push me to sell sooner than I otherwise might have.
05-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I have 2 K-5's and one D800E. The D800E has a 50mm F1.4G lens on it.. nothing to write home about optically OR AF speed-wise. I had a Sigma50 F1.4 for a week before returning that for the Nikon lens and the AF on that was no faster than the one I had on my K-5. My DA*60-250 focuses just as fast as any Nikon lens that I've tried thus far so I really don't know where all this AF criticism is coming from. Unfortunately I will have to sell a few items to pay for this new system but I'm really having a hard time placing the ads. If only Pentax had a FF then this would not be a problem.
05-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the Nikon D800 might be a factor, though indirectly, for those longing to move to FF. There are a lot of Nikon D700 cameras up for sale as the result of the introduction of the D800. There are rumors of a entry level Nikon FF (D600) at a lower price point than either the D800 or D700. It is rumored that it will only support the newer generation of Nikon G lenses though, which would make the D700 the best choice for those who have Nikon legacy FF glass. I sold my K-7 and limiteds last year to finance a D700. Now that the dust has settled on the QC issues with the K-5, I am looking to purchase a used K-5 after the next generation model is announced. I loved the limiteds and would like to acquire replacements once the K-5 comes down in price.

05-15-2012, 11:43 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I have 2 K-5's and one D800E. The D800E has a 50mm F1.4G lens on it.. nothing to write home about optically OR AF speed-wise. I had a Sigma50 F1.4 for a week before returning that for the Nikon lens and the AF on that was no faster than the one I had on my K-5. My DA*60-250 focuses just as fast as any Nikon lens that I've tried thus far so I really don't know where all this AF criticism is coming from. Unfortunately I will have to sell a few items to pay for this new system but I'm really having a hard time placing the ads. If only Pentax had a FF then this would not be a problem.
That's interesting Bossa, Thanks for your thoughts. I've seen your work with the Pentax gears and its excellent, like TOUGEFC PENTAX pics, I wouldn't put either of your Pentax Pictures 2nd to anthing I've seen in the FF thread.
05-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
That's interesting Bossa, Thanks for your thoughts. I've seen your work with the Pentax gears and its excellent, like TOUGEFC PENTAX pics, I wouldn't put either of your Pentax Pictures 2nd to anthing I've seen in the FF thread.
You're too kind.. thanks.
05-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I have 2 K-5's and one D800E. The D800E has a 50mm F1.4G lens on it.. nothing to write home about optically OR AF speed-wise. I had a Sigma50 F1.4 for a week before returning that for the Nikon lens and the AF on that was no faster than the one I had on my K-5. My DA*60-250 focuses just as fast as any Nikon lens that I've tried thus far so I really don't know where all this AF criticism is coming from.
It's not about speed as much as it is about accuracy and low-light performance. Given a dimly lit wedding reception, I'd take the D800 ANYDAY over the Pentax.
05-16-2012, 02:29 AM   #26
Veteran Member

OK, I get that.. For some reason I was thinking about speed of the motors instead of actual focus.
05-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #27
Veteran Member

OK, I get that.. For some reason I was thinking about speed of the motors instead of actual focus.
In bright light with a well contrasted subject all cameras can focus and lock in roughly the same speed (some still faster than others but not by much that would matter to anyone but a sports photographer). The problem with Pentax is that it hunts and hunts and hunts and doesn't confirm lock in low-light or without a clear subject. The Nikon won't hunt and 99 times out of a hundred it will still lock focus (at the same speed the Pentax does in good light, mind you). That is the crucial difference. The SAFOX system is equivalent to what Nikon used 6 years ago. It's comical, actually.
05-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #28
Inactive Account

I was wondering the same thing. If I could find a used K5 body for $750 or under I'd buy a second/backup... But then again I may just wait and see if a replacement comes out soon!
05-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Perhaps they're getting the K30 instead?
05-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #30
Forum Member

I just picked up a K5. What an amazing camera. There may be better cameras for specific uses, but as an all around-er I don't think there is anything better on the market.