Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
what's up with the rash of K5s in the marketplace

Why are there so many K5's in the Marketplace? Is it true they are replacing the K5 soon?

Just wondering.

05-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I noticed that too, and not just K-5's but whole bags of really nice lenses. My guess is that we are seeing the fallout from the Nikon D800 & Canon 5DIII releases (mainly the former) with quite a few "switchers" offloading some or all their gear.

People aren't switching from K-r's and kit zooms to D800's, but from K-5's + limiteds.
05-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jstick Quote
Why are there so many K5's in the Marketplace? Is it true they are replacing the K5 soon?

Just wondering.
I don't want to make this another FF thread but...I think there has been a reasonable number of people that have jumped ship to a producer that has a FF in their line.

Also there is the approaching end of life factor. Since the K-5 (although yet to be announced) is well over due for a replacement, people could be selling whilst you still able to get a reasonable return on it.
05-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Of course I ended up buying one. I'm really looking forward to seeing what it offers over my trusty Kx.

05-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K5s for sale represent two camps. Those that are leaving Pentax, and those that are getting ready for the K5 or Kr replacement. I'm not worried, in that I think the number of new people introductions on the forum has also increased - and is greater. I think people who have little invested in Pentax are rightfully leaving to go and get a FF camera from the Canikony world.

If I only had a few lenses and a K5 body, I probably would be gone too.

I'm impressed with what Nikon is offering, and if there is no Pentax FF within the next year or two, I will be going back on the Nikon bandwagon for FF.

Mind you, not Nikon APS-C, as I tried that, having a D7000 and it was not better than a K5.

I think ultimately now is the time to get the most money out of a used K5, so I don't blame them for selling.

I am grateful to have two K5s now, and I LOVE shooting with two bodies!
A third K5 would be even better!
05-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There seems to be a third camp, albeit a smaller one. Those who have overspent and need to recover cash. Interesting to watch, I suppose, but I've been converted by RioRico and others here, and my only quest is for cheap glass. Of course, it needs to be FF compatible cheap glass
05-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
There seems to be a third camp, albeit a smaller one. Those who have overspent and need to recover cash. Interesting to watch, I suppose, but I've been converted by RioRico and others here, and my only quest is for cheap glass. Of course, it needs to be FF compatible cheap glass
True. I have WAY overspent, but I always get ready for my big vacation each year with new glass - if there is a need. This year was expensive in that I had to (and still have to) sell off the husband's Nikon foray at a loss, and I bought the FA limiteds Trio, The Tamron 70-200/2.8 and the Bigma.

I used most of my FF Pentax budget to do so, and I should have the FF Pentax fund replenished by the time we *do* get a Pentax FF.

05-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Not too interested in a FF...and sure not interested in selling my K5...but some have different needs. I have that Toy Camera X10 that has quenched my desire for something new for a while....I got it in November, and the excitement is still there every time I pick it up.

Regards!
05-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's funny. The Q did nothing for me, nor the K-01, thus freeing up money to buy glass.
I wonder what was better for Pentax? Me buying the three FA limiteds or buying one of their new cameras? I was going to buy the Optio WG-2, but I think I will wait, and let go for another Optio WG generation.

Certainly the Tamron or Bigma didn't help the Pentax bottom line, but what was I to do?
05-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jstick Quote
Of course I ended up buying one. I'm really looking forward to seeing what it offers over my trusty Kx.
Trust me, from one person who went Kx to K5 to another, you're going to love it!
05-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Not too interested in a FF...and sure not interested in selling my K5...but some have different needs. I have that Toy Camera X10 that has quenched my desire for something new for a while....I got it in November, and the excitement is still there every time I pick it up.

Regards!
You mean the Fuji X10?
05-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It's time for an anonymous poll: WHY SELL YOUR K5? Besides the leapers and lookers and luzers, are there conspirators, shills, demolishers, folks who've abandoned photography, or other possibilities?
05-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some people are pi$$ed off at the dramatic lens price increases, and are switching. Understandable, but a bit of a knee-jerk reaction IMO.
05-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I'd imagine some are selling to fund a switch to the D800 or 5D3. Others are selling because they want to sell now, revert to a backup body, and wait for the next SLR from Pentax. If you sell now vs when the new one is announced I'm sure you'll get more.

Still others are selling because of financial hardship. It has to be a difficult proposition to have to sell your favorite possessions to satisfy a debt.

I am considering selling to move to what some would describe the ultimate Pentax full frame camera: the MZ-S (or Z-1p), with a few limiteds to go along with it... we'll see if I decide to do it.
05-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Some people are pi$$ed off at the dramatic lens price increases, and are switching. Understandable, but a bit of a knee-jerk reaction IMO.
I suspect a lot of that is true, but I also suspect a twist: people who were contemplating switching recognize now as a good time to jump because their used lenses just became more valuable.