Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #16
Veteran Member

My K-5 LCD displayed garbled info only once - after about the 5th time I turned it on after buying it and using a fully charged new battery.

Has never happened since.

05-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
My K-5 LCD displayed garbled info only once - after about the 5th time I turned it on after buying it and using a fully charged new battery.

Has never happened since.
Maybe it is just still in the "burn in process". Hopefully it will just stop on its own. It has only occurred twice now.

05-17-2012, 04:23 AM   #18

OK-good--Since it has only happened twice don't worry about it. This garbled LCD screen on pwr up has happened to more then a few K5 owners including me. The common story is "only happened once or twice and never again" My K5 did it once and never again. It would have to happen more frequently or all the time to consider service and it isn't now so ignore it and enjoy your K5.

You have a 1 year manufacturer warranty and you bought the "Extended Pentax 2 year Warranty" for $20--right?---so you are insured properly. I have my cell phone on me all the time as I am sure most do---with no problems--- so don't worry about that.

Last edited by jcp5; 05-17-2012 at 04:35 AM.
05-17-2012, 04:45 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm having a similar "Ghost in the Machine" problem on my second K5 body. Which is fairly new.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/186333-bad-auto-focus-selector-switch.html

05-17-2012, 05:02 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Could be a capacitor issue, too. When the camera is off a long time the capacitor discharges, and when you turn on the camera the voltage might not ramp up fast enough for the LCD to work correctly. Turning the camera off and on again gives you a restart with a full capacitor.
05-17-2012, 05:08 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcp5 Quote
OK-good--Since it has only happened twice don't worry about it. This garbled LCD screen on pwr up has happened to more then a few K5 owners including me. The common story is "only happened once or twice and never again" My K5 did it once and never again. It would have to happen more frequently or all the time to consider service and it isn't now so ignore it and enjoy your K5.

You have a 1 year manufacturer warranty and you bought the "Extended Pentax 2 year Warranty" for $20--right?---so you are insured properly. I have my cell phone on me all the time as I am sure most do---with no problems--- so don't worry about that.
I am currently on backorder for the 2 year warranty with B&H (where I purchased my K-5) I hope they get them in soon!
05-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #22

It's my understanding that Pentax will honor your "order date" for that warranty being in the first 30 days. If you have any concerns because it is getting close to your 30 days and your warranty is still back ordered go on the Pentax USA support site and ask the question via their "live chat" feature. Snip and save their answer which has always been positive in the past. Adorama is another good dealer to get this warranty from---another option if needed. Call first to see if it's in stock.

Last edited by jcp5; 05-17-2012 at 07:54 AM.
05-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That happened to my K5 within a month of purchasing it. Wasn't a fresh charged battery, had the latest firmware, and I shoot RAW. The camera had also locked up on me once, plus I had a strange issue with one of the focusing points not lighting up when I got focus confirmation. I promptly returned it and exchanged for another one. Replacement has been flawless so far. (knock on wood)
05-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
That happened to my K5 within a month of purchasing it. Wasn't a fresh charged battery, had the latest firmware, and I shoot RAW. The camera had also locked up on me once, plus I had a strange issue with one of the focusing points not lighting up when I got focus confirmation. I promptly returned it and exchanged for another one. Replacement has been flawless so far. (knock on wood)
For the last 4 days I have been trying to get the camera to replicate the fault but I can't. I do not have any other issues with the K-5, it just keeps spitting out fantastic pictures one after the other. I have been letting the battery drain out so I can give it it's first full charge and see what happens then. Like I said earlier, it had only occurred twice in the two months that I have had the camera and this is the first full depletion of the battery since purchased.