Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2012, 07:24 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
k-5 strange occurrence.

Everything is good.......
Was user error related

Last edited by kkennally; 05-21-2012 at 06:25 PM.
05-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #2

Have you updated to the latest firmware? Maybe that would help.
05-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Doanh Quote
Have you updated to the latest firmware? Maybe that would help.
Yes, i have the latest firmware 1.13
05-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kkennally Quote
I have been having an odd issue with my fairly new k-5 (bought from b&h in April with build date of 01-12-2012)
Lately when I turn the power on to the camera and the camera starts up the rear LCD screen is garbled. If I then turn the power off and then back on it is okay. I did not have this issue until I activated. DNG for my RAW format. I have since gone back to. PEF and I am waiting to see if it happens again. It only seems to occur if the camera is off for a couple of days and I first start it up.
Has anyone else experienced this?
The same happens to mine on occasion. It has happened both before and after I updated the firmware to 1.13. I have no idea what causes it.

05-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
The same happens to mine on occasion. It has happened both before and after I updated the firmware to 1.13. I have no idea what causes it.
Are you shooting raw. DNG?
05-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you shooting raw. DNG?
Jpeg.
05-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Jpeg.
Hmmm, well I guess I can forget that theory.

05-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #8

Original Poster
Has not happened in a couple of days now.....Maybe it will work itself out. I have only taken around 300 pictures with it since purchased.
05-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Never seen that -- mine is always set to PEF btw. Your theory is dubious, but it may hold. I think you still select either DNG or PEF as the RAW format even if you aren't shooting RAW.
05-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LCDs may be susceptible to electromagnetic fields. You don't by any chance have a cell phone near the screen?
05-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
LCDs may be susceptible to electromagnetic fields. You don't by any chance have a cell phone near the screen?
Usually in my pocket (smart phone) but as soon as you turn the camera off and then back on again it is fine. I will try and make a mental note in the future to insure my phone is at least 100 feet away so I can eliminate that as a possibility.

Last edited by kkennally; 05-16-2012 at 04:10 PM.
05-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Never seen that -- mine is always set to PEF btw. Your theory is dubious, but it may hold. I think you still select either DNG or PEF as the RAW format even if you aren't shooting RAW.
I figured it was pointless but it was the only change I made to the camera when the problem began.
05-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I figured it was pointless but it was the only change I made to the camera when the problem began.
If there is some weird bug, it could very well be you are right. Coding is like that -- it is the bugs that make no sense that don't get caught. I doubt it would be so simple as "set to DNG", but "set to DNG" + "all the other settings set to exactly what you have them set to" could very well create a problem. I am a programmer, and seem to have a special knack for finding bugs in software that no one else has seen before. I've seen much weirder ones.

Still, more likely you've got a loose wire or some circuitry isn't doing its job controlling voltage on startup. If you happen to be using a non-OEM battery, I'd be very suspicious of it.
05-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
If there is some weird bug, it could very well be you are right. Coding is like that -- it is the bugs that make no sense that don't get caught. I doubt it would be so simple as "set to DNG", but "set to DNG" + "all the other settings set to exactly what you have them set to" could very well create a problem. I am a programmer, and seem to have a special knack for finding bugs in software that no one else has seen before. I've seen much weirder ones.

Still, more likely you've got a loose wire or some circuitry isn't doing its job controlling voltage on startup. If you happen to be using a non-OEM battery, I'd be very suspicious of it.

I am using the stock battery;everything is stock (pentax). I don't think it is loose wiring due to the fact that I can turn it off then back on again and problem is fixed. I also think itis strange that another user has the same thing happen with his (pete-tarmigan). Like I said, it onlyseems to happen when the camera has been off for a few days and I start it upfor the first time (does not happen again that entire day). It almost seemslike it may be some type of "boot" initialization of the OS or anothertype of software glitch. I have gone as far as re-loading the firmware again.If I were to send it to Pentax I am not even sure if the problem would showitself for them so they could address it. I guess I am just a littlebaffled....

Last edited by kkennally; 05-16-2012 at 06:44 PM.
05-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I've had a few devices that would lock-up sometimes just inserting the battery -- usually a brand new battery. Seems like you're getting a mini-surge that is making things wonky. That would make sense if it usually happens when it has been off for some time.

I have a laptop that works ok here in dry Denver, but the keyboard starts typing by itself if I take it east to a more humid climate. All it takes is a contact that isn't quite perfect...