Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Bad AF selector switch?

Ok, I've got a weird issue with one of my K5s.

When I put certain lenses on the body, the camera sometimes freaks out a bit and doesn't recognize the AF. The "Choose Focal Length" screen comes on, and if I wiggle the lens a bit, the K5 realizes what lens it is, and gets back to normal.

1) At first I thought it was dirty contacts between the lens and body, but they are immaculate.

2) Then I thought it was the actual AF selector switch, but that works fine when I move it from AF-S to AF-C and MF.

3) Then I thought the lens drive shaft mechanism might have a loose connection somewhere that tells the camera it's an autofocus lens. When using a manual lens, the drive shaft doesn't fit in a lens driveshaft socket, and maybe the switch was bad as part of that mechanism. I then put a DA18-135 on the camera (which doesn't have a drive screw) and it did the same thing, as the DA18-135 is just a lens flange where the drive shaft is.

It also doesn't happen all the time. When it does, I can reproduce it easily.

Any ideas? Any one else?

Last edited by LaurenOE; 05-16-2012 at 06:23 PM.
05-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now with a video!

05-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Maybe one of the body pins doesn't stick out enough, and the K5 freaks and thinks its a manual lens?
05-17-2012, 04:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok, so this morning I tried it again after cleaning the contacts on the camera and the lens, and it appears to be working. I can't duplicate it today.

05-17-2012, 05:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad to hear you hopefully have the issue sorted - I was hoping that your new body was not defective.

Since you could reproduce the issue with different lenses, that pointed the issue to the body itself.

Perhaps there was some grease or something from the manufacture process on the contacts - hopefully the cleaning of the contacts has done the trick.
05-17-2012, 05:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Glad to hear you hopefully have the issue sorted - I was hoping that your new body was not defective.

Since you could reproduce the issue with different lenses, that pointed the issue to the body itself.

Perhaps there was some grease or something from the manufacture process on the contacts - hopefully the cleaning of the contacts has done the trick.
Thanks. I am still going to call Pentax when they get in today. It's weird.
05-17-2012, 06:38 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

If the choose focal length screen is coming on, then the camera isn't recognizing the A pin on the lens. If it's fine with some lenses and not others, then it is most likely the lens that is not being recognized as the problem and not the camera body.

05-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If the choose focal length screen is coming on, then the camera isn't recognizing the A pin on the lens. If it's fine with some lenses and not others, then it is most likely the lens that is not being recognized as the problem and not the camera body.
Cool. That is what I was thinking too. It's weird. We'll see if it continues over several weeks.