Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 extended warranty: Buyer's experience?

I'm curious to know what kind of experiences other users have had after taking advantage of the services extended by the 2-year warranty that was offered with the K-5 by B&H (I don't recall if the same extended warranty was offered by Adorama, but as I remember it, the warranty only cost an extra $20). The warranty included the option to send in the K-5 for an inspection, and since I paid the money I figured I might as well take advantage of the offer.

Have any fellow Pentaxians here sent in their DSLR for the checkup? If so, any comments on turn-around time, surprises, etc.? And if anything amiss was found, how did they handle the repair/adjustment?

I can happily say I have not had any specific problem with my K-5, though there have been a couple instances where I have been let down by inaccurate focus, in spite of having the focus confirmation symbol. Without the whole ball of wax, let's just say I considered a back/front-focusing issue with a lens, but because it's happened with more than one lens and in both auto- and manual-focus mode I'm a little leery that the issue might reside with the camera itself.

05-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #2

how does a camera miss focus in manual focus mode? focus confirmation is a very loose method

i believe additional warranty isnt justified. if something is wrong with a specific camera it will show up in the first year. after that you are usually good for several years

also if it isnt broken dont fix it is GOLD
05-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Patajac Quote
how does a camera miss focus in manual focus mode? focus confirmation is a very loose method
If the focus indicator light turns on when you're manually focusing and the final image is out-of-focus then something is wrong (the light functions whether you're using manual or auto focus). I rely on the focus indicator because I can't wear my glasses with the view finder; the diopter isn't sufficient enough to clarify the image.

I agree, if it's not broke, don't fix it. But it seems clear that it's not necessary operating correctly one hundred percent of the time.

Now back to the original question: Anyone take advantage of their warranty (regular or otherwise)?
05-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I was able to use my warranty to get a refund for my K-r which had tungsten focus problems. However, in your case I think you are grasping at straws, manual focus is by definition manual. However, the manual focus confirmation light uses the sensor from the AF phase detect module, so if the sensor is malfunctioning then your autofocus would be off as well. Therefore you should be able to get it fixed under warranty for Autofocus issues.

Also the focus confirm just shows that something is in focus in one of the active AF points, how do you have your camera set up?

05-18-2012, 11:59 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

changing seals every 12 months, do you really ???

I purchased used K5 ( still under Pentax AU warranty ) in Australia, it came with extended 2 extra years warranty ( body +17-70 lens).
Emailed extended warranty provider and was asked to pay $11 admin fee to reregister it into my name.
The conditions summary: do not take it to Pentax authorise service, send it (insured - funded by the provider) to us, our technician will asses the fault,fix it and send it insured back for free, if can not be fixed , we will replace it with working camera/lens with similar functionality or pay out current market value. With lot of exclusions, some rather ..( is anyone doing it every 12 months???)
9. In any “Waterproof or water resistant” equipment, a copy of a service record showing annual replacement of waterproof seals to preserve the water resistant feature, is required if a claim is made due to water intrusion.
05-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
Also the focus confirm just shows that something is in focus in one of the active AF points, how do you have your camera set up?
Thanks for the shared experience! I typically use the center focusing point to focus and then re-compose. I'll admit a couple times I've been flustered because I forgot I was using one of the custom focus points, but in those situations I've quickly realized the error and got back on track quickly.

In the instances where I was doing my best to determine if there were an actual problem I was careful enough to set up the camera in a very specific way: Stationary subjects, tripod, 2-second timer with mirror lock-up, center focus point, etc.

This all started when I was photographing some owls in a nest with two older manual telephoto lenses and my DA* 50-135mm. I was getting the focus confirmation in the center of the frame where the owls were, but upon later inspection on the computer it turns out they were far from being in sharp register. Some branches leading toward me at an angle appeared to be in focus, so I began to suspect an issue with the camera. Also, to be very clear, there were no other items between me and the subject; no twigs or branches, no leaves or fences. I counted myself lucky because the surrounding trees framed the scene so nicely. There was a perfect, open "window" between me and the owls with no interference whatsoever.
05-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
changing seals every 12 months, do you really ???
Oh my, that sounds like something my car dealership would recommend!

Likewise to you, thank you for the shared experience. So many people these days are quick to post bad reviews of services, but rarely do they praise good service! My main goal with this post was to see what the experience was like for Pentax customers, not necessarily diagnose my particular lens/camera issue. I mentioned my concerns just to give the question context.

Thanks again!
05-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

LowVoltage - I had a similar experience with AF on my K-5 - take a look at my thread (link below) of the problem that I started having, plus my experience with sending it in to CRIS for repair/calibration - maybe it will help with your questions.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/180191-k-5-auto-focus-issue.html