Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Cleaning mirror and focusing screen

I seem to had dirt trapped on either my mirror or focusing screen (or both, or under the mirror) or who knows where (but not specifically the sensor).
I can tell it is there because I can see it looking through the viewfinder whether a lens is attached or not. It doesn't show up when using live view as far as I can tell. It doesn't seem to be showing up in the photos, at least not at the moment. When I did have dark spots on my photos, I think I tracked that to sensor dust.

What suggestions do you have for cleaning the mirror and/or focusing screen and what really stupid ideas should I avoid. I have an old blower with detachable brush head that sometimes works, and sometimes the brush seems to lose a fiber in just the wrong place. I have an old pack of lens cleaning paper which I have not tried to use on the innards of my camera. Neither the blower or brush seems able to remove one of the specs I'm seeing on the focusing screen. And if it isn't going to cause me any problems I wonder if I should just leave it in place.

Thanks,
Marc

05-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would use a rocket blower, but probably 2 out of 10 others on this forum would tell you not to. I wouldn't use the blower that you have. It probably doesn't blow a concentrated stream like a rocket blower and brushes like that can probably do more harm than good. Also, you might have to drop the screen to clean off what is there. Use your lens paper to protect the mirror if you do.
05-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Best advice is to learn to live with it. The parts of the camera you are thinking of taking a hockey stick to are remarkably delicate, and unless you know what you are doing, you will damage your camera.
05-18-2012, 12:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Throw the brush blower in the bin immediately. This way you will not be tempted to use it any more. They introduce dust and gunk to the camera, more than they remove it.

05-18-2012, 01:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
what really stupid ideas should I avoid
Touching the mirror with anything - this is one of the most stupid ideas you should avoid
05-18-2012, 01:32 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Touching the mirror with anything - this is one of the most stupid ideas you should avoid
same thing applies for the focusing screen, waaay too delicate.

you could use a compressed air can the ones without liquid, but use it veeeeery carefully. With this one you dont blow dust inside the camera, but, the pressure is high so you have to be gentle.