Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Key advantages of K-5 over K-X

So like most of ya know I just got a K-5, upgraded from K-X. I'm loving it! Thanks for the help so far.

I was just wondering if I could get some feedback from other K-X owners that have also transitioned to K-5. What do you like most about the upgrades? What do you like about the K-X better?

I guess the main reason for me upgrading is the dynamic range along with improved image quality and color. Another bonus I noticed is that it has a light for assisted focusing in low light situations--this is something I missed on my K-X; I haven't tried it out yet but I assume it works well.

05-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a K-X but have thought about upgrading to a K-5 or maybe the K-30 for several reasons: better in low light, viewfinder AF points, and WR. Oh, and the ability to do front/back focus corrections. I think the thing I would miss most about the K-X is the lighter weight and more compact size.
05-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have the K-X before
Silent shutter, twin dial, assist light, faster AF, huge dynamic range vs K-X, better management of noise at higher ISO, I can put an external microphone when I do video and finally better LCD . Plus all these function in the menu
05-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The two control dials, the rear green button, separate AF and AE-L buttons, easier access to AF points, top ISO button, TAv mode, visible AF points, customisable user modes, customisation options, top LCD display, build quality, weather sealing and burst speed are my favourite aspects of the K-5 over the K-x.

That said I love my K-x because IT'S SO DAMN SMALL! K-x + 35mm f/2.4 is my wonderful little casual kit. Much smaller and lighter than the K-5 + 16-50.

05-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
So like most of ya know I just got a K-5, upgraded from K-X. I'm loving it! Thanks for the help so far.

I was just wondering if I could get some feedback from other K-X owners that have also transitioned to K-5. What do you like most about the upgrades? What do you like about the K-X better?

I guess the main reason for me upgrading is the dynamic range along with improved image quality and color. Another bonus I noticed is that it has a light for assisted focusing in low light situations--this is something I missed on my K-X; I haven't tried it out yet but I assume it works well.
How is the K-5 color superior to the K-x? If you are shooting RAW, color is based primarily on the lens and, of course, PP.

You can use the K-x's flash as a low-light assist.

I can't really think of a way the K-x would be better than the K-5, other than price & maybe the lack of FF issues.
05-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Weather resistance.

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
How is the K-5 color superior to the K-x? If you are shooting RAW, color is based primarily on the lens and, of course, PP.

You can use the K-x's flash as a low-light assist.

I can't really think of a way the K-x would be better than the K-5, other than price & maybe the lack of FF issues.
It could be that the increase in dynamic range is allowing for more natural/better transition of color spaces.
05-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only time I use my k-x instead of my k-5 is when I want a slightly lighter camera.
Otherwise it stays home.

05-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-x is a completely different beast which is much more basic overall.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #9

the handling...
man i just love magnesium body and a top LCD
05-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

As others have said, I think it largely comes down to the controls, such as the dual control dials, and DR benefits such as the ability to recover so well from poor exposure.

You may or may not like the color from the K-5 better. You'll want to use ISO 80 to get the best color out of the sensor. It's really difficult to process information that isn't captured in the first place, so the sensor matters whether you're shooting JPEG or RAW - be it color, DR, or resolution.

I sold my K-x right before I bought my K-5. I still kept my K200D. It took a while for me to adjust to the difference in color, and at first I liked the K-x better. I'm still not sure which I like better, after 18 months. Overall, I seem to like the color from the CCD sensor of the K200D the best.
05-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I pretty much love everything about K-5 over K-x other than the lack of color choices. It makes everything so much easier to operate with all the hardware dials/buttons. More importantly WR. I finally took my K-5 into shower the first time a couple weeks ago after spending a day in dusty and beach environments. So much easier to clean up the camera that way.
05-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
I finally took my K-5 into shower the first time a couple weeks ago after spending a day in dusty and beach environments. So much easier to clean up the camera that way.
Pretty funny! Considering that I used my K-5 with a WR lens uncovered for a couple of hours in a rainstorm, I don't think this would hurt.
05-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As a Kx owner (from June 2010) who bought a K5 (January 2012) I can tell you the things I like are the dual wheels now that I am used to them, greater dynamic range, and how much more quiet it is.
05-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #14

Another (minor) advantage of the K-5 over the K-x is the support of a cable shutter release.
05-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Originally posted by ruggiex*
I finally took my K-5 into shower the first time a couple weeks ago after spending a day in dusty and beach environments. So much easier to clean up the camera that way.
Pretty funny! Considering that I used my K-5 with a WR lens uncovered for a couple of hours in a rainstorm, I don't think this would hurt.
Actually yeah, giving my camera a shower is weirdly enjoyable. A quick rinse under the tap (at very low pressure) and it feels good as new! It's a very liberating feeling, and contributes to the K-5's sturdiness. Though mine's not exactly the golden standard of working perfectly...