Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
Forum Member

K5 locking up

Took my K5 out for a spin today, shooting some action, using AF.C, high continuous (although I took lots of single shots too) drive mode, TAv with various settings, with SR on.

I had the camera completely lock up on me 4 times over 700 pictures. It would lock somewhere between achieving autofocus and taking the picture, as each time it locked up the AF light in the viewfinder would stay lit up indefinitely. The controls would become inoperable - the top LCD was still on with the settings of the last shot, but none of the dials would do anything. Turning the power switch to off also did nothing. To get it working again, I had to pull the battery and place it back in, after which it would reset.

This may have happened when the buffer light was on but I was still taking pictures, but I'm not sure if that was the case every time.

It was a clear, sunny, 85f day and the camera wasn't experiencing anything unusual in terms of heat or movement.

Is this a known issue with the K5? Are there any fixes? Is it something I should send it in for warranty service?

05-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SenorBeef Quote
Took my K5 out for a spin today, shooting some action, using AF.C, high continuous (although I took lots of single shots too) drive mode, TAv with various settings, with SR on.

I had the camera completely lock up on me 4 times over 700 pictures. It would lock somewhere between achieving autofocus and taking the picture, as each time it locked up the AF light in the viewfinder would stay lit up indefinitely. The controls would become inoperable - the top LCD was still on with the settings of the last shot, but none of the dials would do anything. Turning the power switch to off also did nothing. To get it working again, I had to pull the battery and place it back in, after which it would reset.

This may have happened when the buffer light was on but I was still taking pictures, but I'm not sure if that was the case every time.

It was a clear, sunny, 85f day and the camera wasn't experiencing anything unusual in terms of heat or movement.

Is this a known issue with the K5? Are there any fixes? Is it something I should send it in for warranty service?
Interesting, this happened to me recently, for the first time after 6 months of high(ish) usage. Tv mode ( one of my most used modes) and AF-C. Normally use AF-S, so am wondering if this is a bug in AF-C implementation. Tne camera locked up once, had to remove the battery to reset.
05-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Do you have the latest firmware?

Was it all with the same lens?
05-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Firmware 1.13, all with the new 55-300 lens.

05-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Hmm...I was going to suspect the lens, but on second thought that probably doesn't make sense.

Maybe a buffer overflow from continuous shooting? Got a good (fast) SD card in there?
05-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
It's kind of a known issue. Something to do with low battery voltage and yes, it seems to happen on AF-C. You can see this thread here (one of the posts is mine):

New K-5 Locked Up: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Hasn't happened again in almost a year. I personally haven't found it to be a problem, but you may have different demands of course.
05-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It happened to me as well. It was the first time that I used AF.c and the first time that I used the DA55-300.

Difference with you is that I was in single shot mode and buffer was empty. It locked up during the focusing; so I think it's safe to assume that the issue ain't buffer related. Red focus indicator stayed lit which was the first indication that something was wrong.

I was however on v1.12, not 1.13; shooting a basketball game.
05-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
If it matters, it's the official Pentax battery that came with the camera... the charge went from around 80-90% at the start of the day to maybe 50% at the end I would guess, so it wasn't overcharged nor low.

05-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SenorBeef Quote
Is this a known issue with the K5?
Several threads about it. It is not a low battery-voltage issue, as it has happened with near-full batteries. My early issue cleared up on its own a long time ago.
05-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Is there any fix? Can you send it in for warranty service? Does it only happen under certain conditions? AF.C? Certain lenses?
07-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #11

Firmware Upgrades!!

It is imperative to make sure you are up to date on your firmware upgrades as you will experience 'lock up' on your camera. Even if you just bought a K5 and it is new.... this particular camera first came out in 2010 and who knows how long it has been on the shelf. It is entirely possible for a new camera to be needing a firmware upgrade if technology has raced along in between the manufacturing date and the purchase date.

My K10D gave me similar issues and like many of you have described... taking the battery in and out did momentarily reset the camera long enough to snap a few more images. Since doing the firmware upgrades, and there have been a few, I no longer have lock up issues. The camera performs like a charm. Nearly 100,000 images so far and still going!

Some folks have commented on low battery issues, I recommend you keep a secondary battery, fully charged in your pocket on all shoots and swap it out if your issue is low battery. They are approx $100 new.

Here is the site... Software Downloads : Support & Service | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING
To check your version, press and hold the menu button and simultaneously turn the camera ON. (let go of the menu button now)
Good luck!
07-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
All this K-5 lock-up stories is starting to scare me. I have a K-5 coming in tomorrow and hope to God it's going to be all OK.
07-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #13
Forum Member

Well to add one more to the pot without starting another thread, my K-5 locked up twice in the last two days. Both times in TaV mode shooting with the D FA 100mm. I've used almost nothing but this lens and this is the first time I've had this issue. Both time I needed to remove the battery to fix it.
07-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Were you using AF.C?
07-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #15
Forum Member

Sorry I forgot to mention, but yes. Was following some bees when I noticed it had stopped responding. Also the battery had literally just come out of the charger. Maybe 15 shots were taken before it locked.