Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #1

Battery grip for the K5

I just bought a cheap (49.00) battery grip for the K5 from amazon and it was a little flimsy compared to the K5 body. I guess there is a big difference from the actual battery grip to the 2nd hand ones. Does anyone have experience with this?

05-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Never used a 3rd party grip before, but I've personally found the genuine grips for each of my cameras past and present to be as well-built as the cameras themselves. And that's what I'd want to be assured the kit will last the distance under all shooting conditions I put it through.
05-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had the after-market grip for about 18months and it was never really "right." It always showed full batteries as 3/4 full, paint came off all the switches, etc and it finally (just before I retired it) would report a fresh battery as empty (I verified this by placing the battery in the K-5 and the meter showed full).

I have an original Pentax grip for each of my cameras now (K-5, K20D) and in hindsight, I should have just shelled out the cash for the Pentax product in the first place.

Last edited by fccwpe; 05-21-2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: clarification
05-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #4

I'm regretting the 3rd party grip I'm currently using with my K5. The battery door plastic lever has broken off after only a few months of use and the on/off mechanism is very poorly made by comparison to the one on the camera and Pentax grip versions.

I used the Pentax grip with my K10D and K20D and it is far superior. Unfortunately for me, the backup battery/SD storage/vertical grip features while useful, aren't worth the extra $$ to shell out at this time :-/

05-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I have a third-party grip that is very well made though it's plastic (but I understand the Pentax grip is as well). So far I have no problems with it. I don't really need the portrait view controls, but I have big hands and without the grip my little finger is always hanging off the end of the K-5. I also would rather attach a quick release plate to a $50 grip than to the $1k camera....
05-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ENicolas Quote
I have a third-party grip that is very well made though it's plastic (but I understand the Pentax grip is as well). So far I have no problems with it. I don't really need the portrait view controls, but I have big hands and without the grip my little finger is always hanging off the end of the K-5. I also would rather attach a quick release plate to a $50 grip than to the $1k camera....
Why would you rather have the plate on the grip vs. the camera? i dont feel that this makes sense. Or is it just me?
05-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
Inactive Account

To keep from scraping it up. Ever seen "tripod ring" on the bottom of a camera?
05-22-2012, 02:23 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by tinyt187 Quote
I'm regretting the 3rd party grip I'm currently using with my K5. The battery door plastic lever has broken off after only a few months of use and the on/off mechanism is very poorly made by comparison to the one on the camera and Pentax grip versions.
I had two 3rd party grips, one for the K5 and one for the K7. One had the battery door lever break off, the other had the shutter release button fall off. Between the two I could make one that still worked. I was also a little concerned with the WR on the generic grips.

I should have bought the Pentax Battery grips in the first place, I now have a Pentax grip for each of my K5's, and still have the 3rd party on the K7 (which gets very little use).

JC

05-22-2012, 04:11 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ENicolas Quote
To keep from scraping it up. Ever seen "tripod ring" on the bottom of a camera?
I was more thinking from the perspective of attaching a camera via a plastic less secure point rather than a metal and thus more secure attachment point.
05-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #10
Pentaxian

While a plastic imitation k5 grip may not be durable, it could serve as an emergency power source if you're in a remote location for an extended period and lose your charger, or your multiple li90s all happen to die simultaneously. It can also serve as storage for 1.5 sets of batteries for your second body (k100 - k30) that you might want to carry with you anyway.

Paul
08-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The stories above reinforce my belief that buying third party camera gear is a mistake. I've never been satisfied when doing so and always end up buying original equipment at more expense later. I'm in the market for a grip for my K5 and will get the Pentax model when I purchase.

Tom G
08-17-2012, 06:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

It depends which third party grip you got (and its near impossible to find a specific one). The one that I had which was ordered from deal extreme matched the quality of my k-5's (besides the plastic dial which didn't have the k-5's rubberised finish on them). The only reason I sold it was because it wasn't WR and I wanted to keep my gear WR at all times. I've not had any problems using third party gears, the AA adaptor that I purchased on ebay for my k-r was excellent, so are the 2 batteries for my k-5. It really just depends which manufacturer produced the thing (I believe there is more than one) and the quality varies between them.
08-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #13

I have both a genuine grip on my k-5 and an aftermarket one on my K-7. WhileI have had no trouble with the aftermarket grip, it is noticeably cheaplybuilt. The buttons don't feel as nice, epically the on off switch, as the genuine one and the printing has worn off. I think it comes down to what youcan afford.

Last edited by Glen Schossow; 08-25-2012 at 05:28 PM.
08-25-2012, 07:01 AM   #14
Site Supporter

My Dealextreme version of the grip lasted me 1.5 years before the contacts to the batteries died and the marking on the grip got wiped out after using it for 6 months.