Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #16
Pentaxian
liukaitc's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,005
k-5 is still better for photography
you might say k-30 is better for video
but the lacking of HDMI out and external mic jack prevent it for serious video work.

05-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #17
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
k-5 is still better for photography
you might say k-30 is better for video
but the lacking of HDMI out and external mic jack prevent it for serious video work.
HDMI out yes but the mic jack does not effect serious audio work, if you're serious about that you've a recorder.
05-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #18
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Frankfurt
Photos: Albums
Posts: 89
I think the K-30 does not have mirror lock up possibility. At least this is what I have seen in the B&H website I think.
This can matter in some situations when one takes pictures on a tripod (with certain critical speed levels).
05-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #19
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
Use the 2 second delay, that will most likely do the mirror lock up automaticly.

what about lens AF correction, anything about that?

05-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #20
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 160
Original Poster
thanks for all the info everyone, I do read it all!
05-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #21
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 64
very helpful info folks

I was almost thinking of trade my k-5 for a k30, just because of the AA battery compatibility.

Now I decide to keep k5.
05-21-2012, 11:59 PM   #22
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,600
QuoteOriginally posted by kamisu Quote
Does the sensor added to help AF takes some of the incoming light and consequently reduces low light performance, as Sony cameras (like A55) do ?
No. The AF sensor on the K-30 is out of the direct light path of the mirror and sensor, and is basically the same setup as the K-r, K5, K-x etc, so is very different from the pellicle mirror design arrangement of the A55. What Pentax have done with the K30 AF is just give the AF sensor module access to more and better quality scene information/light by filtering out CA etc, and thrown in some more AF processing smarts.

Last edited by rawr; 05-22-2012 at 12:32 AM.
05-22-2012, 01:33 AM   #23
gtl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 349
Strange the difference in battery life. Do they share the same lithium battery? I would wait for the conclusion on improved AF to make any decisions.

05-22-2012, 05:30 AM   #24
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 8,939
One can add "dedicated, piezo-ceramic element based, dust removal mechanism" to the list.

The K-30 only uses the SR mechanism to shake the sensor in an attempt to dislodge dust. The dedicated system in the K-5 is known to be much more effective.
05-22-2012, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member
mickey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Japan
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,073
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I hope you don't mind me updating this list a little

1) faster FPS burst
2) metal body
3) top lcd
4) a few more dedicated buttons (eg separate AF and AE-L, AF number of points selection switch)
5) faster shutter speed 1/8000
6) wider EV compensation
7) provision for battery grip
8) 14 bit RAW
9) 80 - 51200 ISO
10) expanded bracketing choices
11) expanded user modes (5 vs 2)
12) wired remote port
12) much longer battery life (~450 shots vs 1,000+)
13) HDMI out
14) microphone jack
15) DOF on the on/off switch
16) much deeper RAW buffer
You make a very strong case for the k-5.

But...k30:

1. Stormtrooper white and black.
05-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #26
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 160
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
You make a very strong case for the k-5.

But...k30:

1. Stormtrooper white and black.
LOL yeah the color my Kx is in. I'll pass up such noticeable color if need be for the all black(and sexy looking) k5
05-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #27
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
QuoteOriginally posted by gtl Quote
Strange the difference in battery life. Do they share the same lithium battery? I would wait for the conclusion on improved AF to make any decisions.
Different
05-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #28
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 160
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ruoyun.huang Quote
very helpful info folks

I was almost thinking of trade my k-5 for a k30, just because of the AA battery compatibility.

Now I decide to keep k5.
well if you buy the k5 battery grip then you have the option to put in either 6AA batteries or another rechargeable k5 battery. I think I would go for the extra k5 battery since it has a slot to slide in the pentax f remote...least from what I read (if i read it correctly).
05-22-2012, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
Updated list of K-5 advantages vs. K-30
1) faster FPS burst
2) metal body
3) top lcd
4) a few more dedicated buttons (eg separate AF and AE-L, AF number of points selection switch)
5) faster shutter speed 1/8000
6) wider EV compensation
7) provision for battery grip
8) 14 bit RAW
9) 80 - 51200 ISO
10) expanded bracketing choices
11) expanded user modes (5 vs 2)
12) much longer battery life (~450 shots vs 1,000+)
13) HDMI out
14) microphone jack
15) DOF on the on/off switch
16) much deeper RAW buffer
17) More effective self sensor cleaning (K30 just shakes sensor, K-5 includes some ultra sonic magic that is very effective). Credit to Class A for noticing this. As someone with a K-x and K-5 I can attest to the excellent sensor self cleaning of the K-5 vs the K-x.
18) If the K30 sensor performs as the K-01 (seems likely, both 12 bit RAW and ISO100 floor) then the K-5 has slightly better IQ at all ISO's, see DXO graphs
05-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #30
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 160
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Updated list of K-5 advantages vs. K-30
1) faster FPS burst
2) metal body
3) top lcd
4) a few more dedicated buttons (eg separate AF and AE-L, AF number of points selection switch)
5) faster shutter speed 1/8000
6) wider EV compensation
7) provision for battery grip
8) 14 bit RAW
9) 80 - 51200 ISO
10) expanded bracketing choices
11) expanded user modes (5 vs 2)
12) much longer battery life (~450 shots vs 1,000+)
13) HDMI out
14) microphone jack
15) DOF on the on/off switch
16) much deeper RAW buffer
17) More effective self sensor cleaning (K30 just shakes sensor, K-5 includes some ultra sonic magic that is very effective). Credit to Class A for noticing this. As someone with a K-x and K-5 I can attest to the excellent sensor self cleaning of the K-5 vs the K-x.
18) If the K30 sensor performs as the K-01 (seems likely, both 12 bit RAW and ISO100 floor) then the K-5 has slightly better IQ at all ISO's, see DXO graphs
good comprehensive list of advantages, hopefully it has/will help others in the same position as me. thanks.

quick question will a 3rd party IR remote that works with the kx work with either the K5 and/or the K30?

now to sell my kx and tablet for funds to buy the k5...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k30, k5, k5 vs, list, pentax k-5, thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K30, K5n, K3 and maybe full-frame at Photokina... frankfanrui Pentax News and Rumors 638 09-06-2012 07:08 AM
Pentax K30 Picture Leak & Discussion: Weather-sealed intro DSLR LFLee Pentax News and Rumors 1054 05-31-2012 01:12 AM
K-r successor: K30 LFLee Pentax News and Rumors 653 05-23-2012 11:12 AM
New K30 skyescape Welcomes and Introductions 1 05-17-2012 12:27 AM
There will be no K30 JCPentax Pentax News and Rumors 64 06-04-2009 06:07 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:12 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top