Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #46
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,795
Agreed, all these pros and cons on either side need to have your own specific weighting value.

05-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #47
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 92
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Updated list of K-5 advantages vs. K-30
1) faster FPS burst
2) metal body
3) top lcd
4) a few more dedicated buttons (eg separate AF and AE-L, AF number of points selection switch)
5) faster shutter speed 1/8000
6) wider EV compensation
7) provision for battery grip
8) 14 bit RAW
9) 80 - 51200 ISO
10) expanded bracketing choices
11) expanded user modes (5 vs 2)
12) much longer battery life (~450 shots vs 1,000+)
13) HDMI out
14) microphone jack
15) DOF on the on/off switch
16) much deeper RAW buffer
17) More effective self sensor cleaning (K30 just shakes sensor, K-5 includes some ultra sonic magic that is very effective). Credit to Class A for noticing this. As someone with a K-x and K-5 I can attest to the excellent sensor self cleaning of the K-5 vs the K-x.
18) If the K30 sensor performs as the K-01 (seems likely, both 12 bit RAW and ISO100 floor) then the K-5 has slightly better IQ at all ISO's, see DXO graphs
I would like to add #19) The K5 makes for an excellent defensive weapon. You could really knock someone out with the K5...not so sure you could put someone in the hospital with a K30. Something to keep in the back of your mind on your next ghettography journey.
05-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #48
Veteran Member
Buschmaster's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 806
Can someone help me understand why HDMI out is a big necessity for video recording?

It's interesting as we all have different rankings for what is most important. I'll be waiting to see how improved the AF is before making a decision on which one to get. Considering I'm currently using a K20D, either one would seem to be an upgrade. Video will be really nice to have, I want it to be able to record my app demo videos on my iDevices.
05-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #49
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 92
QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
Can someone help me understand why HDMI out is a big necessity for video recording?

It's interesting as we all have different rankings for what is most important. I'll be waiting to see how improved the AF is before making a decision on which one to get. Considering I'm currently using a K20D, either one would seem to be an upgrade. Video will be really nice to have, I want it to be able to record my app demo videos on my iDevices.
From reading the K5 manual you have a choice of either using Composite Video out or HDMI out. If I understand this correctly composite video output is only 480i. So If your shooting HD video in 720P or 1080P you will have to use the HDMI output to get the proper display on your monitor.

There is also a USB port so you can transfer your files directly to your computer.


Last edited by SuperK5; 05-23-2012 at 09:42 PM.
05-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #50
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
Can someone help me understand why HDMI out is a big necessity for video recording?
For an external monitor or an EVF, if you've one of those it makes using the camera for video a bit more pleasant.
05-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #51
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Frankfurt
Photos: Albums
Posts: 89
"I would like to add #19) The K5 makes for an excellent defensive weapon. You could really knock someone out with the K5...not so sure you could put someone in the hospital with a K30. Something to keep in the back of your mind on your next ghettography journey."


SuperK5, I am falling off my chair laughing...))
05-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #52
Veteran Member
Eruditass's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,206
QuoteOriginally posted by CTR01 Quote
video format, weight and colors are double edge swords...

if you dont do much video then just having 1080p recording is fine, regardless of format (this applies to me)

weight can be good to make it feel solid and helps balance out a heavy/long lens (i like this)

color is cool to some degree but after having a whte kx with white kit lens, its annoying that all other lenses are black (least the one I use)
Having options for color doesn't make it a double edged sword. Your weight is the only true double edged sword and I agree with that.

Video format is infact a double edged sword for different reasons. Motion-JPEG on the K-5 is easier for more extreme editing. But it is humungous and can actually be lower quality. H.264 is much smaller which is better for countless reasons, like sharing and SD card usage.
05-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #53
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 480
I'm in the same boat about upgrading from a K-X to either the K30 or K5. I'm leaning towards waiting to see if the K5 prices drop some more then I'll jump on one.

05-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #54
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 160
Original Poster
I think at this point Im still sticking with the k5 since prices are good now. But we will see what people say regarding the k30 but unlikely anything that could sway me...
05-24-2012, 04:20 AM   #55
Pentaxian
bobmaxja's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Laval, Quebec Canada
Posts: 1,699
One thing people to mention, K-5 use the ultrasonic dust cleaning , the K-30 use a non ultrasonic as per spec
05-24-2012, 04:53 AM   #56
Veteran Member
Buschmaster's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 806
QuoteOriginally posted by SuperK5 Quote
From reading the K5 manual you have a choice of either using Composite Video out or HDMI out. If I understand this correctly composite video output is only 480i. So If your shooting HD video in 720P or 1080P you will have to use the HDMI output to get the proper display on your monitor.

There is also a USB port so you can transfer your files directly to your computer.
Right. I feel like it's just as easy to plug in the USB or even just the SD card for viewing them later...

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
For an external monitor or an EVF, if you've one of those it makes using the camera for video a bit more pleasant.
Now this makes sense... I could see that being more helpful than LV is directly on the camera. Question is again, wouldn't you be able to plug the K-30 in using USB and using Pentax's software?
05-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #57
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
Now this makes sense... I could see that being more helpful than LV is directly on the camera. Question is again, wouldn't you be able to plug the K-30 in using USB and using Pentax's software?
Nope they use HMDI for their connection, at least most of them do.

And how do you want to fit an computer onto the camera???
05-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #58
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 160
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Nope they use HMDI for their connection, at least most of them do.

And how do you want to fit an computer onto the camera???
I think by playback on an external monitro/tv they mean after the recording you go home and then hook up the camera to review images/videos. Or you could bring a laptop or tablet(if compatible).
05-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #59
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
Who has it about playback?
I'm talking about real time video send to the monitor or EVF like liveview.
05-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #60
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 160
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Who has it about playback?
I'm talking about real time video send to the monitor or EVF like liveview.
I dont think you can and if you could then it wouldnt really be practical to carry a laptop/external screen hooked up to use as an evf
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k30, k5, k5 vs, list, pentax k-5, thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K30, K5n, K3 and maybe full-frame at Photokina... frankfanrui Pentax News and Rumors 638 09-06-2012 07:08 AM
Pentax K30 Picture Leak & Discussion: Weather-sealed intro DSLR LFLee Pentax News and Rumors 1054 05-31-2012 01:12 AM
K-r successor: K30 LFLee Pentax News and Rumors 653 05-23-2012 11:12 AM
New K30 skyescape Welcomes and Introductions 1 05-17-2012 12:27 AM
There will be no K30 JCPentax Pentax News and Rumors 64 06-04-2009 06:07 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:16 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top