Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #61
Col
Veteran Member
Col's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Stansted Essex
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 615
The K-5 is cheaper

Can't think of a better pro than that in the UK.

It's interesting in reviewing this thread to see how many features the K-5 has that no one has remembered. Oh the fuss that the K10 lacked an intervalometer or the K-7's was too short.

05-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #62
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
QuoteOriginally posted by CTR01 Quote
I dont think you can and if you could then it wouldnt really be practical to carry a laptop/external screen hooked up to use as an evf
You can with the K5 not the K-01

There are no laptops with HDMI-IN so taht won't work

here is an simple setup for filming.


this what a field monitor looks like.


and here is where it ends...

Last edited by Anvh; 05-24-2012 at 10:20 PM.
05-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #63
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 92
QuoteOriginally posted by CTR01 Quote
I dont think you can and if you could then it wouldnt really be practical to carry a laptop/external screen hooked up to use as an evf
From what I was reading in the K5 Manual it says that when you enable the HDMI output the 3" LCD screen is disabled and the LCD display is redirected through the HDMI cable to the monitor. I'm not totally certain if this is only for playback or if you can actually use the monitor while shooting video. If it allows you to use an external monitor while shooting video then that would work great in a studio like setting.

Last edited by SuperK5; 05-24-2012 at 07:38 PM.
05-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #64
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 160
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
You can with the K5 not the K-01

There are no laptops with HDMI-IN so taht won't work

here is an simple setup for filming.


this what a field monitor looks like.


and here is where it ends...
Ahh i see what you mean now, sorry I misunderstood what you meant I guess, and that is pretty awesome! But I dont think I would ever go there or do that haha.

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperK5 Quote
From what I was reading in the K5 Manual it says that when you enable the HDMI output the 3" LCD screen is disabled and the LCD display is redirected through the HDMI cable to the monitor. I'm not totally certain if this is only for playback or if you can actually use the monitor while shooting video. If it allows you to use an external monitor while shooting video then that would work great in a studio like setting.
Thanks for the useful additional information!

05-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #65
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Southern Calif
Posts: 564
Both have the same +/- 5 EV Compensation

Should this remain on your list?

Jatrax said:
Here is what the k-5 still has as an advantage:
6) wider EV compensation
05-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #66
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 340
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
AutoFocus technology
Focus Peaking
Video format?
Weight
Colors
The K30 also shares the K-01's Live view that is not nightmarishly slow and useless for just about anything that moves.
05-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #67
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
QuoteOriginally posted by CTR01 Quote
Ahh i see what you mean now, sorry I misunderstood what you meant I guess, and that is pretty awesome! But I dont think I would ever go there or do that haha.
It can be on option to consider for some, to aid them.
these monitors also often have features to aid you like focus peaking, some even have different kinds of peaking, zebra stripes in all forms and colours to just name some things.
They are pretty awesome and i can see them being useful for not only filming but actually any type of photography from an tripod


The k5 keeps the signal during recording but it falls back to a lower resolution then, for stills no limitations i know off.
The K-01 stop sending HDMI out when recording so you can't use it for filming, but for stills no problem either.
Very stupid that the K-01 cant do it... it cripples it as a "serious" video camera.
05-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #68
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
Should this remain on your list?

Jatrax said:
Here is what the k-5 still has as an advantage:
6) wider EV compensation
wider bracketing then

05-24-2012, 11:23 PM   #69
Col
Veteran Member
Col's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Stansted Essex
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 615
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
You can with the K5 not the K-01

There are no laptops with HDMI-IN so taht won't work

here is an simple setup for filming.


this what a field monitor looks like.


and here is where it ends...
... nope, I can't see where that ends at all! I hadn't realised there was an off camera bracket system designed by M.C.Escher.
05-25-2012, 01:00 AM   #70
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 160
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
It can be on option to consider for some, to aid them.
these monitors also often have features to aid you like focus peaking, some even have different kinds of peaking, zebra stripes in all forms and colours to just name some things.
They are pretty awesome and i can see them being useful for not only filming but actually any type of photography from an tripod


The k5 keeps the signal during recording but it falls back to a lower resolution then, for stills no limitations i know off.
The K-01 stop sending HDMI out when recording so you can't use it for filming, but for stills no problem either.
Very stupid that the K-01 cant do it... it cripples it as a "serious" video camera.
Gotcha', thanks for the extra information and clarification.
05-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #71
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Updated list of K-5 advantages vs. K-30
1) faster FPS burst
2) metal body
3) top lcd
4) a few more dedicated buttons (eg separate AF and AE-L, AF number of points selection switch)
5) faster shutter speed 1/8000
6) wider EV compensation
7) provision for battery grip
8) 14 bit RAW
9) 80 - 51200 ISO
10) expanded bracketing choices
11) expanded user modes (5 vs 2)
12) much longer battery life (~450 shots vs 1,000+)
13) HDMI out
14) microphone jack
15) DOF on the on/off switch
16) much deeper RAW buffer
17) More effective self sensor cleaning (K30 just shakes sensor, K-5 includes some ultra sonic magic that is very effective). Credit to Class A for noticing this. As someone with a K-x and K-5 I can attest to the excellent sensor self cleaning of the K-5 vs the K-x.
18) If the K30 sensor performs as the K-01 (seems likely, both 12 bit RAW and ISO100 floor) then the K-5 has slightly better IQ at all ISO's, see DXO graphs
K-30 can also do EV compensation up to +/- 5. Don't know what you meant by 6) wider EV compensation
05-28-2012, 01:07 AM   #72
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
K-30 can also do EV compensation up to +/- 5. Don't know what you meant by 6) wider EV compensation
Thanks Frank.

Updated list of K-5 advantages vs. K-30
1) faster FPS burst
2) metal body
3) top lcd
4) a few more dedicated buttons (eg separate AF and AE-L, AF number of points selection switch)
5) faster shutter speed 1/8000
6) provision for battery grip
7) 14 bit RAW
8) 80 - 51200 ISO
9) expanded bracketing choices
10) expanded user modes (5 vs 2)
11) much longer battery life (~450 shots vs 1,000+)
12) HDMI out
13) microphone jack
14) DOF on the on/off switch
15) much deeper RAW buffer
16) More effective self sensor cleaning (K30 just shakes sensor, K-5 includes some ultra sonic magic that is very effective). Credit to Class A for noticing this. As someone with a K-x and K-5 I can attest to the excellent sensor self cleaning of the K-5 vs the K-x.
17) If the K30 sensor performs as the K-01 (seems likely, both 12 bit RAW and ISO100 floor) then the K-5 has slightly better IQ at all ISO's, see DXO graphs
05-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #73
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 160
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Thanks Frank.

Updated list of K-5 advantages vs. K-30
1) faster FPS burst
2) metal body
3) top lcd
4) a few more dedicated buttons (eg separate AF and AE-L, AF number of points selection switch)
5) faster shutter speed 1/8000
6) provision for battery grip
7) 14 bit RAW
8) 80 - 51200 ISO
9) expanded bracketing choices
10) expanded user modes (5 vs 2)
11) much longer battery life (~450 shots vs 1,000+)
12) HDMI out
13) microphone jack
14) DOF on the on/off switch
15) much deeper RAW buffer
16) More effective self sensor cleaning (K30 just shakes sensor, K-5 includes some ultra sonic magic that is very effective). Credit to Class A for noticing this. As someone with a K-x and K-5 I can attest to the excellent sensor self cleaning of the K-5 vs the K-x.
17) If the K30 sensor performs as the K-01 (seems likely, both 12 bit RAW and ISO100 floor) then the K-5 has slightly better IQ at all ISO's, see DXO graphs
awesome! thanks for the updated list. The fps burst, weather resistant body, faster shutter speed, can have a battery grip, big iso range, hdmi out, and longer battery life are enough to keep me convinced.

I updated the battery life advantage a bit, just in case others read this and became confused as to why the advantage of having the k5 listed at 450 shots vs the k30 @ 1000 shots.

Updated list of K-5 advantages vs. K-30
1) faster FPS burst
2) metal body
3) top lcd
4) a few more dedicated buttons (eg separate AF and AE-L, AF number of points selection switch)
5) faster shutter speed 1/8000
6) provision for battery grip
7) 14 bit RAW
8) 80 - 51200 ISO
9) expanded bracketing choices
10) expanded user modes (5 vs 2)
11) much longer battery life (k30~450 shots vs k5:1,000+)
12) HDMI out
13) microphone jack
14) DOF on the on/off switch
15) much deeper RAW buffer
16) More effective self sensor cleaning (K30 just shakes sensor, K-5 includes some ultra sonic magic that is very effective). Credit to Class A for noticing this. As someone with a K-x and K-5 I can attest to the excellent sensor self cleaning of the K-5 vs the K-x.
17) If the K30 sensor performs as the K-01 (seems likely, both 12 bit RAW and ISO100 floor) then the K-5 has slightly better IQ at all ISO's, see DXO graphs
05-29-2012, 01:20 AM   #74
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Guildford, England
Posts: 12
Thanks for all the help guys. I had the same question and have just gone for a k5. The top lcd and magnesium body swung it for me. Plus the k5 is available now and should be pretty sorted out, rather than waiting for k30 which might have teething issues (thinking sensor stain issues).

Ordered from SRS based on forum feedback, so hoping it all works out. Will post my thoughts when it arrives.
05-29-2012, 01:25 AM   #75
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,254
QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
k-5 is still better for photography
you might say k-30 is better for video
but the lacking of HDMI out and external mic jack prevent it for serious video work.
Silly...K-30 is good for photography as K-5...
As for HDMI - I don't see any necessity in HDMI at all.

Serious video work - it's recording sound separately. Don't you know it?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k30, k5, k5 vs, list, pentax k-5, thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K30, K5n, K3 and maybe full-frame at Photokina... frankfanrui Pentax News and Rumors 638 09-06-2012 07:08 AM
Pentax K30 Picture Leak & Discussion: Weather-sealed intro DSLR LFLee Pentax News and Rumors 1054 05-31-2012 01:12 AM
K-r successor: K30 LFLee Pentax News and Rumors 653 05-23-2012 11:12 AM
New K30 skyescape Welcomes and Introductions 1 05-17-2012 12:27 AM
There will be no K30 JCPentax Pentax News and Rumors 64 06-04-2009 06:07 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:57 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top