Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Thanks Frank.

Updated list of K-5 advantages vs. K-30
1) faster FPS burst
2) metal body
3) top lcd
4) a few more dedicated buttons (eg separate AF and AE-L, AF number of points selection switch)
5) faster shutter speed 1/8000
6) provision for battery grip
7) 14 bit RAW
8) 80 - 51200 ISO
9) expanded bracketing choices
10) expanded user modes (5 vs 2)
11) much longer battery life (~450 shots vs 1,000+)
12) HDMI out
13) microphone jack
14) DOF on the on/off switch
15) much deeper RAW buffer
16) More effective self sensor cleaning (K30 just shakes sensor, K-5 includes some ultra sonic magic that is very effective). Credit to Class A for noticing this. As someone with a K-x and K-5 I can attest to the excellent sensor self cleaning of the K-5 vs the K-x.
17) If the K30 sensor performs as the K-01 (seems likely, both 12 bit RAW and ISO100 floor) then the K-5 has slightly better IQ at all ISO's, see DXO graphs
I advice you to think twice about advantages before post it

1) As I know K-30 is almost the same (K-5 never reached 7 fps. not above 6.5 fps in reality)
2) +/- where is advantage?
3) with very good info back LCD - no need top LCD at all. I have K-5 and K200D - I use top LCD at K200D and very rare with K-5. How do think - why?
4) You can choose it (AF points) thru info menu at back LCD very quick.
6) +/- AA adapter is very usefull thing which can change battery grip.
7) it's interesting only with ISO80 shooting
8) ISO80 - OK, 51200 - useless.
10) K-30 has U1 and U2 with fast access, K-5 is only 1. I don't care that K-5 has 5 modes in menu.
11) With AA adapter, K-30 can shoot till 1600 pictures (with Energizer Lithium)
12) No any problem at all
14) Useless thing
15) No such info yet. As I know K-30 has bigger buffer.
16) Where did you get this info? No manual yet.
17) It's unreal to see any difference in IQ with so small difference in data of DXO.

I see only item 5, 9 and 13 as REAL advantage.

Last edited by ogl; 05-29-2012 at 08:54 AM.
05-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #77
Veteran Member

@ogl
Maybe for you but that doesn't mean for anyone else.

1) but there is a differnce
2) better build quality
3) With the K5 i've the back LCD off almost all the time, i use the viewfinder or top lcd for changing settings, beside that it's useful it also drains less battery.
4) AF points isn't the problem but i use AF and AE-L quite often, not have dictated button means i need to stop using one.
6) no idea what that means, the K30 doesn't have a grip and K5 does, end of discussion.
7) also higher, with regards to noise.
8) agreed but it's a differnce
10) I almost never used them, beside 1 for concert and have 1 mode for not experience user set.
11) great if you want to shoot with AA which i dont
12) real let down, means no video camera for me
13) no audio jack is something i can live with since i record audio externally.
14) i hardly use that one either...
15) yes there is from official source, Pentax USA
16) It's not advertised anywhere
17) Hold K-01 RAW and K5 RAW side by side and you see it, sure not a deal breaker if you ask me.
05-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #78
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
@ogl
Maybe for you but that doesn't mean for anyone else.

1) but there is a differnce
negligible
2) better build quality
I don't see difference.
3) With the K5 i've the back LCD off almost all the time, i use the viewfinder or top lcd for changing settings, beside that it's useful it also drains less battery.
4) AF points isn't the problem but i use AF and AE-L quite often, not have dictated button means i need to stop using one.
how often do you use AE-L and AF button? Especially, AF.
6) no idea what that means, the K30 doesn't have a grip and K5 does, end of discussion.
I use battery grip with K200D and don't use with K-5. I like compactness with K-5.
7) also higher, with regards to noise.
8) agreed but it's a differnce
we say about advantages, not difference, right?
15) yes there is from official source, Pentax USA
No such info at pentax.jp, at pentax.ru - we see much better info. 21 RAW and 176 JPEG in 6 fps mode.
16) It's not advertised anywhere
17) Hold K-01 RAW and K5 RAW side by side and you see it, sure not a deal breaker if you ask me.
We say about K-30. Did you try already RAW from K-30?
05-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #79
Veteran Member

1) depends, if we assume the same error then we are talking about 1fps differnce that is a 20% differnce... not sure since when 20% can be called negligible.

2) that you dont see it doesn't mean there is. If you can chose would you rather have the DA40XS or the DA40 limited

4) AF button all the time since i removed the AF from the shutter release and AE-L gets used also quite often when i use half automatic modes but i mostly shoot M.

6) for you but that doesn't mean it's a important difference for someone else.

8) well it's an advantage, very noisy ISO 51200 is better then no ISO51200 at all right, if you ever use it is beyond that.

15) okay i did my best, point me out where they state the buffer K-30?PENTAX RICOH IMAGING
And yes i know basic japense, enough to have a sense what they are talking about and i can read the numbers when they are written out.

All i could find is this but they don't state the buffer only the frame rate with JPEG.
ドライブモード 1コマ、連続(Hi、Lo)、セルフタイマー(12秒後、2秒後)、リモコン(即、3秒後)、露出ブラケット(3コマ)
連続撮影 約6.0コマ/秒(JPEG、連続Hi時)約3.0コマ/秒(JPEG、連続Lo時)

05-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #80
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
1) depends, if we assume the same error then we are talking about 1fps differnce that is a 20% differnce... not sure since when 20% can be called negligible.
6 vs 6.5 fps - 20%? I think it's 8%.

4) AF button all the time since i removed the AF from the shutter release and AE-L gets used also quite often when i use half automatic modes but i mostly shoot M.
You are profi, K-30 is camera for amateurs like me. I use AE-L very rare

8) well it's an advantage, very noisy ISO 51200 is better then no ISO51200 at all right, if you ever use it is beyond that.
no word BETTER between VERY noisy pictures with no IQ at ISO25600 and 51200. The both are bad.

15) okay i did my best, point me out where they state the buffer K-30?PENTAX RICOH IMAGING
And yes i know basic japense, enough to have a sense what they are talking about and i can read the numbers when they are written out.
BR, Boris
05-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #81

K-5 is better for me since K-5 have more direct control buttons. Those are pretty helpful.
05-31-2012, 10:10 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
6 vs 6.5 fps - 20%? I think it's 8%.

You are profi, K-30 is camera for amateurs like me. I use AE-L very rare

no word BETTER between VERY noisy pictures with no IQ at ISO25600 and 51200. The both are bad.

I said if we assume the same error, that makes the difference or have you tested the FPS of the K30 already?

I wouldn't call myself a pro though... i simply like to batch process my RAW files so the exposure needs to be constant so that it saves me time editing.

Something VS Nothing then something at least win for showing up right?
05-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #83

Photos: Albums
Anyone with a k-5 that can tell me how it performs at high iso as I'm convinced to get a k-5 aslong as it is the same or better than my k-r

05-31-2012, 11:25 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theflyingjocksman Quote
Anyone with a k-5 that can tell me how it performs at high iso as I'm convinced to get a k-5 aslong as it is the same or better than my k-r
I guess that you are asking if the K-5 high iso performance is the same or better than the K-r. Seeing as I own both I would say that it is at least as good and probably better. In all honesty, the beauty of both of these Pentax bodies is their high iso performance. So much so that it is the one variable that you can be the most loose with. In other words, what was a shockingly high iso on film has no bearing with these bodies. You can use TAv mode and let the iso fall where it needs to in a lot of instances. It seems as though that was the way that these bodies were designed. Get the depth of field and stop action that you want. Let the sensor do the rest.
05-31-2012, 02:12 PM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
I guess that you are asking if the K-5 high iso performance is the same or better than the K-r. Seeing as I own both I would say that it is at least as good and probably better. In all honesty, the beauty of both of these Pentax bodies is their high iso performance. So much so that it is the one variable that you can be the most loose with. In other words, what was a shockingly high iso on film has no bearing with these bodies. You can use TAv mode and let the iso fall where it needs to in a lot of instances. It seems as though that was the way that these bodies were designed. Get the depth of field and stop action that you want. Let the sensor do the rest.
Yeh I was wondering if there was a lot of noise at high iso because I do a lot of star photos stair trails etc the k-r is really good on the low amount of noise it produces at the higher end of the ISO scale.. also I've been hearing that k-5s suffer from tilted images now and again how true is this and is it easily fixed
05-31-2012, 02:28 PM   #86
Pentaxian

Shooting with a K20d a K-x and a K-5, as far as I can tell , the 14 bit colour depth makes a huge difference in IQ. We have two shooters in teh family, and the new rule is the K-5 goes out first. If I have it she uses her K-x, if she has it I use my K20D. Until I see the K30 has as good a colour rendition, I'm going with the K-5. After all, everything else being equal, I want the best shot. And if one camera can do something the other can't and it's going to affect every shot then I'm going with that one. If the new auto-focus system is faster than the K-5 system, then I'd consider getting one for wildlife, in hopes the K30 would get me a few shots where the K-5 might get blanked.

I might ad that the K-5 successor is on the same boat. There could be a lot of features they could add, but if they lose that K-5 IQ, there's not going to be any upgrading around this house. IN fact right now for me, a K-5 with the simple addition of the new auto-focus system would be just fine by me. I did get to handle a K30 and the AF lock was impressive... but I couldn't take any images with it to analyze. So even though I've held one in my hands, the jury is still out.
05-31-2012, 03:38 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theflyingjocksman Quote
.. also I've been hearing that k-5s suffer from tilted images now and again how true is this and is it easily fixed
From what I know some K-5's have their electronic level miscalibrated by a few increments. I believe that it is a tool that can be independent of an actual picture taking exercise. It is meant for trying to hold the camera level and/or tripod useage. It might come into play if you have the horizon correction function on, but I am not sure about that. Pentax service may be able to reset the electronic level if need be. No one to my knowledge has found a way to do it on their own. As if you can't tell, I have almost every custom feature turned off on my camera most of the time.
05-31-2012, 04:41 PM   #88

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
From what I know some K-5's have their electronic level miscalibrated by a few increments. I believe that it is a tool that can be independent of an actual picture taking exercise. It is meant for trying to hold the camera level and/or tripod useage. It might come into play if you have the horizon correction function on, but I am not sure about that. Pentax service may be able to reset the electronic level if need be. No one to my knowledge has found a way to do it on their own. As if you can't tell, I have almost every custom feature turned off on my camera most of the time.
Thanks for your help much appreciated
06-01-2012, 02:36 AM - 1 Like   #89
Veteran Member

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the K-5's buttery shutter sound. The K-30 sounds like my K-x... harsh.

I'm waiting (or certainly trying to wait!) on the K-3 specs before I pull the trigger. If it comes out at circa $1,500, it had better be pretty special to make people part with the extra $$ over a K-5 or K-30.
06-01-2012, 04:28 AM   #90
Veteran Member

the d90 was released later than the d300. its image quality was better than d300. but if we asked the d300 owners what they thought about the d90, they certainly would not be willing to pass to it merely because of the image quality.

really depends on choice. if finances is enough, more controls is always better for me. also I don't like to look at an lcd screen to set my controls. not to mention its battery draining.

If I was having the same dilemma btw k-5 and k 30, I would certainly choose the k-5. heck a lot of people still use k20d and they are content with their image quality too. as long as you are using good lenses image quality is not of top importance. i think handling comes foremost.