Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
06-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #91

I ditched the a K-r after using it for a day. The delay between when you actuate the shutter and when the image came up for review was absolutely prehistoric (it actually displayed an hourglass while it processed a JPEG for viewing. Can anyone tell me if the K-5 does this as well.....how about the K-30? To me that is the metric I can use to decide which one to buy. Obviously the K-5 wins on most categories, but if speed of operation is a big decider (and for me it is) I'd like to know a bit more about it. These are some factors that don't show up in bullet point presentations.

06-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lukinosity Quote
I ditched the a K-r after using it for a day. The delay between when you actuate the shutter and when the image came up for review was absolutely prehistoric (it actually displayed an hourglass while it processed a JPEG for viewing. Can anyone tell me if the K-5 does this as well.....how about the K-30? To me that is the metric I can use to decide which one to buy. Obviously the K-5 wins on most categories, but if speed of operation is a big decider (and for me it is) I'd like to know a bit more about it. These are some factors that don't show up in bullet point presentations.
What you are describing can be related to the type of sd card that you are using. What are you using?

Last edited by lammie200; 06-12-2012 at 10:35 PM.
06-12-2012, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #93
Veteran Member

K-5 is slower than K-r as it uses the same processor but has to crunch through bigger files. I turn off image review entirely on the K-5, it's just not worth it. I actually turn off the back screen altogether and pretend I'm using a film camera

The K-30 (and K-01) use a faster processor.
06-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You probably had some lens correction or other JPG processing set. Any of those will delay the write/review. My son's K-r is quick on review if you turn off those things.

06-13-2012, 04:17 AM   #95

I don't recall the stats, but it was some sort of cray fast card. Class 10 ExtremeMax or something or another. It definitely wasn't the card. These others seem to have gotten to the heart of the issue. I wish there were a store near me that carried Pentax so I could check them out. I couldn't believe it when I saw an hourglass pop up where the image should have been. Between that and the cacophony of noises the camera made I thought I was using some sort of prehistoric mechanical digital camera. I love the images that I see from Pentax cameras..... I'll need to keep looking for videos that show the back screen during standard operations. Sounds like the K5 will have the same issues since it's the same vintage as the K-r.
*off to go look for K-01 videos*

Last edited by Lukinosity; 06-13-2012 at 05:16 AM.
06-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #96
Veteran Member

I don't recall the stats, but it was some sort of cray fast card. Class 10 ExtremeMax or something or another. It definitely wasn't the card. These others seem to have gotten to the heart of the issue. I wish there were a store near me that carried Pentax so I could check them out. I couldn't believe it when I saw an hourglass pop up where the image should have been. Between that and the cacophony of noises the camera made I thought I was using some sort of prehistoric mechanical digital camera. I love the images that I see from Pentax cameras..... I'll need to keep looking for videos that show the back screen during standard operations. Sounds like the K5 will have the same issues since it's the same vintage as the K-r.
*off to go look for K-01 videos*
The only time I see a delay in reviewing is when lens correction is on any other time it is up before I can get camera in position to look at it. I was shooting in continuous mode the other day and did not really have to wait after 7 or 8 shots in a row.
06-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #97
Veteran Member

I can confirm that. I turned on lens correction and had to wait almost eight seconds for the image to appear. Turn off lens correction and it's almost instant.

07-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #98

I am new here and I am also struggling for the decision.
I like lightness but I will choose K5 for the quiet shutter sound. Do you test K30 in hand? It is important to me.

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the K-5's buttery shutter sound. The K-30 sounds like my K-x... harsh.

I'm waiting (or certainly trying to wait!) on the K-3 specs before I pull the trigger. If it comes out at circa $1,500, it had better be pretty special to make people part with the extra $$ over a K-5 or K-30.
07-07-2012, 05:41 AM   #99

QuoteOriginally posted by Ferdinand Quote
"I would like to add #19) The K5 makes for an excellent defensive weapon.
lol I am always walking around with a griped k5 and think about how it could really be used as a weapon and then still take pictures after your done.
07-07-2012, 06:12 AM   #100

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
You probably had some lens correction or other JPG processing set. Any of those will delay the write/review. My son's K-r is quick on review if you turn off those things.
Ditto
07-15-2012, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #101

Yeah k30 sounds like a woodpecker, my friend got one, i choose the k5 it is just like a x100, i have problems sometimes if i keep the image preview off i dont really know if i took the shoot if im in noise environments, if i were you id go for the k5, IMO k30 is only better to grip and thats it, it is here to compete with the 650D not the K5.
07-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #102

i chose k-5 because my k-r already sounds loud, so I wanted a quiet one.

Also my k-r is plastic but k-5 is metal simple minded
07-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #103
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I borrowed K-30 for a day. Loved the camera but returned it and just placed an order for K-5.

K-30 pros for me
AF!!
Display
Can take AA batteries

K-5 pros for me:
Silent shutter!!
More buttons
Larger buffer
Slightly faster FPS rate
Ergonomics and weight

If the K-5 appears to have AF issues then I will not blink twice, return it and have it replaced by K-30.
07-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
I borrowed K-30 for a day. Loved the camera but returned it and just placed an order for K-5.

K-30 pros for me
AF!!
Display
Can take AA batteries

K-5 pros for me:
Silent shutter!!
More buttons
Larger buffer
Slightly faster FPS rate
Ergonomics and weight

If the K-5 appears to have AF issues then I will not blink twice, return it and have it replaced by K-30.
I'm tempted to go this route - just get a k-5 and see if I have any issues with the focus...
07-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I'm tempted to go this route - just get a k-5 and see if I have any issues with the focus...
I had a strange issue where focus on Auto 5 chose a higher-contrast point than where it appeared to place the focus indicator in the VF, but I'm fairly sure that's user error. Other than that one issue, I have had Zero problems with my K-5 autofocus.

Yesterday, in very low tungsten-temp light in my house, my K-5 nailed focus on a shirt about 15 feet away, with no real contrasty edges to detect. Compared with my K-x, I couldn't be more thrilled with the K-5's autofocus.