Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #106
Senior Member
junototoro's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 262
K-5 price dropped to $879 like 3 days after I bought it for $909. Feel like banging my head somewhere now!

07-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #107
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 95
Stores like Adorama have 30 days price change protection. So if you have bought from them, they give you store credit for this price change.
07-19-2012, 10:06 PM   #108
Senior Member
junototoro's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 262
QuoteOriginally posted by kamisu Quote
Stores like Adorama have 30 days price change protection. So if you have bought from them, they give you store credit for this price change.
Cool, I bought from B&H and have already enquired. *phew*
07-20-2012, 05:32 AM   #109
Veteran Member
Ryan Trevisol's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 308
Thanks for the heads up, I'm inquiring now. It's only $20, but $20 credit at Adorama is a license to spend much more!

07-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #110
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16
I decided to go with the K-5. C $855.11 from Prodigital 200 vs C $853.05 for the K-30. Maybe if my kids would be toddlers and would want to use video more i would have go the other way, but for stills i think the K-5 superior. I think the replacement of the K-5 might be what i really want, but i can't wait with my K200 anymore. My thinking was i could resale the K-5 with less loss if the K-5 replacement interest me later. I will not buy it when it will come out ; i don't think i would be able to afford it when available. Maybe six months after released when, like the K-5 now, the price comes down i would upgrade. Anyway, can't wait to touch my K-5 ! I am glad to see Pentax come out with the K-30 and i hope with increased sales that Pentax could build a nice line up of 3 to 4 dslr, the fourth being for those FF freaks ! (That i know i can't afford...)
07-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #111
Senior Member
junototoro's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 262
QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Trevisol Quote
Thanks for the heads up, I'm inquiring now. It's only $20, but $20 credit at Adorama is a license to spend much more!
I got a $30 credit card refund from B&H
07-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #112
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 111
QuoteOriginally posted by gabal Quote
I decided to go with the K-5. C $855.11 from Prodigital 200 vs C $853.05 for the K-30. Maybe if my kids would be toddlers and would want to use video more i would have go the other way, but for stills i think the K-5 superior. I think the replacement of the K-5 might be what i really want, but i can't wait with my K200 anymore. My thinking was i could resale the K-5 with less loss if the K-5 replacement interest me later. I will not buy it when it will come out ; i don't think i would be able to afford it when available. Maybe six months after released when, like the K-5 now, the price comes down i would upgrade. Anyway, can't wait to touch my K-5 ! I am glad to see Pentax come out with the K-30 and i hope with increased sales that Pentax could build a nice line up of 3 to 4 dslr, the fourth being for those FF freaks ! (That i know i can't afford...)
If it were equally priced, I'd think the same as you. As I see right now, I'm considering between the K-5 from Prodigital2000, or the K-30 where it seems you can acquire in Canada for $799.99... Choices
07-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #113
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
As a one time K-5 owner, the K-30 is imo the better camera.

07-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #114
Pentaxian
Zafar Iqbal's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,167
QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
If the K-5 appears to have AF issues then I will not blink twice, return it and have it replaced by K-30.
Got it yesterday and unfortunately, this too suffer from focusing issues under certain conditions. K-30 it is then!

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
As a one time K-5 owner, the K-30 is imo the better camera.
I don't agree. I've been doing more and more wedding photography lately, and the silent shutter of K-5, larger buffer, slightly quicker framerate and more dedicated buttons for snappier setting change makes a big difference.
07-26-2012, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #115
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
I don't agree. I've been doing more and more wedding photography lately, and the silent shutter of K-5, larger buffer, slightly quicker framerate and more dedicated buttons for snappier setting change makes a big difference.
Well you're definitely entitled to your opinion but I doubt you've used the K-5 longer than I have going by your posts. I've been one of the earliest to own the K-5, having shot many thousands of exposures with it. The core specs of the K-5 is good but I've found focus accuracy of the K-5 can be off over time. It has happened to me, necessitating a change of the sensor mechanism by Pentax Japan. This is not the "string of pearls" sensor issue which early K-5 units had. My suspicion, (and this I can't verify this) is somehow the SR mechanism goes off spec over time. This is probably why AF adjustment in the body couldn't solve the AF accuracy issues I had with some of my lenses.

Sure I love the specs of the K-5 like the silent shutter, build quality, frame rate, etc. but what good is all of that if AF focus goes off? If the camera misfocuses ever so slightly, all the best lenses you put on it can't deliver pin sharp images. The fact that I've found LV shots were sharper then thru the viewfinder on the K-5 was telling for me. And trust me, I've put in thousands of exposures to know what I'm talking about.

My own brief informal testing of the pre-production K-30 already told me the camera locks focus with less hesitation compared to the K-5 and using a friend's new K-30 confirmed that AF focus was spot on straight out of the box. Now of course I can't speculate whether this will change over time but as for me the AF on the K-30 is spot on, outdoors and indoors. Maybe for a late K-5 adopter like yourself, all is still good and I'm happy you enjoy your camera. As for me, the K-5 is history for me, just like the K-r, K-7, K20, K10, K100D Super, K100D cameras that I once owned.

Last edited by creampuff; 07-26-2012 at 01:09 PM.
07-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #116
Pentaxian
StephenHampshire's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Winchester
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,315
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Well you're definitely entitled to your opinion but I doubt you've used the K-5 longer than I have going by your posts. I've been one of the earliest to own the K-5, having shot many thousands of exposures with it. The core specs of the K-5 is good but I've found focus accuracy of the K-5 can be off over time. It has happened to me, necessitating a change of the sensor mechanism by Pentax Japan. This is not the "string of pearls" sensor issue which early K-5 units had. My suspicion, (and this I can't verify this) is somehow the SR mechanism goes off spec over time. This is probably why AF adjustment in the body couldn't solve the AF accuracy issues I had with some of my lenses.

Sure I love the specs of the K-5 like the silent shutter, build quality, frame rate, etc. but what good is all of that if AF focus goes off? If the camera misfocuses ever so slightly, all the best lenses you put on it can't deliver pin sharp images. The fact that I've found LV shots were sharper then thru the viewfinder on the K-5 was telling for me. And trust me, I've put in thousands of exposures to know what I'm talking about.

My own brief informal testing of the pre-production K-30 already told me the camera locks focus with less hesitation compared to the K-5 and using a friend's new K-30 confirmed that AF focus was spot on straight out of the box. Now of course I can't speculate whether this will change over time but as for me the AF on the K-30 is spot on, outdoors and indoors. Maybe for a late K-5 adopter like yourself, all is still good and I'm happy you enjoy your camera. As for me, the K-5 is history for me, just like the K-r, K-7, K20, K10, K100D Super, K100D cameras that I once owned.
Interesting, I haven't heard anyone talk about a time dependant degredation of AF before. Is this a widespread problem? The K30 certainly would be a backward step for me in terms of buffer size, as I shoot RAW only, and often use closely spaced birst of 3 or 4 shots, filling the RAW buffer quickly.Of course It may be that the K30 will have a firmware upgrade to increse the buffer, just as the K5 did

My K5 has only had focus issues with one lense, the Sigma 30 f1.4, I would hate to think it might become an issue with my other lenses over time. Perhaps I will start a thread in the K5 section
07-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #117
Pentaxian
Zafar Iqbal's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,167
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
The core specs of the K-5 is good but I've found focus accuracy of the K-5 can be off over time.
Well, if you must bring AF issues into it then I agree 100%. I've had my K-5 for a week before sending it in for repairs (twice). Been gone for more than 2 months now because they messed it up even more after the first repair.

Tried about 5 K-5's since then and every single one of them had issues to a degree that was unacceptable.

My opinion was based upon the assumption, that *if* the AF is accurate, then it is a better camera. Many claim they have a K-5 with no problem what so ever. Is it really true? I was hoping so which is why I kept trying different samples - Bought the latest one few days ago but I'll be returning it as well and got the K-30 instead.

K-30 is pretty much rock solid in comparison.
07-27-2012, 05:02 AM   #118
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
Could be we are using the camera under different lighting conditions then you?
07-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #119
Pentaxian
Zafar Iqbal's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,167
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Could be we are using the camera under different lighting conditions then you?
Could be. Latest K-5 suffered mostly under sunset/rise type of lighting. Nothing special about that and in fact, there's lots of tips about going out in such periods of the day to catch some really nice lighting, or in other words, it's such a lighting condition where a camera just should work. This might get too off-topis though but you are welcome to continue in the thread I created.
08-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #120
Pentaxian
Rickster's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SE Idaho - Rocky Mtns
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 515
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
You can with the K5 not the K-01

There are no laptops with HDMI-IN so taht won't work

here is an simple setup for filming.


this what a field monitor looks like.


and here is where it ends...
My laptop has HDMI in (and out) ;-)
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k30, k5, k5 vs, list, pentax k-5, thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K30, K5n, K3 and maybe full-frame at Photokina... frankfanrui Pentax News and Rumors 638 09-06-2012 07:08 AM
Pentax K30 Picture Leak & Discussion: Weather-sealed intro DSLR LFLee Pentax News and Rumors 1054 05-31-2012 01:12 AM
K-r successor: K30 LFLee Pentax News and Rumors 653 05-23-2012 11:12 AM
New K30 skyescape Welcomes and Introductions 1 05-17-2012 12:27 AM
There will be no K30 JCPentax Pentax News and Rumors 64 06-04-2009 06:07 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:08 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top