Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CTR01 Quote
good comprehensive list of advantages, hopefully it has/will help others in the same position as me. thanks.

quick question will a 3rd party IR remote that works with the kx work with either the K5 and/or the K30?

now to sell my kx and tablet for funds to buy the k5...
Pretty sure it will work. The IR remote usually works for all product lines from the same brand

05-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
3rd party remote that works with a pentax will work with any pentax.
05-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 0rangepeel Quote
Pretty sure it will work. The IR remote usually works for all product lines from the same brand
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
3rd party remote that works with a pentax will work with any pentax.
ok thanks for the confirmation. Now, I just wonder if it is the same size or smaller than the pentax f remote so that i can slide it into the battery grip.
05-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #34

If K30 doesn't support individual AF fine adjustment then that alone is a deal breaker for me. I have lots of fast lenses and they all need a different correction on my K-5. I couldn't find any info on this but keep that in mind if you have more than 2 lenses.

05-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicks Quote
If K30 doesn't support individual AF fine adjustment then that alone is a deal breaker for me. I have lots of fast lenses and they all need a different correction on my K-5. I couldn't find any info on this but keep that in mind if you have more than 2 lenses.
Yes, it does support multiple lenses AF adjustment:
Attached Images

05-23-2012, 02:34 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

AA versus Li-ION

ok thanks for the confirmation. Now, I just wonder if it is the same size or smaller than the pentax f remote so that i can slide it into the battery grip.
KX can take up to 900 shots, K5 with AA in a Grip ( there is no room in there for F IR remote, that was possible with K20, you can store spare SD card while you use Li-ION , with AA no spare room) can take 900, with LI-ION 350, that will be similar with K30 ~800 with AA and 350 with Lo-ION
05-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
KX can take up to 900 shots, K5 with AA in a Grip ( there is no room in there for F IR remote, that was possible with K20, you can store spare SD card while you use Li-ION , with AA no spare room) can take 900, with LI-ION 350, that will be similar with K30 ~800 with AA and 350 with Lo-ION
Sorry but that reply/quote is very unclear. I read that if you use the K5 battery grip with the lithium ion battery in the grip there is a space to slide the pentax f remote inside of it. however, i know there is no room for the remote when using the aa option in the k5 grip.

05-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I read that if you use the K5 battery grip with the lithium ion battery in the grip there is a space to slide the pentax f remote inside of it. however, i know there is no room for the remote when using the aa option in the k5 grip.
This is incorrect. With the K-7/K-5 model grips, there is only room for a spare sd card, not the remote. The remote used to fit with the K-10d K-20d grips, but not with the latest one, model D-BG4.
05-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #39

I was looking at the K5, but spotting that there would be a new DSLR released soon made me wait.

The advantages I see in terms of use so far on the K30 are:

- No more dial mode lock button! (Quicker changing to video, and quicker switching between P,A,S and M (I quite often switch between P and M to be honest).
- The picture with the screen 'in action' looks better to me than the K5 - I was kind of deterred by all the colourful crazyness going on.

Actually, those two points above are what might put me off from a K5 altogether, apart from that I really loved it when I tried it in the camera store. However, I don't like the K30's looks at all, and for roughly 100 euros more I'd rather have a body than leaves dents on the pavement if it falls out of your hands (not that I intend to have that happen, but you know what I mean).

I've yet to make a conclusion on if I am indeed to buy the K5, but whereas I've seen many K5 pro's over the K30, where is the list of the points where the K30 will (probably) outshine the K5?
05-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #40

Original Poster
This is incorrect. With the K-7/K-5 model grips, there is only room for a spare sd card, not the remote. The remote used to fit with the K-10d K-20d grips, but not with the latest one, model D-BG4.
interesting, ok thanks. hmm who knows what i was reading then...
05-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #41
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I hope you don't mind me updating this list a little

1) faster FPS burst
2) metal body
3) top lcd
4) a few more dedicated buttons (eg separate AF and AE-L, AF number of points selection switch)
5) faster shutter speed 1/8000
6) wider EV compensation
7) provision for battery grip
8) 14 bit RAW
9) 80 - 51200 ISO
10) expanded bracketing choices
11) expanded user modes (5 vs 2)
12) wired remote port
12) much longer battery life (~450 shots vs 1,000+)
13) HDMI out
14) microphone jack
15) DOF on the on/off switch
16) much deeper RAW buffer
Doesn't the K-5 have a wired remote port?
05-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Yes , the K-5 have a wired remote port
05-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Origineelreclamebord Quote
I've yet to make a conclusion on if I am indeed to buy the K5, but whereas I've seen many K5 pro's over the K30, where is the list of the points where the K30 will (probably) outshine the K5?
AutoFocus technology
Focus Peaking
Video format?
Weight
Colors
05-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #44

Original Poster
AutoFocus technology
Focus Peaking
Video format?
Weight
Colors
video format, weight and colors are double edge swords...

if you dont do much video then just having 1080p recording is fine, regardless of format (this applies to me)

weight can be good to make it feel solid and helps balance out a heavy/long lens (i like this)

color is cool to some degree but after having a whte kx with white kit lens, its annoying that all other lenses are black (least the one I use)
05-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #45

AutoFocus technology
Focus Peaking
Video format?
Weight
If that's it, then K5 vs. K30 is a no-brainer for me when just looking at specs. The Focus peaking may be useful, but there are more and more features nowadays that take away from the actual skill of photographing. A problem for (relatively) new/young photographers like me - it is why I like film cameras so much - everything you do there is either careful consideration, pure luck, or a failed negative! The autofocus is handy only when doing action photography, and even then I'll still try to adjust by hand. I take pride in doing things manually, I'd rather have one decent manual shot than 10 good ones where software has taken over from you to make the picture nice.

You might ask why I'd want a high spec DSLR then anyway... For me, one of the big attractions to the K5 was the quality, heavy duty feel to it, the protective sealing (you'd almost say waterproofing from what I've read and heard), and there are some things, like the superior noise reduction compared to cheaper (and older) cameras, that don't take a lot away from skill using a camera (Ok, I have to admit a sharp picture with a longer exposure and lower ISO indeed shows of more skill, but there are limits to what technological advances I don't want)