Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
05-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agreed, all these pros and cons on either side need to have your own specific weighting value.

05-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #47
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Updated list of K-5 advantages vs. K-30
1) faster FPS burst
2) metal body
3) top lcd
4) a few more dedicated buttons (eg separate AF and AE-L, AF number of points selection switch)
5) faster shutter speed 1/8000
6) wider EV compensation
7) provision for battery grip
8) 14 bit RAW
9) 80 - 51200 ISO
10) expanded bracketing choices
11) expanded user modes (5 vs 2)
12) much longer battery life (~450 shots vs 1,000+)
13) HDMI out
14) microphone jack
15) DOF on the on/off switch
16) much deeper RAW buffer
17) More effective self sensor cleaning (K30 just shakes sensor, K-5 includes some ultra sonic magic that is very effective). Credit to Class A for noticing this. As someone with a K-x and K-5 I can attest to the excellent sensor self cleaning of the K-5 vs the K-x.
18) If the K30 sensor performs as the K-01 (seems likely, both 12 bit RAW and ISO100 floor) then the K-5 has slightly better IQ at all ISO's, see DXO graphs
I would like to add #19) The K5 makes for an excellent defensive weapon. You could really knock someone out with the K5...not so sure you could put someone in the hospital with a K30. Something to keep in the back of your mind on your next ghettography journey.
05-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Can someone help me understand why HDMI out is a big necessity for video recording?

It's interesting as we all have different rankings for what is most important. I'll be waiting to see how improved the AF is before making a decision on which one to get. Considering I'm currently using a K20D, either one would seem to be an upgrade. Video will be really nice to have, I want it to be able to record my app demo videos on my iDevices.
05-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #49
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
Can someone help me understand why HDMI out is a big necessity for video recording?

It's interesting as we all have different rankings for what is most important. I'll be waiting to see how improved the AF is before making a decision on which one to get. Considering I'm currently using a K20D, either one would seem to be an upgrade. Video will be really nice to have, I want it to be able to record my app demo videos on my iDevices.
From reading the K5 manual you have a choice of either using Composite Video out or HDMI out. If I understand this correctly composite video output is only 480i. So If your shooting HD video in 720P or 1080P you will have to use the HDMI output to get the proper display on your monitor.

There is also a USB port so you can transfer your files directly to your computer.

Last edited by SuperK5; 05-23-2012 at 09:42 PM.
05-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #50
Veteran Member

For an external monitor or an EVF, if you've one of those it makes using the camera for video a bit more pleasant.
05-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #51
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
"I would like to add #19) The K5 makes for an excellent defensive weapon. You could really knock someone out with the K5...not so sure you could put someone in the hospital with a K30. Something to keep in the back of your mind on your next ghettography journey."

SuperK5, I am falling off my chair laughing...))
05-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CTR01 Quote
video format, weight and colors are double edge swords...

if you dont do much video then just having 1080p recording is fine, regardless of format (this applies to me)

weight can be good to make it feel solid and helps balance out a heavy/long lens (i like this)

color is cool to some degree but after having a whte kx with white kit lens, its annoying that all other lenses are black (least the one I use)
Having options for color doesn't make it a double edged sword. Your weight is the only true double edged sword and I agree with that.

Video format is infact a double edged sword for different reasons. Motion-JPEG on the K-5 is easier for more extreme editing. But it is humungous and can actually be lower quality. H.264 is much smaller which is better for countless reasons, like sharing and SD card usage.

05-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #53
Veteran Member

I'm in the same boat about upgrading from a K-X to either the K30 or K5. I'm leaning towards waiting to see if the K5 prices drop some more then I'll jump on one.
05-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #54

Original Poster
I think at this point Im still sticking with the k5 since prices are good now. But we will see what people say regarding the k30 but unlikely anything that could sway me...
05-24-2012, 04:20 AM   #55
Veteran Member

One thing people to mention, K-5 use the ultrasonic dust cleaning , the K-30 use a non ultrasonic as per spec
05-24-2012, 04:53 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperK5 Quote
From reading the K5 manual you have a choice of either using Composite Video out or HDMI out. If I understand this correctly composite video output is only 480i. So If your shooting HD video in 720P or 1080P you will have to use the HDMI output to get the proper display on your monitor.

There is also a USB port so you can transfer your files directly to your computer.
Right. I feel like it's just as easy to plug in the USB or even just the SD card for viewing them later...

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
For an external monitor or an EVF, if you've one of those it makes using the camera for video a bit more pleasant.
Now this makes sense... I could see that being more helpful than LV is directly on the camera. Question is again, wouldn't you be able to plug the K-30 in using USB and using Pentax's software?
05-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Now this makes sense... I could see that being more helpful than LV is directly on the camera. Question is again, wouldn't you be able to plug the K-30 in using USB and using Pentax's software?
Nope they use HMDI for their connection, at least most of them do.

And how do you want to fit an computer onto the camera???
05-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #58

Original Poster
Nope they use HMDI for their connection, at least most of them do.

And how do you want to fit an computer onto the camera???
I think by playback on an external monitro/tv they mean after the recording you go home and then hook up the camera to review images/videos. Or you could bring a laptop or tablet(if compatible).
05-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Who has it about playback?
I'm talking about real time video send to the monitor or EVF like liveview.
05-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #60

Original Poster
Who has it about playback?
I'm talking about real time video send to the monitor or EVF like liveview.
I dont think you can and if you could then it wouldnt really be practical to carry a laptop/external screen hooked up to use as an evf