Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #1

K5 / DA L 55-300 / Tulips (over-saturated?)

Greetings!

I find the colors in these photos to be very over-saturated and unnatural. I'm curious what you think. These are just raw pics converted to jpeg. No processing at all other than minor straightening.

Important to mention the colors in person were definitely vibrant and it was a very bright and sunny day.

The color space is sRGB. I don't know if that matters when shooting RAW. Anyway, any feedback or suggestions on the colors? Thanks a bunch,

05-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

What software did you use to convert the RAW? Which defaults?

If you used Adobe Camera Raw, it looks like you punched up Vibrance. Did you select the default or use one of the camera modes (Landscape, Bright, etc)?

I find that almost no Raw files can ever be successfully converted to jpeg without at least some color correction, even if just the defaults.
05-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
What software did you use to convert the RAW? Which defaults?

If you used Adobe Camera Raw, it looks like you punched up Vibrance. Did you select the default or use one of the camera modes (Landscape, Bright, etc)?

I find that almost no Raw files can ever be successfully converted to jpeg without at least some color correction, even if just the defaults.
I used Lightroom 3.4 to convert the file. The camera was set in Portrait mode. No adjustments to the saturation, hue, etc.

I'll play around in LR to adjust for the colors. I just wanted to upload them first without any adjustments to see if others also find the colors to be over-saturated. Not sure if it's just my laptop monitor, which I realize is not ideal for photo-processing.
05-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I certainly wouldn't recommend Portrait mode for a landscape shot like this.

The reason I thought "Vibrance" is that the sky and background do not seem to be over-saturated, just the flowers. You might try converting again with another preset. I don't use LR so can't make a specific suggestion. For ACR, I use a custom setting for my K5 but for defaults I like either "Bright" or "Landscape" to start and then tweek as needed. The "Vibrant" setting tends to over-boost the reds like what you are seeing here.

I know you are trying to avoid adjustments and corrections but this is a pretty simple fix with a couple of sliders. Just bring down Vibrance or use the individual color channels in Saturation to dial back the reds and greens a bit.

05-25-2012, 11:56 PM   #5
Forum Member

From my experience with GX20 and my recently K5 there is over saturation in red channel , so you must reduce saturation on red, also you can play with luminance value
05-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I certainly wouldn't recommend Portrait mode for a landscape shot like this
When shooting in RAW it actually doesn't matter... you get the RAW data from the sensor so these settings shouldn't effect that.

And for the OP, RAW doesn't have a colour space.
05-26-2012, 04:28 AM   #7
Banned

Photos: Albums
Would it be possible for the original poster of this thread (Antifreez) to repost the pics; perhaps even more of them - with the exif data.

BTW minus the minor color issues;they are a good start to some photographs. I also could not help but notice the longer shadows in the posted pics. Could the color temp of items such as sky, enviromental, and also even time of day be effecting it as well?

05-26-2012, 04:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In the "Develop" settings, at the bottom, switch the camera profile from "Adobe standard" to "Embedded".
05-26-2012, 05:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Antifreez Quote
I used Lightroom 3.4 to convert the file. The camera was set in Portrait mode. No adjustments to the saturation, hue, etc.

I'll play around in LR to adjust for the colors. I just wanted to upload them first without any adjustments to see if others also find the colors to be over-saturated. Not sure if it's just my laptop monitor, which I realize is not ideal for photo-processing.
Have you moved the clarity slider?
05-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reds seem to get over saturated. Pull down a lil saturation on red slider.
05-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #11

Original Poster
I certainly wouldn't recommend Portrait mode for a landscape shot like this.

The reason I thought "Vibrance" is that the sky and background do not seem to be over-saturated, just the flowers. You might try converting again with another preset. I don't use LR so can't make a specific suggestion. For ACR, I use a custom setting for my K5 but for defaults I like either "Bright" or "Landscape" to start and then tweek as needed. The "Vibrant" setting tends to over-boost the reds like what you are seeing here.

I know you are trying to avoid adjustments and corrections but this is a pretty simple fix with a couple of sliders. Just bring down Vibrance or use the individual color channels in Saturation to dial back the reds and greens a bit.
I think I selected Portrait mode a long time ago and forgot to change it back. Since I shoot in RAW, I didn't think it mattered. I'm not trying to avoid making adjustments. I just wanted to post the originals without processing to see if you all also saw the reds looking over-saturated. Not sure if it's just the laptop screen I'm using.

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Would it be possible for the original poster of this thread (Antifreez) to repost the pics; perhaps even more of them - with the exif data.

BTW minus the minor color issues;they are a good start to some photographs. I also could not help but notice the longer shadows in the posted pics. Could the color temp of items such as sky, enviromental, and also even time of day be effecting it as well?
I actually don't know how else to post pics other than linking them from my flickr page. Yeah the colors were definitely bright that day in person because it was a bright, clear day, but the photos seem more over-saturated.

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
In the "Develop" settings, at the bottom, switch the camera profile from "Adobe standard" to "Embedded".
I'm looking but can't find what you're referring to. Is it under Camera Calibration in the "Develop" module?

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Have you moved the clarity slider?
QuoteOriginally posted by mrjamesabels Quote
Reds seem to get over saturated. Pull down a lil saturation on red slider.
I've messed around in processing with the saturation and clarity sliders, among others. I just wanted to post the pics "as is" because I'm curious if this is a K5 issue (requiring a lot of post-processing for bright reds).
05-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, camera calibration, sorry. Anyway, using the embedded color profile gives a rather significant change in the way greens, reds, yellows and blues are rendered, much closer to the in-camera JPEG. Took me a while to figure that out. You should try it (I think it only works for DNG files, but I assume that's the format you're using).
05-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Although I normally use the custom PSKiss camera calibration profiles, I'd agree with the above. Reset the calibration from "Adobe Standard" to "Embedded" and see if that makes the difference you are looking for.

I don't use LR to render from RAW but can see a definite difference in ACR, which is virtually the same as Lightroom under the hood.
05-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
When shooting in RAW it actually doesn't matter... you get the RAW data from the sensor so these settings shouldn't effect that.

And for the OP, RAW doesn't have a colour space.
Isn't the sensor composed of red, green, and blue sensors? If that is the case, then wouldn't the color space of PEF (and other raw formats) be RGB?
05-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
Isn't the sensor composed of red, green, and blue sensors? If that is the case, then wouldn't the color space of PEF (and other raw formats) be RGB?
yes and no, the reason for this is what kind of red, what kind of blue and what kind of green do you mean, there are so many shades.

RAW uses his own unique rgb values and is as such not restricted to one particular defined pallet, such as sRGB, aRGB, prophotoRGB or CMYK, who says a sensor need to use only red green and blue?
Whit Astro photography often special filters are used to show different elements in the photo for example, I know it's not standard photography but it shows you can use more.