Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,971
CIF (catch-in-focus) and going back AF ...

I have enabled the CIF option with my K5 and I find it very useful, espeially with my DA*300/4 lens.

Now, I am wondering: when I want to go back to AF mode on the lens (i.e.: I switch the little lens AF/MF silder from MF to AF) ... do I have to bother going back and change the CIF option as well?
Does it matter?

This is probably a "beginner's question ... but I had to ask anyway.

Thanks!

JP

05-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
I have a K20D and no AF lenses with AF/MF switches but I do no menu-diving to change AF-MF modes, I just flick the AF switch. I use the positions like this:

* AF= AF.S for CIF
* AF= AF.C for AF
* AF= MF for unaided MF

To use CIF with an AF lens, I push the K20D's lens-lock button and the shutter at the same time. Pushing the lens-lock button retracts the AF screwdrive so the camera can't tell an AF lens is mounted, thus allowing CIF. From this, I'll wager that flipping the on-lens AF/MF switch will be enough to convince the camera that is has an MF lens and thus employ CIF.

Hope this helps! (Or at least makes sense...)
05-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,971
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I have a K20D and no AF lenses with AF/MF switches but I do no menu-diving to change AF-MF modes, I just flick the AF switch. I use the positions like this:

* AF= AF.S for CIF
* AF= AF.C for AF
* AF= MF for unaided MF

To use CIF with an AF lens, I push the K20D's lens-lock button and the shutter at the same time. Pushing the lens-lock button retracts the AF screwdrive so the camera can't tell an AF lens is mounted, thus allowing CIF. From this, I'll wager that flipping the on-lens AF/MF switch will be enough to convince the camera that is has an MF lens and thus employ CIF.

Hope this helps! (Or at least makes sense...)
That is one neat trick that I didn't know !

I suppose what you say is true: flipping that switch to MF would simply "make" the lens manual.
So, there is no need to worry about getting back into the menu and opt out the CIF?

JP
05-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I suppose what you say is true: flipping that switch to MF would simply "make" the lens manual.
So, there is no need to worry about getting back into the menu and opt out the CIF?
No, leave CIF enabled. Just flip switches for the mode you want.

05-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,971
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
No, leave CIF enabled. Just flip switches for the mode you want.
OK, thanks for the tip(s).

Apppreciated!

JP
05-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,376
Agreed ...

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
That is one neat trick that I didn't know ! ...JP
Bonjour,

Interesting tip ... thanks.

J Frog
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, camera, cif, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, lens, option, pentax k-5
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
catch in focus jennverr Pentax DSLR Discussion 20 04-07-2012 09:08 AM
CIF (catch in focus) unattended and remote - what are your set up's? jpzk Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 02-14-2012 09:37 AM
Help! The Bats are Back! Catch In Focus seachunk2 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 9 07-08-2011 03:21 PM
catch focus in K-r sany Pentax K-r 14 06-12-2011 06:15 PM
Catch in Focus mand Pentax DSLR Discussion 18 02-25-2011 04:38 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:13 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top