Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #1

K5? Lens - 360 pano - wide angle

New to the forum. After lots of of web research, K5 looks like a lot of bang for the buck. Interested in HDR (K5 AEB option looks great) and panos - interior and landscape. Shot Spot F for film, and want to like Pentax, but finding it hard to figure out.

Appears some Pentax lenses and 3rd party lenses don't work, or not recommeded, on K5. How do I figure that out?

Appreciate recommendations of lens for :
360 pano -
FE - Samyang, Sigma, other
Other
regular pano

wide angle

Nikon and Canon both have compromises in my price range - more expensive, poor AEB, more lens options, and ultimately a lot easier to figure out ... safer?

I WANT TO BELIEVE

Thanks for your help.

05-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good Afternoon and Welcome to the Forum,

The K5 is a wonderful camera. I have one and upgraded from an older K20. I do a lot of panoramas, and HDR. Both are very easy with the K5. To your questions:
  • Appears some Pentax lenses and 3rd party lenses don't work, or not recommeded, on K5. How do I figure that out? - All Pentax lenses (K, M, A, F, FA, DA, DAL) work on the K5 just fine. All the M42 screw mount lenses work just fine on the K5 with the M42 to K mount adapter. All third party lenses from Sigma, Tameron, Zeiss, Samyang, etc. work just fine, given that they use the K mount. If its a K mount lens, it will work. If its a M42 lens it will work. I do not know of any K mount lenses not recommended on the K5 or any other Pentax body. From what I understand its Nikon and Canon who have modified their mounts over time and not offered any backwards comparability, across all of their bodies. The K5 supports manual lenses, screw drive auto focus lenses, and the motor drive SDM auto focus lenses.
  • Nikon and Canon both have compromises in my price range - more expensive, poor AEB, more lens options, and ultimately a lot easier to figure out ... safer? - Pentax has in body stabilization while Nikon and Canon have lens stabilization systems. As such, both Canon and Nikon have larger lenses selection - with stabilization and with out stabilization. If you just count their stabilized lenses, the number of lenses are roughly equal. Now both Canon and Nikon do offer specialty lenses, tilt/shift lenses, a greater range of macro lenses and tele-converters, and a larger and longer selection of telephoto lenses. Pentax currently just goes out to 300mm. However, their older lenses do offer longer focal lengths.
  • FishEye - Pentax has the 10-17 FE lens which is wonderful (I have been using one for the last 5 years) - Tokina offers the same lens in the Canon and Nikon mounts. Samyang has a prime FE that is highly regarded.
  • Panos - You can do FishEye panos and/or regular panos with normal or rectilinear lenses. Pentax, Tamron and Sigma offer 12-24 and Tamron and Sigma offer the 10-20 and 10-24 lenses. Sigma also offers the 8-16, Pentax offers the 15mm and 14mm. There is an older Tokina 17mm available too. Its a matter of how wide you want and what type of projection (FE or rectilinear) you desire.
In terms of recommendations for lenses - in particular wide angle lenses, it all comes down to how wide do you want to go, and how much distortion do you want. All wide angle lenses, in order to pull in the scene around the edges, have distortion. FishEye lenses just leave it and pull in more scene. Rectilinear or normal lenses, attempt to correct it to the best of their abilities, however some is always there.

I have the DA 10-17FE, DA 12-24, DA 16-45, CZ 25 & 28 along with the FA 31 Ltd. to shoot "wide angle". The 10-17 and 12-24 complement each other in terms of Angle of View - the 10-17 covers 180 to 100 degrees and the 12-24 covers 99 to 60 degrees wide.

Last edited by interested_observer; 05-28-2012 at 05:05 PM.
05-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gene3627 Quote
New to the forum. After lots of of web research, K5 looks like a lot of bang for the buck. Interested in HDR (K5 AEB option looks great) and panos - interior and landscape.
Wait, did someone call for... Panoguy??!
(ta da da taaa!)

Interior HDR panos:
http://www.mab3d.com/QTVR/MaRS_atrium.html

Exterior (landscape) HDR panos:
http://www.mab3d.com/QTVR/algonquin.html

All thanks to 3 amazing things:
  1. Pentax K20D and K-5 cameras
  2. Pentax 10-17mm fisheye
  3. Nodal Ninja panohead
Okay, #4 is my 12 years of experience doing HDR panos (yes, I was doing HDR 360's in Y2K, with a Canon).

Just stop looking at Nikon or Canon if you want to do both HDR and panos - Pentax is where you want to be, and the K-5 is a great camera (and a bargain these days) for HDR.
The 5-shot AEB, +-2ev (with the huge dynamic range of the K-5 sensor) is amazing and still untouchable in terms of AEB spread from Canikon until you spend $3k on a body!

The Pentax-designed 10-17mm fisheye is a great lens for zooming from ultra-wideangle to full-frame 180 fisheye, but the 15mm Limited rocks the house as well.

As far as which camera/brand is "easier to figure out," you only need to ask the questions around here and you'll get all the answers you could want (and some are even correct answers!). To get you started, here are 3 invaluable things the Pentax K-5 can do for HDR (and other brands might be able to as well): set the AEbracketing exposure order (-0+, +0-, 0-+) to maximize your shooting speed; trigger 2,3, or 5-shot AEB with a single shutter press; be set to only vary the shutter speed during AEB (which is critical for good HDRs). Oh yeah, and on the K-5 you can set these AEB settings into a custom "User" mode on your big dial, and just turn the knob for 5-shot HDRs, then go back to Av or Tv or Program mode for "regular" photography.

Welcome, gene3627! We are here to help.

Last edited by panoguy; 05-29-2012 at 04:07 AM.
05-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Appears some Pentax lenses and 3rd party lenses don't work, or not recommeded, on K5. How do I figure that out?
Gene,

Part of the problem is that unlike other manufacturers who abandoned their legacy glass, Pentax has a huge catalog of legacy glass still floating around that DOES work with the k-5, although sometimes there are a few issues. If you want the full explanation just ask, but I suspect you just want to take pictures. If so, then all you need to know is that any current Pentax or third party k-mount lens will work just fine on the k-5. If you want to buy used stuff off of ebay then you should ask first and someone here will be glad to tell you how well it works.

But bottom line, as already noted, any Pentax lens made since 1957 will work on a k-5 within the limits of the lens itself.

05-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
New to the forum. After lots of of web research, K5 looks like a lot of bang for the buck. Interested in HDR (K5 AEB option looks great) and panos - interior and landscape. Shot Spot F for film, and want to like Pentax, but finding it hard to figure out.

Appreciate recommendations of lens for :
360 pano -
FE - Samyang, Sigma, other
Other
regular pano

wide angle

Nikon and Canon both have compromises in my price range - more expensive, poor AEB, more lens options, and ultimately a lot easier to figure out ... safer?

I WANT TO BELIEVE

Thanks for your help.

The good news is that there really is nothing to figure out.
All Pentax K-mount lenses work on their DSLRs and all their older M42 mounts work as well with a M42>K-mount adapter you can get off cheaply on ebay.

Far better than Canon who abandoned their legacy lenses which won't fit on the current EOS mount.
Far better than Nikon with their AF-D, AF-S compatibility mess between cheaper and more expensive camera bodies.
05-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

All PK (bayonet) and M42 (screwmount) lenses will fit on a K5. BUT... there are possible issues.

* Some very few Vivitar and other bayonet lenses have an aperture-link shield that is too large for modern dSLRs, so they won't mount. Some very few Ricoh and other bayonet lenses have a "Ricoh pin", that can get caught in the body's AF drive slot and jam the lens on the body. Both of these are easily detected and removed; no great tech skills are needed.

* Some few Fujica and Meyer|Pentacon M42 screwmount lenses are "auto-only" and will only shoot on an SLR with their aperture wide-open. To avoid this, a special M42-PK adapter can be used, or the aperture pins can be jammed or glued down. And some few Mamiya-Sekor M42 screwmount lenses have a pin that interferes with the camera. This is also easily removed.

All these issues are well-documented here on the Forums. When in doubt, ask questions. Have fun!
05-30-2012, 12:42 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you!

Thanks to everyone. Great stuff. Sold me on the K5. Now trying to decide on lens - FE or Regular. Can't afford to make a mistake. FE still seems a little too gimmicky.
05-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Now trying to decide on lens - FE or Regular. Can't afford to make a mistake. FE still seems a little too gimmicky.
FE is indeed a gimmick. The DA10-17 FE zoom is the lens that drove me to Pentax, so it's a gimmick I really really wanted. Now I don't use it nearly as much as the Tamron 10-24 UWA, but it's still always in my carry-bag (along with the DA18-250) because sometimes, nothing else will do. Depends on how tight a space you get into, eh? And how much straight edges matter. At the long end, DA10-17 @17mm isn't very fishy, although I prefer the Zenitar 16/2.8 FE there because of the speed difference. Depends on how much coverage is needed. The DA10-17 covers about 100-180 degrees. A 10-whatever UWA covers 60 or 70 to about 110 degrees. Wider vistas either need the fisheye or stitched panos.

05-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photography is an exercise in compromises. Its always one set of trade offs against another set. My fisheye is a specialty lens, and I have taken some bad images with it. To restate it better, I have taken some images that were not well suited to its character, so they did not come out as expected. I have also taken some images that are my absolute all time favorites. Here is a set of images from the FE. Properly applied, you can get as much or as little of the fisheye effect as you desire, even at 10mm. It also does take some practice, and malice of forethought.I will say that a rectilinear (normal) lens does get more use, however there are shots where only something as wide as the FE will work.

What all of this boils down to is that, you are really the only one that is capable of making the decision as to what is most appropriate to your shooting style, intent and overall needs. With that said, as I tell my sons - you can only spend your money once.

04-01-2015, 06:00 PM   #10

hi guys, (panoguy)
should i set my k5 to shutter priority for 5 shot AEB? i'm going to be doing indoor panos.

mucho gracias in advance.

mach1 (HDRdude)