Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GnipGnop Quote
If you're serious about your art, you shoot RAW plain and simple. JPEGS are only for snap shots in my opinion.
What he said

05-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
So for just basic, intuitive RAW processing Lightroom seems to bee the generally preferred choice. ...

Does anyone have another choice I should evaluate before pulling that trigger and spending the time learning Lightroom?
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
What's the concensus to the following questions?

1)Which is better?:

Raw, Raw+ or Raw+JPEG

2)What's the BEST PP program?
In the digital processing sub-forum you will get the other 57 opinions of what software to use: Elements, Gimp, Faststone, Lightroom, Photoshop, etc. Elements 9 here :-)

I can't see the point of RAW+jpg unless you have to share rough images before processing.
05-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was thinking the other day... if I shoot RAW +, I could load the jpgs onto my little Android tablet for a better evaluation that little screen on the back of my camera gives me, when I'm out in the wilds, but then I need a way to recharge the battery for my tablet... a world of new problems no doubt. There must be some reason for it. How about playing "beat the jpeg" Load them both and then see if you can do better than the jpg with your PP. It could be like a TV game show.
05-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #34

I don't understand why you wouldn't shoot raw all the time. Quite clearly the positives outweigh the negatives, of which I can only think of extra space? And how expensive is storage?

07-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #35
Forum Member

Can someone share their techniques on extracting DR, particularly the OP?

I was oven obsessing over this advantage on cameras but never thought how I would edit it.

I've got an image thats a bit dim that I think is a good candidate. Boosting the exposure in ACR makes a decent image but blows out the highlights. Did you just up the exposure and brightness and boosted the recovery?
07-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #36
Inactive Account

No JPG has ever sullied my K-5's memory. Video either, for that matter.
07-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #37

With the K5, it's best to expose where you see just a bit of clipping in the highlights. There is more information that is cleanly pulled out in the highs through darkening or increasing blacks than brightening the shadows (which usually results in noise).
07-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asudef Quote
Can someone share their techniques on extracting DR, particularly the OP?

I was oven obsessing over this advantage on cameras but never thought how I would edit it.

I've got an image thats a bit dim that I think is a good candidate. Boosting the exposure in ACR makes a decent image but blows out the highlights. Did you just up the exposure and brightness and boosted the recovery?
Like the poster above me said, expose for the brightest part of the image. Apply negative EV if you have to. Then play around with options in Adobe camera RAW. Turn down highlights, turn up shadows. You should end up with a good mix.

07-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NewportPreacher Quote
Another, related, issue: When shooting RAW, I never worry about white balance since it can be fixed in "post."
Was going to mention that too; glad you already did. Keeping the camera in auto WB is just so easy I've never bothered with anything else. The K-5 does a good job of getting the WB right most the time anyway. On a few occasions I've accidentally put the camera in something other than auto WB and gotten odd results on a few shots before I realized what had happened but it's never mattered because I just change the WB when I process the pic in Lightroom.

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
I used to do RAW+ but I STILL ended up in PP for the same amount of time just trying to delete the JPEG images
Same here. It was taking up way more storage than I wanted to use too.

I don't understand the point of the RAW button that lets you switch to RAW for certain shots. It's a bogus feature these days with the size of SD cards and affordability of external hard drives. Like I'm always going to know when I might screw up the exposure and decide to play it safe by pressing the RAW button for that one shot.

With any DSLR, I firmly believe RAW is the only way to go. Jpeg can be alright in addition but anytime I want a jpeg to look like it would've out of camera I just use the SilkyPix PDCU for that. I believe most enthusiast cameras that have a RAW option provide some kind of software support that allows converting the RAW files to jpegs that will emulate what you could've gotten directly from the camera. If they don't, then they should.

QuoteOriginally posted by StDevious Quote
Shooting RAW for most important stuff from here on out.
Just shoot RAW all the time and put your mind at ease and get the best quality out of all your images. It's my believe that if anyone's gone so far as to invest in a DSLR they ought to be shooting RAW. I won't knock anyone that doesn't though, I'll just try to persuade them to do otherwise. It looks like you've persuaded yourself, that's good.
07-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I only shoot RAW with the K5. That is where it shines!
07-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote

With any DSLR, I firmly believe RAW is the only way to go. Jpeg can be alright in addition but anytime I want a jpeg to look like it would've out of camera I just use the SilkyPix PDCU for that. I believe most enthusiast cameras that have a RAW option provide some kind of software support that allows converting the RAW files to jpegs that will emulate what you could've gotten directly from the camera. If they don't, then they should.

Just shoot RAW all the time and put your mind at ease and get the best quality out of all your images. It's my believe that if anyone's gone so far as to invest in a DSLR they ought to be shooting RAW. I won't knock anyone that doesn't though, I'll just try to persuade them to do otherwise. It looks like you've persuaded yourself, that's good.
There is a useful little program IJFR- Instant JPEG From RAW- free too- which will batch process RAW files in an instant, and is useful for a run through to select which RAW's to process.
Instant JPEG from Raw
07-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote

I don't understand the point of the RAW button that lets you switch to RAW for certain shots. It's a bogus feature these days with the size of SD cards and affordability of external hard drives. Like I'm always going to know when I might screw up the exposure and decide to play it safe by pressing the RAW button for that one shot.
Tom

To put the RAW button to good use I reprogramed it as another optional function button.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/119349-k5-programmable-raw-fx-...using-yet.html

cheers

Neil
07-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Tom To put the RAW button to good use I reprogramed it as another optional function button.
Thanks for the tip. As it is, I tend to keep mine set to the Electronic Level. Otherwise I essentially deactivate it by having every file format switch to RAW and set it to deactivate after one shot, that way I don't have to worry about accidentally toggling it into JPEG only, which would be a very unpleasant surprise. What I wish it could be programmed to do is activate Catch In Focus. That would be useful. I find the other options for it can be too much of an interruption to my shooting if I accidentally hit the button, which is pretty easy to do.
07-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
There is a useful little program IJFR- Instant JPEG From RAW- free too- which will batch process RAW files in an instant, and is useful for a run through to select which RAW's to process. Instant JPEG from Raw
Cool, thanks. If I ever need something like that I will keep it mind.
07-17-2012, 04:53 AM   #45

The reason I set RAW+ is because of the viewer I use to look through my shots. I use Windows (XP) to manage all my photos and process them in either PSE8 or CS5. Downloading them in windows, you can't see the RAW thumbnail, just the jpeg. When you select a file the Picasa viewer opens and you see the RAW and jpeg full screen and can zoom to look at details. Is there a better viewer that shows the RAW thumbnail?