Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-17-2012, 06:18 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Snydly Quote
The reason I set RAW+ is because of the viewer I use to look through my shots. I use Windows (XP) to manage all my photos and process them in either PSE8 or CS5. Downloading them in windows, you can't see the RAW thumbnail, just the jpeg. When you select a file the Picasa viewer opens and you see the RAW and jpeg full screen and can zoom to look at details. Is there a better viewer that shows the RAW thumbnail?
If you were using Windows 7, I'd recommend the DNG Codec - Adobe Labs but since you're not, I'm not sure. I have a nice desktop back home with Windows XP that I will need to figure out a solution for viewing RAW files on, so I'm interested to find out too. I'm sure there are solutions out there but they might have to bought.

07-17-2012, 06:38 AM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
If you were using Windows 7, I'd recommend the DNG Codec - Adobe Labs but since you're not, I'm not sure. I have a nice desktop back home with Windows XP that I will need to figure out a solution for viewing RAW files on, so I'm interested to find out too. I'm sure there are solutions out there but they might have to bought.

I figure most will say just use Bridge, but I'm not sure about the viewing characteristics. I don't think I'll be using this (XP) machine TOO much longer, but it still works so I don't want to break something that ain't broke. It's a little slow at times with CS5, but I'm considering a video card to see if that will speed things up.

Thanks Tom, I'll check that out when I transition...

Bill
07-17-2012, 06:42 AM   #48
Veteran Member

The great thing about the DNG Codec from Adobe is that you can view the pics right inside the Windows Explorer folder just like you can with JPEGS.
07-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #49

I use a program called FasTone Image Viewer to look through my RAW files. This program is great in the sense that it has it's own "explorer" and it even has some processing features, media conversion, cropping etc.

07-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Snydly Quote
... I use Windows (XP) ... Is there a better viewer that shows the RAW thumbnail?
Yes, it's a simple procedure to get XP to show DNG thumbnails: see How to view DNG thumbnails in Windows
07-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Yes, it's a simple procedure to get XP to show DNG thumbnails: see How to view DNG thumbnails in Windows
That's very helpful Gray, thanks! So now there's even less reason to shoot JPEG.
07-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #52
Veteran Member

I don't always shoot RAW, but when I do, it is RAW+JPEG. I do this because when I process the RAW image (using RawTherapee), I use the out-of-camera JPEG as a reference point. To start, under the Exposure section, I set the contrast to 30 and saturation to 25, and adjust from there.

--DragonLord

07-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ameiji Quote
Wow, that again shows the impressive dynamic range of K5.
That's why I just purchased a K-5.

Personally, I think that the posted image is overcooked, but that is just one man's opinion.

Rob
07-26-2012, 09:43 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Ever since I started doing digital photography, I only used RAW, I never bothered with in camera JPG.

Granted it takes a little of more work with the computer to get to the final product with RAW but then I love to have the feeling of security when using RAW.
07-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
That's why I just purchased a K-5.

Personally, I think that the posted image is overcooked, but that is just one man's opinion.

Rob
It is overcooked. I wanted to see how far I could go.
07-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StDevious Quote
It is overcooked. I wanted to see how far I could go.
Understood. I am very eager to test my K-5 when it arrives.

Rob