Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pop up flash not working

I occasionally use my pop up flash as a fill flash. It doesn't get a lot of use, maybe once or twice every 200-300 shots. Yesterday morning it stopped working. It won't flash in any mode with either manual, A or fully auto DA/FA lenses. The four-way controller indicates "flash mode on". The camera is aware that the flash has been deployed, the blinking flash icon, which comes on in low light situations, turns off when the flash is popped up but no flash. I'm thinking it might be a bad bulb, but it certainly hasn't been over used, maybe 20 or 30 times at the most. Batteries are fully charged. Does anyone have any ideas on what I might try before I send it off to be repaired? I really hate to send it off for something so inconsequential and rarely used, but when I need fill flash I need it, not to mention that there is no reason why I shouldn't have a fully operational camera.

NaCl(any help appreciated)H2O

05-29-2012, 05:47 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
Given the (GN) Guide Number of any built in fill flash... One could indeed find a rather inexpensive and almost pocket sized flash for the hotshoe - hoping that still works.

With myself being a creative photographer; if I had the ideal gadget bag set-up and also had the ideal amont of time to capture a set of images... The bag would include; two bodies; three lens', more filters than one could count, and then be full to the brim with lighting options. I consider effective use of lighting to be just as important as the optics in any lens.
05-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Does your camera's autofocus still work with the pop-up flash up?
If you pop the flash and turn to liveview, the battery indicator goes to 100%?
Might be the exact same problem i have
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r/169498-camera-wont-autofocus-t...-up-flash.html
BUUT, im from Brazil, and there's no Pentax warranty here...i would have to send to a store to get fixed, so i decided to get an AF280T.
05-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Gabriel, I'll check that out tonight. I have the camera with me but unfortunately it's got an A lens mounted on it so no AF in any case. And the batteries are fully charged so I can't check that with live view. In any case I'll send it back for repair if I can't get it to work.

NaCl(no sense in not having a fully operational camera)H2O

05-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
Emperor and Senpai

Just out of curiousity, have you tried resetting the camera?
05-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You may have already checked this, but have you followed the Troubleshooting' advice on p-355 of the K-5 manual?, viz:
Name:  af-not-work-image.gif
Views: 991
Size:  18.1 KB
05-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Pretty sure it's either the bulb or the charging circuit. Resetting to factory defaults did nothing.
@ rawr, Flash does not fire in ANY mode, Av, Tv, M, Program, even the dedicated flash mode X.
If I set "disable shutter release while charging" to ON and pop up the flash, the shutter won't fire, so the camera thinks either the flash is discharged or is charging. When set to OFF shutter works as intended.
My external 540 flash works.

NaCl(looks like it's going to the camera hospital)H2O
05-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Gotta ask if you are wearing a hat with a brim that slightly depresses the flash?

05-30-2012, 04:56 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
@ special K, no hat brim, if I wear a hat it's either a beret or a bucket hat with the front brim turned up a bit. The camera knows that the flash is deployed as the blinking flash icon turns off if the flash is popped up.
What baffles me is that the popup was 'working as intended' ever since I got the camera in Feb. Like I said I don't use it often so it doesn't have more than 20-30 actuations, but it all of a sudden stopped working.

NaCl(baffling)H2O
05-30-2012, 05:02 AM   #10
Forum Member

I had this problem once-- turned out in my case I had the flash mode set to wireless mode. It was trying to trigger a flash that wasn't there!

Here's hoping your problem is something simple!
05-30-2012, 06:58 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
@ Mr. H
I wish it was that simple. That was the first thing I checked.

NaCl(I'll be calling prodigital in a few)H2O
05-30-2012, 07:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Seems like it is the exact same problem i'm facing
05-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
Seems like it is the exact same problem i'm facing
Except that my auto focus lenses focus with the popup deployed, and live view works too. The only disfunction I have is that if I have "Disable shutter while flash is charging" checked to ON, then the shutter won't fire when the popup is deployed. If I change that to OFF then everything that I know of works except the damn flash won't fire.

NaCl(looks like it's going back and I don't even use the popup all that much)H2O