Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Is this stain? Please help.

I took some photos with my brand-new K5 (manufactured 2 Feb 2012) to test for sensor stain. Please have a look at the attached photos. Is that sensor stain that appears on the left side of the photos? If it is so, I'm very very unlucky. Please advise what I should do. Thanks.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To be honest I can't see it. Apart from on the top image there is a tiny spec about 1/4-1/3 from the left at about half way up. But this looks like dust.

Maybe try shooting against a blue sky (without clouds) at F22 or narrower. Then crop and circle the suspect stain.

And also try giving it a clean with a blower or your preferred method of sensor cleaning
05-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stains generally appear as spots or blotches. On the first image looks like a bar up on the left side of a slightly less contrast. The second image I can't see anything at all. To test for a stain, stop the lens down and use a slow shutter. Move the camera while exposing a blank area like the sky. Any spots will remain stationary will the scene will blur making the dust spot or stain stand out.
05-29-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
My sincerest apologies to all. I thought I had deleted my post. What I thought was stain was actually due to a smudge on my monitor. After I cleaned it, all the photos were clear. I guess I was too excited with my new K5. Thanks a lot though for your response. I'll be more careful next time (I hope no next time). Cheers.

05-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Fantastic, I thought I was the only one who does stuff like that. I can fully relate to that, and to being excited with your new camera.