Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Monitor goes blank with cable release installed

I have a question about my K5. I have searched the forum and read the manual but can't find an answer. I have an older Hama electronic release cable. I used it with my Ricoh XRM's for years. Just a standard 3m jack. My questoin is this:

Whenever I plug the cable release in my monitor goes blank. If I take a shot no preview available or anything. If I press the menu button same thing. Nothing. As soon as I remove the plug, the monitor comes back on. Is this normal? I have tried installing the cable with the camera off too and it made no difference.

Thanks in advance for any info.

05-30-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Is that old Hama-for-Ricoh cable release wired the right way?
When the AF and/or the shutter release connections or mixed up, then things can go weird.
When I made my DIY cable release, I had the wiring mixed up by carelessness, then the screens and actually the whole camera went nuts...
The correct diagram for a DIY cable release can easily be found on the net, search for the Canon cable release with a 2,5 mm jack, it's the same as for Pentax.

Last edited by philippe; 05-31-2012 at 03:00 AM.
05-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I used it with my Ricoh XRM's for years. Just a standard 3m jack.
That's not normal.
If the release cable uses a 3mm plug it will not work as the camera has a 2.5mm jack.
05-31-2012, 03:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If that cable release is mono phased, what I think it is, no AF function, and thus has only two connections, then it will be shortcutting jour Pentax because this one has two phases, one for the AF and one for releasing the shutter by this it will need three connections.
Have a look at the jack and see if there are three connections divided by two black plastic rings...

Last edited by philippe; 06-02-2012 at 12:02 AM.
05-31-2012, 05:23 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. It is a 2.5mm jack but only has one plastic ring. I guess it's time to order some new accessories.