Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #1

Using custom WB / Colorright Pro with K5/

Hello-
I haven't had nearly enough time to learn my 1 year old K5 and custom white balance still seems mysterious to me. I understand the concept but neither the Pentax K5 manual or the single nikon/Canon oriented instruction sheet that came with the Colorright Pro (got a great deal before I know how to use it!) were very explicit.

Perhaps it's just caffeine deprivation or working 12 12-hour days in a row, that has turned my brain to mush, but can someone explain to me what each of the steps would be in using the Colorright Pro ColorRight PRO White Balance Product with the K5?

thank you.

06-01-2012, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are some steps to take:
  1. Whip out your camera
  2. Press the WB button on the back
  3. Keep pressing the WB button until the "custom WB" icon is highlighted (looks like a square with 2 little triangles under it). You can store 3 custom WB's.
  4. Press the "right" 4-way button twice (this button is also the custom image button)
  5. Disable AF (by switching to MF on the front of the camera, or holding the AF button, if you have it set to disable)
  6. Hold the Colorright Pro in front of your lens and point the camera toward the scene you will be photographing (the Colorrights collect incident light from 180 around you, so they work best when not pointed directly at a light source).
  7. Press the shutter button (you have just captured the diffuse color of light in the room)
  8. Press "OK" button to set this color as neutral
  9. While in the WB screen, you can use the DOF preview (the On/Off switch when pulled beyond ON) to take a quick shot to verify that the WB is correct for the scene
  10. Press "OK" again to exit the WB setting screen

I'm sure there's an easier/ faster way to do this, I'm just not aware of it. I use my Colorright very rarely since I shoot in raw and post-process everything to death!

Last edited by panoguy; 06-01-2012 at 09:09 AM.
06-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #3

Forgive my nativity, but it always seems a tad reminiscent of the days when a stand alone exposure meter was the norm; by the time you'd sorted the exposure, the image or opportunity had changed.gone.

Why not just shot in RAW with AWB and correct the WB as appropriate in Lightroom or whatever?
06-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WightWalker Quote
Forgive my nativity, but it always seems a tad reminiscent of the days when a stand alone exposure meter was the norm; by the time you'd sorted the exposure, the image or opportunity had changed.gone.
Just like the days when a stand alone exposure meter was the norm, this is not for fleeting moments or prior to every shot. Setting a custom WB is for when you have the time and the inclination to get the WB right without guessing later on by looking for a neutral patch to sample in Lightroom or whatever. Trust me; I'm an expert at the "fix it in post" method, and I still have a WB sampling device.

06-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you very much! That sounds simpler than I expected.
06-02-2012, 06:20 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WightWalker Quote

Why not just shot in RAW with AWB and correct the WB as appropriate in Lightroom or whatever?

W-e-l-l-l... I haven't got that far yet! I gave up photography with film though I was at least decent (and occasionally pretty good) at it, a long time ago when it got too expensive. Rent/food/clothing vs pictures. So my style is similar to film. I will gravitate towards getting the image I want at the click of the shutter.

I hadn't heard of RAW until I picked up the manual and have had no experience with PP other than Picasa. I'll get there some day though!