Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #16
BAB
Forum Member

Original Poster
I don't blame you. And now I know why you wanted to be able to use the aperture ring -- necessary to use manual lenses. Which I just discovered. I suspect wading through the menus is better than wading through the manual. Although the manual isn't so bad when viewed through the bottom of a wine glass

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
I'm asking because I don't want to dive into the huge instruction manual.
The sensor along with the (better?) AF was the main reason for my purchase (ALONG with the smaller size).
I guess i'll just have to hunker down and get down and dirty with my new camera!

Thanks again,
Ray

06-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I just did the firmware update and fired'er up, compared to my K20 the shutter is whisper quiet and the high ISO is something to behold.
I know there have been several threads about AF problems but i'm just not seeing it (yet?). AF is blazing and spot on in so so light with my Sigma 17-70 HSM/OS lens. I likey so far!
06-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm also using a Sigma 17-70 and the AF compared to my k10 is incredible.
06-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #19
BAB
Forum Member

Original Poster
I think the problems with low-light auto focus have been resolved. Early on, I had a friend who went through three K-5s before getting one that would work as well as his old K-10 in low light. But I mean low light -- below EV4. There was, however, a firmware update that helped correct the problem. The vast majority of K-5 owners never had any problems, perhaps because they never shoot in light that low. There were other models of cameras that have had similar problems. I have a suspicion that the rather extraordinary sensors available today just got ahead of the autofocus capabilities and the latter had to be tightened up.

Very much enjoy the quiet shutter. I'm in the process of a documentary, so I'm certain I'm not the only one who will appreciate the quiet shutter.

Just for the hell of it, I took a photo at ISO 12800 last night, in rather dim mixed tungsten/fluorescent light. Here's the result (70mm limited at f/2.4).
https://themotec1.netfirms.com/Users/Hosted/cdn/images/pentaxforums/attach/jpg.gif

DxO rates this sensor at a rather amazing 14 stops of dynamic range at ISO 80. 13 at ISO 200.

Really glad I finally got one of these.

BAB

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BAB Quote
I think the problems with low-light auto focus have been resolved. Early on, I had a friend who went through three K-5s before getting one that would work as well as his old K-10 in low light. But I mean low light -- below EV4. There was, however, a firmware update that helped correct the problem. The vast majority of K-5 owners never had any problems, perhaps because they never shoot in light that low. There were other models of cameras that have had similar problems. I have a suspicion that the rather extraordinary sensors available today just got ahead of the autofocus capabilities and the latter had to be tightened up.

Very much enjoy the quiet shutter. I'm in the process of a documentary, so I'm certain I'm not the only one who will appreciate the quiet shutter.

Just for the hell of it, I took a photo at ISO 12800 last night, in rather dim mixed tungsten/fluorescent light. Here's the result (70mm limited at f/2.4).
https://themotec1.netfirms.com/Users/Hosted/cdn/images/pentaxforums/attach/jpg.gif

DxO rates this sensor at a rather amazing 14 stops of dynamic range at ISO 80. 13 at ISO 200.

Really glad I finally got one of these.

BAB
What lens and settings BAB?
06-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Sorry BAB I missed it..............my bad!
06-03-2012, 01:25 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K5 manual

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
I think it's always worth looking through the manual if you can.
I got a Japanese manual with mine and my Japanese is nowhere near the level it takes to read and understand this camera jargon.
So, this thread is quite useful for me too.
I was hoping magic lantern would produce a guide like I got for the k10, but looks doubtful now.
can get copy from:
http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-5.pdf