Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
help with K-5 malfunction

I was shooting a dance recital yesterday when my SD card filled up. Since I was in the audience and couldn't easily move, I was struggling to replace the SD card and assume I made some mistake, since when I got the new card in the camera, the K-5 promptly malfunctioned. It would not show anything on the back screen; it's blank. When the camera is off, the top LCD shows a few swiggly lines; when the camera is on, the top LCD reads normally. I tried two different cards in the camera, but it appears to be a camera problem.

My guess is that I changed the cards with the camera on?

Any help?

06-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I change the card with Camera on without any issues
Suggestion
Take all battery, and after reinstalled them . If not working . Reset camera to factory setting
06-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the camera on, hit the info button a few times to see if it is not just cycled to off.
06-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried recharging both batteries (from camera and grip), putting in a new SD card, reinserting the batteries, and then starting it up again. Now, inexplicably, it's fine. Hallelujah! Back to shooting, but I missed a neat caterpillar earlier.

06-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #5

Hello all

Afraid that my introduction is not under the best imaginable circumstances. I googled this behavior because my K-5 did the same thing today. I removed the SD card to download images and replaced it. When I did, the camera immediately started behaving rather oddly.

Shutter/mirror noise was dramatically different.
Menu key no longer worked.
Info key no longer worked.
No "no card in camera" on display.. no display at all for that matter, when actuating shutter.
Shutting the camera off left stray glyphs on the data LCD.
I could not correct this by pressing anything. Removing the card and reinstalling it had no effect. It was only when I took the battery out and replaced it that everything went back to normal.

This makes me a little nervous that you saw this too, and so recently.