Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #1

Help to identify possible sensor stain

Hi:

I am a new owner of a Pentax k5 (it is my first Pentax and also my first DSLR). Can you please give me your opinion if the spot on the right corner of the photo is a stain or dust? I perform several times the dust cleaner on the K5 but the problem ramains. (Please don't look to photo quality. I take this only to check stain problems at f32 200mm).

Thank you for you help.

Flash38

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's dust- try blowing it off or firing DR a few times.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

The typical stain patterns are pictured in some of the many old threads (12-18 months). If you check them out I believe it will put you at ease next time you notice a spot.
06-06-2012, 01:03 AM   #4
Forum Member

dust

I had identical spots. If you donīt want to worry about it, take it to colorfoto and ask them to clean the sensor. i paid 30€

06-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
hi, you can calm yourself, it is only dust, from time to time such dust pattern occurs.

Greetings, Sascha
06-09-2012, 11:46 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you for your answers. I am worried as I buy my k5 2 weeks ago. I didn't realize that the camera could have dust already.

In any case I include here a crop of the zone were the spot is located. The dust removal on K5 doesn't eliminate it. The dust alert also don't identify this spot...

Do you think that PENTAX will clan it for free? in negative case and if blowing it don't desapear do you think it is better to do a "professional" wet clean now or wait for a more dust serious situatin on the futur?

Thank you again and sorry my english,

Regards
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-09-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That should blow off or be removed by the cameras dust removal. Tip- set dust removal to activate when you turn the camera on!

I don't think Pentax should be expected to clean the sensor for free, especially such a trivial dust spot!
06-10-2012, 01:26 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

or get a Air Brush, Air Duster ( compressed air in a can) , I use it regularly , blows everything away.
costs ~ $20 ( in Australia) for a big can ( 400ml/460g) which will last you for months.

06-10-2012, 05:50 AM   #9

When you purchase a new dSRL the sensor should be clean - sadly that's not always the case & I believe that it's the same for all manufacturers.

Dust is always going to get onto the sensor - a big zoom will act like a pump drawing air into the lens which can get deposited on the sensor. So it doesn't matter whether you keep one lens on ALL the time or swap lens; although the latter should always be done with care & not in windy/dusty conditions.

Unlike a film camera where the film is drawn across the back of the camera shifting any dust that might fall upon it (I can remember horizontal scratches across the developed film from dust) the only way to eliminate dust after the 'in-camera' dust removal mechanism has failed, is to resort to a 'rocket blower' in the first instance, then using a proprietory cleaner or to have it done professionally.

However, as you've only had the K5 a couple of weeks (as did I & it had to go back to Pentax because the dealer couldn't remove it) I'd suggest getting the dealer to clean it.

Given the location of the dust spec in the top right corner, I'd just live with it & clone it out with a graphics package when it becomes noticable. I do a lot of post processing where the image is cropped or it's aspect changed which would often place your dust spect outside the finished image.
Attached Images