Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #1

Battery Grip Question

Hello I got a cheap grip on Amazon and I was wondering if its working right. I have to turn the camera on the normal way then to use the grip controls to turn the grip on is this normal. also I took the battery out of the camera and put just the grip on and the camera wont power up, one of the reasons for the grip is to double my running time how does this work do I have to leave the grip power switch on and the normal battery in the camera? and it feeds power?

06-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
correct that the ON/OFF dial on the grip is for powering up the grip itself, not the camera.
06-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a genuine Pentax grip. This is how it works:

I have the battery in the grip, not the camera. There is a menu selection to use the battery in the grip first. I have that selected. I think that it is in Tools #3.

I turn on the camera with the switch on the camera. The grip switch is turned off. All the functions on the camera will work, but none of them will work on the grip.

With the camera switch on, I turn on the power switch on the grip. If I do that all of the functions both on the camera and on the grip will work.

If I have the camera switch off and turn on the grip switch alone I get no power.

Hope that helps.
06-05-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been using a Phottix grip for several months on my K-5. It has got an issue that the rear wheel does not work occassionally and fortunately I've found it can be reactivated by pressing the green button on the grip.

Then the grip is always attached on the camera since 1)power concern can be put aside; 2)it makes the camera more stable and level in taking contintuous portrait photos of birds.

Now my K-5 looks strange if the grip is taken off ... from my eyes!

Last edited by SKwan; 06-06-2012 at 12:17 AM.
06-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I use AA Sanyo Eneloops only, so battery in the grip only, works fine with K5 and K7
06-06-2012, 02:50 AM   #6

K-5 and official Pentax grip

This is my experience: the ON-OFF dial on the grip means the status of the grip itself only.
You must set "ON" on the camera body for taking picture even if the grip itself is set to ON.

After having used the grip for a couple of weeks, I never took it off: the camera feels better in my hands even if it's heavier.
The only bad new is that you have to give more attention to the grip shutter button to avoid unvoluntary pics being taken by the camera itself when you walk.

Maybe this last one is a new way to approach photography ... ;-)
06-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Is the Pentax grip weather resistant? Also can i use the battery in the camera and AAs in the grip at the same time or is it one or the other?

thx
06-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EdwardConde Quote
Is the Pentax grip weather resistant? Also can i use the battery in the camera and AAs in the grip at the same time or is it one or the other?

thx
Yes to both your questions. I haven't handled a third party grip, but the on/off switch and buttons on the OEM grip are the same ones that are on the camera. I have seen pics of third party grips that look like the switch and buttons came from Fisher Price's reject pile.

06-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #9

Original Poster
I got it working but its very cheap and I will prob get the brand name grip.
06-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

awesome.. good to know i can still use my rechargables..
07-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Is it safe to use a third party grip along with a shoulder strap?
07-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #12

*slight hijack, but there should be a poll similar to the SDM lens reliability for third party grips. I had one on my first k-5, an el-cheapo whitebox ebay special and that thing was very unreliable. But my Pentax grip has been bulletproof.
07-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by coreyhkh Quote
I got it working but its very cheap and I will prob get the brand name grip.
You will be very happy with the Pentax grip. It is a natural extension of the camera and it has never failed me. I know it seems like a lot for a battery grip, but truthfully it is worth it. It is nice that it is weather sealed too.