Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2012, 05:33 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Pentax K5 issues raised on this forum

Hi. I have had my K5 for about 2 weeks now and, so far, I'm quite happy with it. I find that it shoots, based on my very short experience with it, better photos compared to my previous Pentax DSLRs. However, after reading members' posts (I"m still on page 7), I'm now a bit worried that my new camera might one day soon suffer from one or some of the many issues that have been raised (e.g., AF back/front focusing, camera freezing up, mirror flop, pop-up flash not firing, weird battery indicator behaviour, camera refusing to turn-off, etc.). I have not had any of these problems with my *ist DS, K200D and K7. Is the K5 really that prone to so many issues? How does it compare with other DSLRs in its class? Is my worry unfounded? Your comments will be much appreciated.

06-06-2012, 05:37 AM   #2
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by el baroda Quote
Is my worry unfounded?
yes. you are spending too much time reading the forums, period.
06-06-2012, 05:44 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In six months now I've had to pull my battery twice from freezeup, which is fewer 'reboots' than my home computer in that time. I don't think I have heard of a lens that was focusing nicely ever falling out of focus, suddenly being front or back focus.. but a new lens could require the adjustment. I've needed no adjustments but now know the center AF point is in the lower right of the red square! I'd call freezing and not turning off the same issue, so that helps shorten your list I have not seen any other issues, but I now let the camera sit a few minutes powered off after a battery change, which I've heard reduces the mirror-flop issue.

Considering the K-5 really is a computer at heart, I am quite satisfied with the few issues. I cannot claim more or less than others - it's more troublesome than my old Alpha A200 but this camera is a huge step up in sophistication from that one.
06-06-2012, 06:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Don't turn into a camera hypochondiac. The K200D, K7 and K-x also had their own long list of reported bugs and ailments during the time they were in production. Trawl through this forum to see an abundance of gripes about them. But despite this they were (and still are) good cameras.

6 months on, I have never touched the AF adjustment function on the K-5, and my K-5 only needed re-starting once a few days after I bought it. That's been about it.

06-06-2012, 06:35 AM   #5
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Have had my K-5 for about a year now. No problems, and no adjustments needed. Stop worrying and enjoy your fantastic camera!

And, as jimr-pdx said, if a lens needs adjustment you'll know right away - it doesn't suddenly happen after a while.
06-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have had my K5 for 6 months now. One thing I can say is to "invest" $20 in a Pentax 2 year extended warranty bringing the overall time frame to 3 years.
06-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I only had 2 freeze up and that was because of PKtether.
For the rest no problems.

06-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I have had my K5 for 6 months now. One thing I can say is to "invest" $20 in a Pentax 2 year extended warranty bringing the overall time frame to 3 years.
Different country
06-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi. I won't be able to thank you individually but please accept my sincere thanks for your comments and suggestions. (I think the biggest part of my worry was my better-half proving she was right when she said I didn't need the K5.) Cheers.
06-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I brought a used, 6 month-old K-5 and owned it for another 6 months and had never had any sort of problem with it.
I've had issues with K-x and K20d not showing the correct battery life and not saving pictures to SD cards, but in most cases, things like this are usually fixed by a firmware update. Also, K-5 has AF adjustment, so in the worst case, you'll have to perform the test and adjust your lens accordingly, which really isn't a problem.

Don't worry so much. Enjoy your K-5, don't regret purchasing it, and should you have any problems or questions, just post here and I'm sure you'll get what you needed.
06-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by el baroda Quote
Hi. I have had my K5 for about 2 weeks now and, so far, I'm quite happy with it. I find that it shoots, based on my very short experience with it, better photos compared to my previous Pentax DSLRs. However, after reading members' posts (I"m still on page 7), I'm now a bit worried that my new camera might one day soon suffer from one or some of the many issues that have been raised (e.g., AF back/front focusing, camera freezing up, mirror flop, pop-up flash not firing, weird battery indicator behaviour, camera refusing to turn-off, etc.). I have not had any of these problems with my *ist DS, K200D and K7. Is the K5 really that prone to so many issues? How does it compare with other DSLRs in its class? Is my worry unfounded? Your comments will be much appreciated.
Between me, my brother-in-law and his father, we have K100D, two K10D, K-7 (now sold) and K-5 and we've never had any problems. I previously believed I had FF issue with my K-5 & Tamron 17-50 combo so I "carefully" did focus adjustment prior to a family vacation trip to Disneyland. After taking about 100 photos, I noticed the photos were BF. Then I tried to reset the focus adjustment back to 0 and everything was fine! After the trip I checked all my lenses (about 30 of them, LBA you know) including those that I previously thought having FF/BF issue, and they actually are all fine. So no more BF/FF adjustment for me. My point is that don't be so wrapped up into the FF/BF hysteria. You only hear about the issues from a few on the forums while I believe most have no issues but don't say anything. I hope this calm your mind and enjoy shooting.
06-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Doanh Quote
You only hear about the issues from a few on the forums while I believe most have no issues but don't say anything. I hope this calm your mind and enjoy shooting.
You're absolutely right and I'm gonna continue enjoying my K5. Thanks.
06-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
Don't worry so much. Enjoy your K-5, don't regret purchasing it, and should you have any problems or questions, just post here and I'm sure you'll get what you needed.
Will do. Thanks a lot.
06-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Considering the K-5 really is a computer at heart, I am quite satisfied with the few issues. .
Thanks.
06-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #15

Everything that you buy can develop faults - electronic equipment particularly with firmware will fail at some stage either in terms of a firmware lockup issue or hard failure.

Those in the electronics industry will mention the bath tub curve i.e. more potential failures during the early weeks, then a long period of reliability &, as the equipment gets older, less reliable.

Last edited by WightWalker; 06-06-2012 at 08:54 AM.