Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #1

Katzeye focussing screens - UK buyers

I am thinking about replacing my K5 screen with a split image/microprism, possibly with Optibrite. Obviously UK VAT at 20% will be added, but I cannot find out what the customs duty etc would be in the UK. Are there any forum members in the UK who have bought one of these who can tell me a bit about the customs charge?

Thanks, if you can!

Ray

06-10-2012, 03:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't remember how much but for my k10 i got nailed as it was shipped by US mail Katz called that express mail international,[ which was not express once parcel force got hold of it over 10 days],

That involves parcel force at this end who charge you for cutoms inspection even if you have no duty to pay. and you will pay vat

Katz eye offer a dhl type service as a alternative I seem to remember, again my experience with couriers is very favorable for goods from the US or elsewhere, very quick and often no vat or duty seems to get charged. also no charge for customs submission.

The problem is balacing the higher courier charge against the parcelforce charge and the gamble on vat and duties.

Sorry I can't help any more, but my suggeation is use the courier service and avoid parcelfarce at all times.

Last edited by adwb; 06-10-2012 at 07:40 AM.
06-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #3

I would also like to get a focusing screen from the States, from focusingscreen.com. But I know that customs charges and VAT will mean having to pay as much in charges as for the screen itself.

I'm waiting for someone I know to visit the States so they can bring one back to me. But if you manage to figure out a way to do it without the charges, then please let me know!
06-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

OK from parceforce's delivery notes the following info:
good purchased and imported into the EU with a value over 15.00 will be charged VAT, and with a value over 135 will pay import duty.
good sent as a gift from one private person to another with a value over 40.00 are subject to customs charges.
parcelforce's handling fee is or was 13.50
Katz eye will not issue false or incorrect invoices. This is however a regular offer from suppliers in HK or china when using their postal service and therefore parcelfarce.

My experience is that you rarely pay any vat or courier fees on good from the USA if imported by a courier DHL, etc. you have to balance the courier cost which is much higher than the parcel post against the vat and possible customs charges of parcel post, this assumes you will get it vat and customs free with a courier.

this makes sense to me but then I wrote it and know what \i mean, I hope it helps you,

06-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I ordered one for my K5 from Focusingscreens.com back in November.

Cost: US$82.31. International Express Mail: US$14.16 Tax (3.4%): US$3.28

Total: US$99.75 (66.31)

Parcelfarce - release for delivery charge (which assume included duty. I can't recall but didn't incur any additional costs): 25.70

Was the screen worth it for over 90? Probably not. I'll have a go at cutting one down myself next time for about one third of the cost.

QuoteOriginally posted by monk Quote
I would also like to get a focusing screen from the States, from focusingscreen.com. But I know that customs charges and VAT will mean having to pay as much in charges as for the screen itself.

I'm waiting for someone I know to visit the States so they can bring one back to me. But if you manage to figure out a way to do it without the charges, then please let me know!

Focusingscreen.com are in the Far East. Why are you waiting for someone to visit the States?
06-12-2012, 01:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimD Quote
Was the screen worth it for over 90? Probably not. I'll have a go at cutting one down myself next time for about one third of the cost.
What I bought from KATZEYE was a split prism screen with no marking and no optibright for my K10d, I would also query the high cost vs value but the split screen is nice to use with older manual focus lenses.
06-12-2012, 02:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Have you looked at alternatives to the Katzeye?
I think the Katzeyes are hopelessly overpriced.

Apparently the "Canon EE-S" is the bee's knees and you can obtain it from focusingscreen.com (and probably from ebay). It doesn't have a split prism but shows the real DOF even at f/1.4.
06-12-2012, 03:53 AM   #8

Original Poster
Katzeye update

Thanks to all of the forum members who have replied to my post. I have since spoken to HMRC Customs dept and obtained a category code of 8529909790 for this item - but heavens knows if this is correct or not! Apparently, there is no duty payable if the UK equivalent price is below 135. VAT is added at 20%, of course - but the killer cost is postage. UPS charges over 37! Hardly a heavy or large item andd although this covers insurance, the total cost with OptiBrite is coming out at 160. This is making me think again!

Ray

06-12-2012, 05:11 AM   #9

Focusingscreen.com are in the Far East. Why are you waiting for someone to visit the States?
Oh I thought that they were in the States so I could get it delivered there avoiding import duties, and then get a friend to bring it back. But if they are in the far east, then this doesn't work!

I don't believe it, they are in Taiwan and I just had some friends come back from Taiwan
I must be cursed
06-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

Apparently the "Canon EE-S" is the bee's knees and you can obtain it from focusingscreen.com (and probably from ebay). It doesn't have a split prism but shows the real DOF even at f/1.4.

That's the one I got from Focusingscreen.com and question whether it's worth 90+. It's great with fast lenses but with anything over F4 and in low light it isn't.
06-13-2012, 01:11 AM   #11
Pentaxian

That's the one I got from Focusingscreen.com and question whether it's worth 90+. It's great with fast lenses but with anything over F4 and in low light it isn't.
I'm fairly certain it can be had for less money, but haven't done the price hunting as I'm not someone who replaces their focusing screen.

It is normal for the screen to become darkish once lenses are stopped down (or are slow to start with). A compromise is a split-prism screen which supports focusing at f/1.4 but only in the center. The rest of the screen will be brighter in comparison, but you cannot use it for obtaining precise focus. The split-prism area will completely black out at some point as well.

I personally regard it as a feature of the Canon Ee-S screen that you can focus precisely on any part of the screen. One cannot have that and a bright screen at higher f-ratios at the same time.
06-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rayhf1485 Quote
Thanks to all of the forum members who have replied to my post. I have since spoken to HMRC Customs dept and obtained a category code of 8529909790 for this item - but heavens knows if this is correct or not! Apparently, there is no duty payable if the UK equivalent price is below 135. VAT is added at 20%
This is indeed the case - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/142241-best-screen-ever-manual...ml#post1731300
Is it worth it ? The cut down ee-s certainly makes focusing with fast manual lenses easy. But watch out, it will screw up viewfinder metering with slow lenses
06-14-2012, 01:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The katz eye I bought for my K1od was with out optibright and despite the warnings I do not have a problem with blacking out at low light, it does happen occasionally, but the extra optibright cost i don't think justifies the small benefit.

BUT

There is no doubt the the exposure readings on spot measurement ONLY are sometimes out. the other two modes work fine however.