Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Focal length setting

I don't have my camera with me and I am just taking a break at work, but I thought that I would ask anyway.

Can you assign a button to change the focal length setting? I shoot a lot of manual focus and it would be helpful to change the focal length easily with a manual zoom to get SR to work properly. Another option might be setting up the User custom settings. Haven't done it though. Leaving the menu on the focal length setting is another option I suppose. Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

06-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't think that option exists. I avoid SR with MF zooms, if I'm zooming. Better to shoot in good light with a fast shutter and SR off. If I *must* use SR with a MF zoom, I usually just set the lens and SR'bot to one focal length and leave them there.
06-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I don't think that option exists. I avoid SR with MF zooms, if I'm zooming. Better to shoot in good light with a fast shutter and SR off. If I *must* use SR with a MF zoom, I usually just set the lens and SR'bot to one focal length and leave them there.
I guess that begs my next question: What shutter speed do you need to shoot in order to make SR ineffective? I'll start a new thread so that trolls can apply as well.
06-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think I noticed that 'ineffective' thread. My answer to the specific question: slower than 5/FL, depending on your cam-handling technique. I'm trained for stable shooting (with a .45 ACP anyway) and I can get *some* acceptable shots when shooting so slow. Some, but not many, not freehand. If I'm at 5/FL or slower, I'm either braced against something, or SR is off and the camera is immobilized and I use shutter delay.

Falk Lumo's tests showed SR giving a gain of 2-4 f-stops depending on focal length and shutter speed. I recall an absence of negative effects of SR at any speed, if the focal length is entered accurately. But I think once you drop below the 4-f-stop threshold, SR may not be of much use. Which is why I don't shoot my 1000/10 mirror handheld at 1/100!!

06-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

i just flick the power switch off and on then set the new focal length.
06-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
Pentaxian

If you're using SR with an MF zoom, set the shutter speed to match the highest FL.