Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #1

considering go for the k5

hi people,
just wanted to know if you guys think this is a good deal
k-5 + Tamron 18-200 mm + SMC DA 35 mm - f/2,4 AL ALL NEW
1000$

i want to buy a pentax k-5,i thought this would be a nice deal..
need opinions from you people

thanks from Europe

06-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #2

yeap, very nice deal.
consider that the cheapest k-5 is around $915(new) and the da is little more than $150 (new) well, even without the tammy, its a very good deal !
i say go for it, i've been trying other cameras, and everytime i smile because of the choice i made with the k-5, its just better, even against more expensive competitors.
and the backwards mount compatibility + sensor shift... makes it an even better deal
go for it, and have fun !
06-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That is a good deal if it is new.

However, if you want ultimate image quality, the 18-200 may not be good enough for you, though it would be a handy walk-around lens, and certainly good enough for most things, perhaps.
06-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by obscura Quote
yeap, very nice deal.
consider that the cheapest k-5 is around $915(new) and the da is little more than $150 (new) well, even without the tammy, its a very good deal !
i say go for it, i've been trying other cameras, and everytime i smile because of the choice i made with the k-5, its just better, even against more expensive competitors.
and the backwards mount compatibility + sensor shift... makes it an even better deal
go for it, and have fun !
yes kinda like ,last days,week,i think i read all the reviews there are about it lol
the only thing that concerns me is video,i would to see more video quality in future pentax models,is not that i needed to,but is like evrything,if you have it,you ll try it and like it for sure,i was divided between the D7000 and k5,because of the systems,to become FF,but i dont know man,i want something small,street photography most,walk around,portraits,im excited cause i wanna to try some strobism,so i need lights too,im pretty sure this k5 is more than enough for me,and its a bargain!

thanks my friend

06-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
That is a good deal if it is new.

However, if you want ultimate image quality, the 18-200 may not be good enough for you, though it would be a handy walk-around lens, and certainly good enough for most things, perhaps.
do you think the 50-200mm wr is better?
i see your point,but for me,the tammy is kinda of free on this package
06-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sinched Quote
do you think the 50-200mm wr is better?
i see your point,but for me,the tammy is kinda of free on this package
I have the 18-200 Tamron and use it a lot. Lately it has been on the camera more than any other. I don't know about the 50-200 WR but I had an older FA 50-200 that I used for a while but I like the 18-200 better. It may depend on the copy of the lens you get. I've seen some great shots with it despite the reviews it tends to get. For the price of the package you should be fine. If nothing else, put it up for sale in the Marketplace if you aren't happy with it.
06-13-2012, 02:18 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sinched Quote
i want something small,street photography most,walk around,portraits
I have a Leica M8 for street photography for several years (I still use it). It does not draw attention and is reliable.
Then when i need AF in a small light weight package with good IQ for shooting indoor events, i purchase the K5 with FA 31Ltd.
12K shots later, i still love it. The IQ is not far from Leica.... I don't need a Cannikon.... (I have used Nikon for 20 years before K5)

I am yet to get a flash for K5. If necessary, i use the onboard flash with flash compensation down to -2 stop and PP the raw files in photoshop.

K5 and DA35 lens is worth more than 1K.....

All the best!

06-13-2012, 04:24 AM   #8

the nice thing with the 31lmtd is that its fast, and equals to a normal lens on a k-5
but the 31 is expensive.
you could buy the 40lmtd, veery nice IQ, very very small, unintrusive and very portable. maybe a little long for street, and maybe not so fast (compared to the 31), but i think its very versatile.
also, its cheaper

i have the 50-200wr, its a good lens, but not for everyday use, you'll definitely miss the wide side, but it has good autofocus and very decent IQ for the price until 160-170mm, after that its soft... not bad, just soft. The 18-135 is definitely better for everyday, but its more expensive and big !
an almost normal prime 31/35/40/43 will be better IQ wise, and for every day use, and from these primes i prefer the 40.
but you already have the 35, so you'll be fine for now.
I would love a more wide-normal pancake da lens... if the 31 was more pancake like and had quickshift... and was cheaper... ohh it would be a dream lens !

all in all, the package is veeery good deal.

Last edited by obscura; 06-13-2012 at 05:21 AM.